Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Re: ***SPOILERS *** STOP SAYING THAT ELLIE WOULD HAVE ...

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2013

Ok, guys i know it's long but i'm not pointing out anything stupid and i'd like you to tell me what you think about what i think! Oh and relax, we are all just expressing opinions! I'll tell you what i think about it.

The word sacrifice doesn’t fit here. It doesn't fit with Ellie. It only fits with Joel because he knows the complete truth. Ellie doesn't. She can just guess, and she knows that Joel is lying about something. She knows that the Fireflies were gonna do something to her because she sees the surgery clothes, because they left in a hurry, because there is something in Joels tone that isn't right. But she doesn't know exactly what. She wants to live definitely, we can see that through the Spring chapter, making plans for the future, but she also wants to end this thing and go to the hospital. When Joel asks her "we don't have to do this, you know that right?" she thinks about it and then says in a tone "lets just end this and then we can leave and go wherever you want to". She keeps on going because she has survivors guilt, seeing so many people close to her die while she is still alive, and also because "it can't be for nothing". She wants to end this, she wants to help find a cure and THEN she wants to go home. When Joel lies to her (before the final scene) she knows that Joel is lying about something. She knows that the Fireflies were gonna do something to her because she sees the surgery clothes, because they left in a hurry, because there is something in Joels tone that isn't right. But she doesn't know exactly what. I said it before i'll say it again just to make it fit with the previous. So at the end while she walks through the forest she is thinking all of this.

At the final cutscene she mentions Riley, Tess, Sam because she feels guilt that she is alive from the bite and they are not. She wants to HELP. That's why she fights hard to get to the hospital (although she gets tired and just wants to end this like i mentioned), because she can actually help, her life has a meaning! She may or may not wanted to sacrifice, we can't know for sure, but she definitely wanted to help! Marlene said "that's what she would have wanted". Maybe, maybe not. She surely wanted to help though, about sacrificing we don't know.

Her life had a good purpose. If you read the comics Riley says to Ellie "do you ever think about the future?" and Ellie says "not much to think about really." So we can obviously see that she didn't have any plans, nor had any purpose or anything. Riley kept on by saying "that's what they want us to think..." and etc. In the game though we see Ellie fighting for her life's purpose. She found one to live for which is pretty powerful since she can actually help others. Also since we know that Riley dies, Ellie probably feels kind of "obligated" to her. We can understand that in the end-that's why she mentions her-she remembers her. We can see that in our everyday life actually. Someone we know dies or gets sick, and we all say "i wish i did that with them, or said that to them". Ellie wishes to take back what was taken away from her friend. Riley was a firefly (check her pendant in Ellie's backpack). Fireflies fought for finding a cure. That's what Riley was probably fighting for too or wanted to fight for. Once Ellie saw that she is immune and her best friend dies because she isn’t, plus the fact that she fought for the fireflies cause which is about finding a cure, Ellie immediately feels like she can help her cause. Do something for her friend who died. That's why she struggles to talk about Riley in the end. That's why she mentions it in all the climax of the ending and not before. Because that's what she had in mind through all of her journey but in the end her "cause" slipped away.Throughout their journey we can she her fighting for that but coming closer to the end after all she has been through she feels less for humanity, more tired and she wants to just end this. She wants to live and at the same time help. So that's why Joel lies to her. Because he believes that telling Ellie the truth might be a risk. Also because by lying to her means she doesn’t need to feel responsible anymore, her survivors guilt might be entirely gone and he can take all the burden.

Ellie says “okay” not because she believes Joel (she has a bullsh*t detector), but because she trusts him. Because she found one person that didn’t leave her, and one person that she cares about and vice versa. Because she found an excuse in Joels lie to live for. Because in her mothers letter, her mother urges her to live. “Life is worth living for”, that’s what she tells her. Ellie wants to live. But I’ll keep saying, despite that, we see her being sad and a bit quiet towards the end cause she still wants to help but chooses to say okay and accept the situation.

My website: http://rlclick.weebly.com/
The Last of Us photo tumblr_mo3m8cncvK1qhjcgto1_250.gifEllie-Ranch photo tumblr_mp0o9g0nIR1qkm8keo5_250.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 51 of 117 (277 Views)
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Jun 29, 2013

So what i'm saying is:

tumblr_inline_mm163uHay91qz4rgp.gif

My website: http://rlclick.weebly.com/
The Last of Us photo tumblr_mo3m8cncvK1qhjcgto1_250.gifEllie-Ranch photo tumblr_mp0o9g0nIR1qkm8keo5_250.gif
Please use plain text.
Message 52 of 117 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
32 posts

Jun 29, 2013

Guys come on if you are gonna post at this topic read the previous posts. You are either saying what has been said by atleast 2 3 people one page before you, or you are saying something that everyone on this topic has disagreed upon and with sources and examples. AT THE VERY LEAST read the link i put on the 2nd post. @HPVale read the link . how can you say ellie trusts Joel's lie, the whole frickin discussion in this topic is based upon the fact that she sees through his bs. The WRITER says in the link that ELLIE SEES THROUGH THE BS, even if you choose to ignore  at least 10 guys in this post that gave tons of reason why Ellie knows Joel is lying then at least read what the WRITER OF THE GAME IS SAYING. dont be this obnoxious.

Please use plain text.
Message 53 of 117 (267 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Jun 29, 2013

EndureNSurvive wrote:

Guys come on if you are gonna post at this topic read the previous posts. You are either saying what has been said by atleast 2 3 people one page before you, or you are saying something that everyone on this topic has disagreed upon and with sources and examples. AT THE VERY LEAST read the link i put on the 2nd post. @HPVale read the link . how can you say ellie trusts Joel's lie, the whole frickin discussion in this topic is based upon the fact that she sees through his bs. The WRITER says in the link that ELLIE SEES THROUGH THE BS, even if you choose to ignore  at least 10 guys in this post that gave tons of reason why Ellie knows Joel is lying then at least read what the WRITER OF THE GAME IS SAYING. dont be this obnoxious.

Of course she sees through it, but she also accepts it. That's what Ashley Johnsone herself said I believe.

Please use plain text.
Message 54 of 117 (254 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
32 posts

Jun 29, 2013
and thats what me and many others said in this thread. We are saying the same thing dude thats the point.
Please use plain text.
Message 55 of 117 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Jun 29, 2013

EndureNSurvive wrote:
and thats what me and many others said in this thread. We are saying the same thing dude thats the point.

No, some people are sure she would have sacrificed herself and some say she would have never done it.

Please use plain text.
Message 56 of 117 (235 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Jun 29, 2013
read again brother, you will see what was aggreed upon
Please use plain text.
Message 57 of 117 (223 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
592 posts

Jun 29, 2013
Meanwhile, at Naughty Dog...

Are they debating on the ending in the forums still?
Yeah..
Exactly as planned..
Please use plain text.
Message 58 of 117 (218 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1510 posts

Jun 29, 2013
Ellie wouldn't have sacrificed herself. She kept talking about doing things with Joel after she was done, like teaching her how to swim, and play guitar. Ellie had no way of knowing she would die, and had she of known, she wouldn't have started the journey in the first place.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Please use plain text.
Message 59 of 117 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Re: STOP SAYING THAT ELLIE WOULD HAVE ...

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2013

I think when Ellie said "Okay," at the end, I kind of took it as her accepting that Joel cares deeply for her, rather than taking his lie as truth.

I also wouldn't say Joel is a 'sociopath' lol. A sociopath wouldn't care about a kid or Tess for that matter.

Please use plain text.
Message 60 of 117 (206 Views)
0 Likes