Splicer
55 posts

Re: (SPOILER) Joel & Ellie's journey mapped out across the US

Jun 22, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

FiftyFourForty wrote:

I had the idea that around 18-20 months elapsed from the time they left the safe zone in Boston to the time they arrived back at Tommy's in Wyoming after leaving Salt Lake City.

Obviously Joel won't change much since he is a fully grown man in his late 40s or early-mid 50s, but Ellie is probably around 16 by the time the game ends and she looks the same as she did when the game began.

Joel commented he was "kind of young" when his daughter was born, which would suggest he might have been 16-20 years old at the time, so when she was 10 in 2013, Joel was probably no older than 30, maybe closer to 28 or even 27, which would make him around 47-50 as of 2033 when things start in Boston.

He won't look much different after 18-20 months, but Ellie should probably look less like a child and more like a young woman.

if im not mistaken, the game went from Winter, Spring, Summer, Winter back to Spring, thats only a little over a year, around 14 months.

Ellie said she was 14 years old when they met up with Henry and Sam. so at the most she would be 15 by the end of the game.

As best I can tell, the game starts in the spring/summer of 2033, there's no way it is starting in the winter. It is set in Boston and there's not an inch of snow on the ground and there's no ice anywhere, so it cannot be winter, at least not a Boston winter.

I figure it starts in spring/summer, then it goes winter, spring, summer, winter, spring, so basically 2 full years.

Fifty-four Forty or Fight!!!!!
Message 11 of 24 (1,236 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
570 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

You know, like I said earlier in the thread about the journey. I think this is what happened. The game was too big, as in, too much story, they cut a lot we know, probably why it got delayed. When Henry kills himself in Pittsburgh, BAM, all of a sudden, you're in Wyoming. It was so abrupt, and in my opinion the only part of the game that felt weird. I think there was some kind of conetent between Pittsburgh and Wyoming, that must be the cut cotent. It would've been cool, but ND must have though it was for the better.

Message 12 of 24 (1,207 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Jun 23, 2013

It says the season at each quarter, beginning with Summer, then Fall, Winter and wrapping up with Spring. Ellie notes she's 14 to Joel early on, in the Summer season. I can see a journey West, with all its obstacles, taking 250 - 300 days. When exiting the UEC we can see snow falling, so it's likely we only just catch the end of the fall season in that quarter.

Although there is a bit of a gap there. Assumedly they'd spent that whole time walking which could have chewed up the rest of Summer and the most of Fall. All that would have changed for Ellie and Joel is the length of their hair; granted, I could imagine Ellie acting the hairdresser in that scenario.

It's good to see this mapped out vaguely. I'm not an American resident, so my geography of the path they took is way off. For some reason I had a West to East journey in my head while playing it through; although knowing where Boston is I knew that couldn't be right.

Splicer
55 posts

Jun 23, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

You know, like I said earlier in the thread about the journey. I think this is what happened. The game was too big, as in, too much story, they cut a lot we know, probably why it got delayed. When Henry kills himself in Pittsburgh, BAM, all of a sudden, you're in Wyoming. It was so abrupt, and in my opinion the only part of the game that felt weird. I think there was some kind of conetent between Pittsburgh and Wyoming, that must be the cut cotent. It would've been cool, but ND must have though it was for the better.

I for one would like to know how they crossed the Mississippi River, and for that matter the Missouri River.

I imagine there might have been something about their crossing the Mississippi River near St. Louis or perhaps further north in Iowa.

Message 14 of 24 (1,145 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 23, 2013

FiftyFourForty wrote:

JOSH55886 wrote:

I for one would like to know how they crossed the Mississippi River, and for that matter the Missouri River.

I imagine there might have been something about their crossing the Mississippi River near St. Louis or perhaps further north in Iowa.

Raft

It's unsinkable and stronger than the Titanic. 

"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 15 of 24 (1,121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4797 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

No one can walk 36 days and walk that distant. You are forgetting landscapes: rivers, mountains, wealther conditions wildlife and other obstacles that would make the journey a bit longer than a month. Have you walked 16 miles nonstop. After your feet will be hurting and you need a break. Now if they will just sticking to the highways, and to some degree, they did, after they got the truck. But sometimes the main highways were a death trap.

Thanks,
FreshRevenge

celebrity fashion gallery

photo 512d0aca-9476-4802-855d-3554158e2e5e_zps0b4ea223.jpg
Message 16 of 24 (1,116 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 23, 2013

Not every kid changes a lot from 14 to 16 so it isn't surprising to me that Ellie's look didn't change. Also don't forget she is infected to some degree and no way to know how that would affect a persons growth rate/puberty.

That map is one for driving directions. According to my seach it lists that distance at 2300 miles in 35 hours. In order to walk that in 36 days that would mean they are doing about 63 miles a day. Now they did have a truck and a horse for some of that but still that is far too much walking per day especially considering the dangers their trip had.  I would think it would be more like 60 to 70 days or even more.

Message 17 of 24 (1,107 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Kenshen19 wrote:

Not every kid changes a lot from 14 to 16 so it isn't surprising to me that Ellie's look didn't change. Also don't forget she is infected to some degree and no way to know how that would affect a persons growth rate/puberty.

That map is one for driving directions. According to my seach it lists that distance at 2300 miles in 35 hours. In order to walk that in 36 days that would mean they are doing about 63 miles a day. Now they did have a truck and a horse for some of that but still that is far too much walking per day especially considering the dangers their trip had.  I would think it would be more like 60 to 70 days or even more.

They had a vehicle from the Boston area to Pittsburgh and then they had to walk to Wyoming [unless they obtained bicycles or something along the way]... Walking from Pittsburgh to Wyoming is about 1900 miles and goes in or near major cities if you follow the major roads.

Cleveland, Toledo, South Bend, Chicago, Des Moines, Omaha, Lincoln, and then Cheyenne.

I cannot imagine somebody walking much more than 10-20 miles per day, maximum, under the most ideal conditions. There will also be times when they have to stay put for days on end while waiting for hordes of infected or raiders to pass by their camp/hide-out.

Even at 20 miles per day, if they can travel every day, it is still 95 days to cover Pittsburgh to the community in Wyoming.

I would multiply that by a factor of three and say it took them 285 days to get from Pittsburgh to Wyoming, this allows for major adjustments in the route due to cities being in ruins, avoiding raiders/hunters, avoiding hordes of infected, crossing major rivers, dealing with mountain ranges, finding food EVERY day along the way, finding drinking water, taking shelter each night.

We're not talking about simply walking 1900 miles along a well-paved road with friends stationed every 5 miles to give you water and every 10 miles to give you a snack with rest stops every 20 miles so you can rest each night.

They are not on a nature walk, they are on an excursion through hell.

Message 18 of 24 (1,095 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Jun 23, 2013
Yes I know I was commenting on the opening thread which said 36 days. One thing I would think is they would avoid the medium to large cities (or all of them) for safety reasons so that would add miles to the trip.
Message 19 of 24 (1,078 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013
Joel and Ellie went to the University of Colorado outside Boulder, not the Colorado State University in Fort Collins. And I don't believe Google Maps factors in things like, you know, sleeping when calculating time; it just assumes 36 days of walking non-stop 24/7 when in reality they'd probably only be getting 8-12 hours in each day at most, which would quadruple or more the amount of time it would take.

Officially, the journey took them about 9 months. They start in the summer of 2033 and finish in the spring of 2034. Assuming that Ellie's birthday was in the summer, she would still be 14--almost 15--at the end. If her birthday is earlier in the year, then she could potentially have turned 15 by the end, but there's no way she's 16.
Message 20 of 24 (1,054 Views)
0 Likes