Wastelander
671 posts

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

And thats what Im talking about. That whole lab was trying to find a cure. If he said it was a waste of time, what do you think he was refering to? The cure!

Message 21 of 24 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
264 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Hey I'm new to this board but anyways here I go. The way I see the ending regardless if Ellie was the key to a possible cure, the only thing they could have manufactured is a vaccine. A vaccine is not a cure just a temporary fix to a virus. Viruses evolve rendering that stage of vaccine useless. Then again this isn't a virus, it's a fungal infection. This fungus is obviously different than anything seen before because it did evolve over time from being restricted to only insects and into humans. Maybe this vaccine may have helped temporarily if they could have manufactured it with limited supplies and transported it around the world but I doubt this will be possible. This vaccine wouldn't help anyone who is past a certain stage of infection. So how would they even deal with that problem? Also if this fungus has evolved before, it will probably evolve again rendering this vaccine useless. The way I see this game is almost saying that humanity is the disease to Earth, and Earth is reclaiming and ridding the disease. All in all, no matter what I think Ellie's death would have been for nothing.

Message 22 of 24 (128 Views)
Wastelander
671 posts

Jun 22, 2013

BigGZ4CZ wrote:

Hey I'm new to this board but anyways here I go. The way I see the ending regardless if Ellie was the key to a possible cure, the only thing they could have manufactured is a vaccine. A vaccine is not a cure just a temporary fix to a virus. Viruses evolve rendering that stage of vaccine useless. Then again this isn't a virus, it's a fungal infection. This fungus is obviously different than anything seen before because it did evolve over time from being restricted to only insects and into humans. Maybe this vaccine may have helped temporarily if they could have manufactured it with limited supplies and transported it around the world but I doubt this will be possible. This vaccine wouldn't help anyone who is past a certain stage of infection. So how would they even deal with that problem? Also if this fungus has evolved before, it will probably evolve again rendering this vaccine useless. The way I see this game is almost saying that humanity is the disease to Earth, and Earth is reclaiming and ridding the disease. All in all, no matter what I think Ellie's death would have been for nothing.

Interesting. I like it!

Message 23 of 24 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
723 posts

Jun 26, 2013

I could've sworn there was a recording found in the hospital where a doctor talks about unsuccessful attempts with other immune subjects.  I didn't really pay too close attention to what he was saying but I seem to remember that part which makes the Joel lie at the end more of a half-truth and thus easier for him to justify and say with conviction what he believed was the right choice.

Message 24 of 24 (64 Views)
0 Likes