Highlighted
Jun 16 2013
By: FiftyFourForty Splicer 55 posts

*Saw It Coming Moment* [Spoiler]

17 replies 398 views Edited Jun 16, 2013

SPOILER ALERT*

Well when I made it to Wyoming and there were no Fireflies and then I went all the way to Colorado and still no Fireflies, I sighed and said to myself, "Salt Lake City? Hell, we're going to get there, and it's going to turn out to be some nightmare... They're gonna to want to cut Ellie up and kill her to make their cure, and then I'm gonna have to wade through their little fanatic army to save her."

Well I sure called that one and I'm about to get back into the other room and resume the fight [in the Fireflies hospital] but other than that, I have no idea what is going to come after I rescue her.

So what about you, did you have a "saw it coming" moment?

On another note, this game is spectacularly amazing.

Fifty-four Forty or Fight!!!!!
Message 1 of 18 (398 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Re: *Saw It Coming Moment* [Spoiler]

[ Edited ]
Jun 16, 2013

My brother already called something extremely similar to the ending long before The Last of Us was even close to being finished. I didn't want to believe him, seeing as how he;s right about 90% of these things lol, but hey, the man has a gift.

But to answer your question, no, I did not see the ending coming, I was crying during the ending, so that should tell you the level of such an emotional roller coaster Naughty Dog -especially Neil Druckman- puts me on, Smiley Very Happy

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 2 of 18 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
88 posts

Jun 16, 2013
My "saw it moment" was when Joel was carrying his daughter to safety. I then thought the last mission would be similar Joel carrying Ellie to safety (which I was right) instead Joel actually saves Ellie.
Message 3 of 18 (386 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
45 posts

Jun 16, 2013

Well, I kinda saw the ending. But not really where or exactly how.

The only real "I saw it coming" moment I had was at a point where you had to help Ellie over a fence.

I was so bored waiting for her to get over and open the door, that my mind started wandering, and I started thinking of how this scene just called for an infected to pop out of nowhere, and 2 seconds later a clicker popped out of nowhere.

Took me a second to wake up and realize it actually happened and wasn't just my idea still going inside my head, lol.

Message 4 of 18 (375 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Jun 16, 2013

I actually stood up and gave some applause to the ending/game.

I've also watched the credits, the first time in years I can recall watching credits.

*SPOILERS*

I must have had the "excellent ending" or the best possible ending.

Joel and Ellie made it back to just outside of the Jackson City in Wyoming and she told him about how her best friend died during the time in Boston when she herself was initially bit by the infected.

She then insisted Joel swear to her that everything he told her about the Fireflies was true, and he said, "I swear."

He had told her, on the way out of Salt Lake City, "they have dozens of people who are immune and none if it ever worked out for them, sorry it didn't work out, we're going home."

This was after he killed Marlene and dozens of Fireflies. Marlene, gut shot and on the ground, begged "please spare me, let me go" and Joel simply and succinctly replied, "no, you'd just come after her" and then administered the coup de grace with a single pistol shot to the head.

He told Ellie what she needed to hear to enable her to settle down in a safe and viable town and move on in life. It was of course a colossal lie but in a way it had to be done, or else she might have wanted to sacrifice herself for the Fireflies and their cure development program.

I was very thrilled with the ending and the game in general.

I might have to rank this as the best video game of my life. This game doesn't just meet the bar, it unquestionably raises the bar. The Last of Us is the game that other developers wish their games could mirror. But a storyline like this, a true post-apocalypse immersion, is not something that can be achieved with a simple formula of "1+1+A+B+ plot twist + action scene = epic game."

Naughty Dog's achievement with this game is epic and this game will be talked about and held up as a standard in 2025 or even 2030.

Message 5 of 18 (354 Views)
Splicer
55 posts

Jun 16, 2013
I also had another "saw it coming" moment with Henry and Sam.

When Ellie went to talk with Sam and he was visibly withdrawn, distant, and clearly bothered, I suspected he had been bitten or scratched during the encounter in the previous abandoned town [sniper area/hunters armored vehicle gets wrecked]. My suspicions were cemented when he dropped the robot toy without hesitation the moment Ellie left the room.

However, I did not expect Henry to take his own life after Sam turned and was killed.
Message 6 of 18 (342 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jun 16, 2013

SPOILER ALERT*

I simply loved the game, the only thing that bothers me, is that it would have been great if, when you reached the operation room to save ellie. you could simple leave the room and leave ellie there for the operation, or you can save her. I think in that way the player is taking the decision of saving the world or be selfish and save ellie to have a happy life. I think that would really be a hard descicion but would have made the game more meaningful. but dont get me wrong is one of the best game i have ever played

Message 7 of 18 (332 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Jun 16, 2013

DarKKileR_MX wrote:

SPOILER ALERT*

I simply loved the game, the only thing that bothers me, is that it would have been great if, when you reached the operation room to save ellie. you could simple leave the room and leave ellie there for the operation, or you can save her. I think in that way the player is taking the decision of saving the world or be selfish and save ellie to have a happy life. I think that would really be a hard descicion but would have made the game more meaningful. but dont get me wrong is one of the best game i have ever played

That would have been great, but all that work, just to leave her there? Haha, I'm just teasing, but you get my point, right? Smiley Tongue

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 8 of 18 (323 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jun 16, 2013

-spoilers-

I remember when we were discussing why Ellie was so important, and I was like, I bet she's immune.

CALLED IT

Message 9 of 18 (318 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
55 posts

Jun 16, 2013

I don't think Joel was even thinking about the world. The world is a mess, raiders, hunters, cannibals, totalitarian police/soldiers, people who call themselves "the army" despite the fact that there is no longer any USA let alone a United States Army, just ex-soldiers or perhaps the adult children of soldiers who were trained to take on the role of soldiers.

Besides, a vaccine wouldn't stop people from being torn to shreds, it wouldn't rebuild the ruined cities, stop the cannibalism, stabilize the food supply. A vaccine probably wouldn't even be distributed except on a local basis and it might serve as the basis for the Fireflies to become a hegemonic power or a world power by controlling the vaccine.

I think the developers were right to lock you into rescuing Ellie because for Joel there was no debate, he didn't have a choice. He had to save Ellie, his surrogate/quasi daughter, he had failed to save his biological/actual daughter twenty years earlier and there was no way he was going to fail Ellie now.

The latitude granted by the developers to the gamer was sufficient in regards to being able to use stealth to avoid, stealth to neutralize, or openly fighting enemies to neutralize the. I found myself mostly using stealth to neutralize along with openly fighting when conditions were more favorable due to having reduced the enemy forces in the area by 50-60% through stealth kills.

Message 10 of 18 (314 Views)