Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Wastelander
Registered: 07/11/2012
Offline
594 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

Wrathful_Badger wrote:

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

I think the "there isnt really a cure" theory is just a theory some people started becsuse they think theres also other immune people and the Fireflies couldnt get a cure from them.

 

I dont really believe this theory because the evidence for this is just different understandings on past tense verbs and stuff like that, no hard evidence.

 

Also theres 3 recordings in the Hospital and none of them mention no cure. In fact, one blatantly states they can make a cure and the other 2 kinda dabble on the fact about a cure.


Honestly I continued to think there might be a cure even while I was going to rescue Ellie (since they resuscitated her just to keep her under and alive in order to harvest her brain) until I found the 2 recordings in the hospital that definitely hinted at the fact that they had already done this with other immune ppl with no success.  My first thought after that part was....this is exactly like the maze runner trilogy. (a good fast read if you are at all interested).. 


Except they don't hint at it. When the doctor refers to past cases he's talking about them operating on infected patients to see if they can find a cure that way. The proof of this is the xray of a Stalker/Clicker you find in the University. As the doctor says in one of the recordings, "Her infection is nothing like I've seen before" or something to that effect. 


Yes. Yes, this is exactly what they mean. Seems like some people misinterpret a few words and then suddenly everyone believes it

Message 11 of 24 (285 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 04/14/2013
Offline
671 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:

Wrathful_Badger wrote:

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

I think the "there isnt really a cure" theory is just a theory some people started becsuse they think theres also other immune people and the Fireflies couldnt get a cure from them.

 

I dont really believe this theory because the evidence for this is just different understandings on past tense verbs and stuff like that, no hard evidence.

 

Also theres 3 recordings in the Hospital and none of them mention no cure. In fact, one blatantly states they can make a cure and the other 2 kinda dabble on the fact about a cure.


Honestly I continued to think there might be a cure even while I was going to rescue Ellie (since they resuscitated her just to keep her under and alive in order to harvest her brain) until I found the 2 recordings in the hospital that definitely hinted at the fact that they had already done this with other immune ppl with no success.  My first thought after that part was....this is exactly like the maze runner trilogy. (a good fast read if you are at all interested).. 


Except they don't hint at it. When the doctor refers to past cases he's talking about them operating on infected patients to see if they can find a cure that way. The proof of this is the xray of a Stalker/Clicker you find in the University. As the doctor says in one of the recordings, "Her infection is nothing like I've seen before" or something to that effect. 


Yes. Yes, this is exactly what they mean. Seems like some people misinterpret a few words and then suddenly everyone believes it


Uh uh. They had other immune people that they tried to 'harvest' and make a vaccine, but it didn't work. It wouldn't work with an already infected for a few reasons, but primarily, they wouldn't be able to take one alive wihtout risking a number of people, both medical and survivors, and second, if they were to kill it the fungas would have died with it. It's all relative, and the fact that people think they've tested it on infected is ludacris. I doubt anasthesic works on the infected. They are stronger, for durable and never get tired. Second, they wouldn't know how to extract the fungas growth without someone becoming infected and mutating under a controlled environment.

If you don't belive me, and holy crap I'm getting tired of repeating myself, GO WATCH THE CUTSCENE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF EASTERN COLORADO WHERE THE DEAD FIREFLY IS SITTING IN THE OFFICE AND JOEL LISTENS TO THE RECORDER. IT'S WHEN HE FASTS FORWARDS THROUGH, AND YOU GET FRAGMENTS. Also get the recorder just before that cutscene and listen to it. It tells you that they tested on monkeys as well, and they were spreading the infection to find a cure.


Message 12 of 24 (270 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 07/11/2012
Offline
594 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

FUIVT0PLAY wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

Wrathful_Badger wrote:

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

I think the "there isnt really a cure" theory is just a theory some people started becsuse they think theres also other immune people and the Fireflies couldnt get a cure from them.

 

I dont really believe this theory because the evidence for this is just different understandings on past tense verbs and stuff like that, no hard evidence.

 

Also theres 3 recordings in the Hospital and none of them mention no cure. In fact, one blatantly states they can make a cure and the other 2 kinda dabble on the fact about a cure.


Honestly I continued to think there might be a cure even while I was going to rescue Ellie (since they resuscitated her just to keep her under and alive in order to harvest her brain) until I found the 2 recordings in the hospital that definitely hinted at the fact that they had already done this with other immune ppl with no success.  My first thought after that part was....this is exactly like the maze runner trilogy. (a good fast read if you are at all interested).. 


Except they don't hint at it. When the doctor refers to past cases he's talking about them operating on infected patients to see if they can find a cure that way. The proof of this is the xray of a Stalker/Clicker you find in the University. As the doctor says in one of the recordings, "Her infection is nothing like I've seen before" or something to that effect. 


Yes. Yes, this is exactly what they mean. Seems like some people misinterpret a few words and then suddenly everyone believes it


Uh uh. They had other immune people that they tried to 'harvest' and make a vaccine, but it didn't work. It wouldn't work with an already infected for a few reasons, but primarily, they wouldn't be able to take one alive wihtout risking a number of people, both medical and survivors, and second, if they were to kill it the fungas would have died with it. It's all relative, and the fact that people think they've tested it on infected is ludacris. I doubt anasthesic works on the infected. They are stronger, for durable and never get tired. Second, they wouldn't know how to extract the fungas growth without someone becoming infected and mutating under a controlled environment.

If you don't belive me, and holy crap I'm getting tired of repeating myself, GO WATCH THE CUTSCENE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF EASTERN COLORADO WHERE THE DEAD FIREFLY IS SITTING IN THE OFFICE AND JOEL LISTENS TO THE RECORDER. IT'S WHEN HE FASTS FORWARDS THROUGH, AND YOU GET FRAGMENTS. Also get the recorder just before that cutscene and listen to it. It tells you that they tested on monkeys as well, and they were spreading the infection to find a cure.


Dude, I know you believe this, but I just dont. Like I said pretty much everything he said on the fast fowarded recording are just interpretations. Nobody ever says "we had other immune but we could never get a cure" or something. I dont want to outright say you are wrong because thats just mean, but I just dont agree with that.

 

I believe Ellie was the only immune, but I can understand how everyone is making assumptions and stuff. But thats really the extent of it for me, theyre just assumptions and i dont really believe them.

 

Like I said, not saying youre wrong, I just dont believe it myself. I would make a counterarguement but I dont want to start anything and I doubt I'd be able to change your view on this, just as I doubt you could change mine.

Message 13 of 24 (262 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/14/2013
Offline
671 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:

FUIVT0PLAY wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

Wrathful_Badger wrote:

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

I think the "there isnt really a cure" theory is just a theory some people started becsuse they think theres also other immune people and the Fireflies couldnt get a cure from them.

 

I dont really believe this theory because the evidence for this is just different understandings on past tense verbs and stuff like that, no hard evidence.

 

Also theres 3 recordings in the Hospital and none of them mention no cure. In fact, one blatantly states they can make a cure and the other 2 kinda dabble on the fact about a cure.


Honestly I continued to think there might be a cure even while I was going to rescue Ellie (since they resuscitated her just to keep her under and alive in order to harvest her brain) until I found the 2 recordings in the hospital that definitely hinted at the fact that they had already done this with other immune ppl with no success.  My first thought after that part was....this is exactly like the maze runner trilogy. (a good fast read if you are at all interested).. 


Except they don't hint at it. When the doctor refers to past cases he's talking about them operating on infected patients to see if they can find a cure that way. The proof of this is the xray of a Stalker/Clicker you find in the University. As the doctor says in one of the recordings, "Her infection is nothing like I've seen before" or something to that effect. 


Yes. Yes, this is exactly what they mean. Seems like some people misinterpret a few words and then suddenly everyone believes it


Uh uh. They had other immune people that they tried to 'harvest' and make a vaccine, but it didn't work. It wouldn't work with an already infected for a few reasons, but primarily, they wouldn't be able to take one alive wihtout risking a number of people, both medical and survivors, and second, if they were to kill it the fungas would have died with it. It's all relative, and the fact that people think they've tested it on infected is ludacris. I doubt anasthesic works on the infected. They are stronger, for durable and never get tired. Second, they wouldn't know how to extract the fungas growth without someone becoming infected and mutating under a controlled environment.

If you don't belive me, and holy crap I'm getting tired of repeating myself, GO WATCH THE CUTSCENE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF EASTERN COLORADO WHERE THE DEAD FIREFLY IS SITTING IN THE OFFICE AND JOEL LISTENS TO THE RECORDER. IT'S WHEN HE FASTS FORWARDS THROUGH, AND YOU GET FRAGMENTS. Also get the recorder just before that cutscene and listen to it. It tells you that they tested on monkeys as well, and they were spreading the infection to find a cure.


Dude, I know you believe this, but I just dont. Like I said pretty much everything he said on the fast fowarded recording are just interpretations. Nobody ever says "we had other immune but we could never get a cure" or something. I dont want to outright say you are wrong because thats just mean, but I just dont agree with that.

 

I believe Ellie was the only immune, but I can understand how everyone is making assumptions and stuff. But thats really the extent of it for me, theyre just assumptions and i dont really believe them.

 

Like I said, not saying youre wrong, I just dont believe it myself. I would make a counterarguement but I dont want to start anything and I doubt I'd be able to change your view on this, just as I doubt you could change mine.


True, true. At least we can discuss it. And like another poster said, each interperets their own view.


Message 14 of 24 (253 Views)
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 03/23/2011
Offline
1407 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

FUIVT0PLAY wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

FUIVT0PLAY wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

Wrathful_Badger wrote:

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

I think the "there isnt really a cure" theory is just a theory some people started becsuse they think theres also other immune people and the Fireflies couldnt get a cure from them.

 

I dont really believe this theory because the evidence for this is just different understandings on past tense verbs and stuff like that, no hard evidence.

 

Also theres 3 recordings in the Hospital and none of them mention no cure. In fact, one blatantly states they can make a cure and the other 2 kinda dabble on the fact about a cure.


Honestly I continued to think there might be a cure even while I was going to rescue Ellie (since they resuscitated her just to keep her under and alive in order to harvest her brain) until I found the 2 recordings in the hospital that definitely hinted at the fact that they had already done this with other immune ppl with no success.  My first thought after that part was....this is exactly like the maze runner trilogy. (a good fast read if you are at all interested).. 


Except they don't hint at it. When the doctor refers to past cases he's talking about them operating on infected patients to see if they can find a cure that way. The proof of this is the xray of a Stalker/Clicker you find in the University. As the doctor says in one of the recordings, "Her infection is nothing like I've seen before" or something to that effect. 


Yes. Yes, this is exactly what they mean. Seems like some people misinterpret a few words and then suddenly everyone believes it


Uh uh. They had other immune people that they tried to 'harvest' and make a vaccine, but it didn't work. It wouldn't work with an already infected for a few reasons, but primarily, they wouldn't be able to take one alive wihtout risking a number of people, both medical and survivors, and second, if they were to kill it the fungas would have died with it. It's all relative, and the fact that people think they've tested it on infected is ludacris. I doubt anasthesic works on the infected. They are stronger, for durable and never get tired. Second, they wouldn't know how to extract the fungas growth without someone becoming infected and mutating under a controlled environment.

If you don't belive me, and holy crap I'm getting tired of repeating myself, GO WATCH THE CUTSCENE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF EASTERN COLORADO WHERE THE DEAD FIREFLY IS SITTING IN THE OFFICE AND JOEL LISTENS TO THE RECORDER. IT'S WHEN HE FASTS FORWARDS THROUGH, AND YOU GET FRAGMENTS. Also get the recorder just before that cutscene and listen to it. It tells you that they tested on monkeys as well, and they were spreading the infection to find a cure.


Dude, I know you believe this, but I just dont. Like I said pretty much everything he said on the fast fowarded recording are just interpretations. Nobody ever says "we had other immune but we could never get a cure" or something. I dont want to outright say you are wrong because thats just mean, but I just dont agree with that.

 

I believe Ellie was the only immune, but I can understand how everyone is making assumptions and stuff. But thats really the extent of it for me, theyre just assumptions and i dont really believe them.

 

Like I said, not saying youre wrong, I just dont believe it myself. I would make a counterarguement but I dont want to start anything and I doubt I'd be able to change your view on this, just as I doubt you could change mine.


True, true. At least we can discuss it. And like another poster said, each interperets their own view.


This discussion and the issue involved reminds me of the movie Doubt.  Its an interesting movie about a catholic priest that hints at him possible molesting children.  But in the end there is about 50/50 evidence for both sides (whether he did it or not) and it is left up to the viewer to decide what they think the priest actually did.  Its a very interesting movie because I know in watching it about half of the ppl I talked to thought he did it and the other half thought he didnt.  I think this story has that same aspect to it.  The moment I heard the recording at the hospital I knew that there were other immune ppl that they tried this same procedure on and failed.  Others dont think that and argue that is not said explicitly.....and by implying it your relying on the viewers interpretations of what is said in shaping their thoughts on the subject.  The very fact that this argument can even exist in a video game in and of itself is amazing.  Some can hear this and "know" that she was the only hope and they had to kill her to get it.  While others will hear it and "know" that there were other immune and she was not the only one.  Meanwhile ppl on both sides can argue certain precursor things as well.  Such as you can argue for saving her based on what she said about what she is wanting to do with Joel after they develop a cure from her.  But the other side can note that she was extremely depressed because she knew she was going to die and was making a pretense on the future in an effort to create some false cheer.  To which the other side can argue that was after an attempted rape where she butchered her would be rapist so badly that they didnt even show it on the screen it was so grisly. 

 

This circle can just go on and on with the reasoning and the storyline that brought the characters to this point.  So in the end it comes down to what your personal beliefs are and how you view the world.  Do you agree with the Vulcans that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of a few? 

Message 15 of 24 (233 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/10/2010
Offline
194 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013
I think we need to ask one of the nd developers on twitter or something to find out what it actually means
Message 16 of 24 (207 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 03/23/2011
Offline
1407 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013
If ND is even relatively intelligent they wont tell you. They will leave the game to stand on its own and let people interpret it as they may.
Message 17 of 24 (202 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/14/2013
Offline
671 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

Ask Neil then. He wrote the game, so he should know, you know.


Message 18 of 24 (202 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 06/20/2013
Offline
343 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

The recording with the dead Firefly in the University does not mention a cure at all. Basically says that he doesn't have long left. Has time to reflect and that the whole thing was a '**bleep** waste of time'. he then goes on to say where the Fireflies are now.

Message 19 of 24 (182 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 06/20/2013
Offline
343 posts
 

Re: (SPOILER) question about the ending level

Jun 22, 2013

recording is at 23mins 50 seconds of this video *spoilers obviously*

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiAHqLy9wA4

Message 20 of 24 (180 Views)
Reply
0 Likes