Jul 07 2013
By: EG_NeoMorph Splicer 40 posts

Scripted Combat Events - Backseat Driver?

14 replies 461 views Edited Jul 7, 2013

I was trying to stealth through this one part and grabbed an enemy with his back to a doorway. I grabbed him around the neck and dragged him back into the room so his friends in the corridor wouldn't see me. So why the FRACK do Joel push him to the floor THROUGH THE DOORWAY, then walk out into full view of the enemy and then stomp the guy on the floor - totally under scripted control... If I press to strangle an enemy I EXPECT THE GAME TO STRANGLE THE BLOODY ENEMY.

Oh and there should be a way to abort such an action. Too many times have I been stuck in the middle of an animation and the enemy have swarmed me while Joel is busy slowly strangling some git. Scripted combat events suck worse than QuickTime Events (and I ruddy HATE those which is why I hate games like Farheneit and Heavy Rain). It makes me feel that I am out of control of the character.

Scripted Combat Events just instances that ruin stealth, put your character at risk (because the event is almost always loud) and gets your character killed because of it.

Take for instace when I went to hit a runner with my one hit kill crowbar/scissors because he was placed out where I couldn't get behind him.. The game thinks "Naaaaah" and next second Joel is grabbing the runner's head and smashing it into some shelves which then cause a load of noise and then it is clicker central. DRIVES ME NUTS.

You should be able to choose the combat, not have the game to randomly do something different.

Message 1 of 15 (461 Views)
Wastelander
769 posts

Re: Scripted Combat Events - Backseat Driver?

Jul 7, 2013

shut up meg

sig.png

Message 2 of 15 (444 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jul 7, 2013

All I got out of this is that you're not very good at stealth. I am a hardcore stealth player and never had any of these problems.

When all have fallen, rise above the ashes.
Message 3 of 15 (427 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
1976 posts

Jul 7, 2013
the game resorts to that when yo u have broken stealth and ND was smart instead of trapping you in a stealth animation, jole opts for a quick kill . In other words you got caught before you realized you did
Message 4 of 15 (412 Views)
Wastelander
671 posts

Jul 7, 2013

frogmanlego wrote:
the game resorts to that when yo u have broken stealth and ND was smart instead of trapping you in a stealth animation, jole opts for a quick kill . In other words you got caught before you realized you did

Yep. Listen for the "whoooooooooosh" sound when your in stealth. If it gets really loud, you've been spotted.

Message 5 of 15 (378 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jul 8, 2013
I only had this problem once. Going through "the tunnel of death" I killed what was technically the last infected in the room so Joel decideds to kick his face in. However that alerted one if the runners in the room right next to us so I had to shoot him. If Joel had just strangled the first runner I wouldn't of had that problem and I could of lived happily ever after but no I had to waste a bullet.

Besides that I never had a problem with Joel breaking stealth without me telling him to.
Message 6 of 15 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 8, 2013

No, you aren't getting what I am saying. This isn't about poor steath. It's about the scripted combat event that does strange things randomly. Here is another incident that will make it clearer.

I am pulling the guy back into the room, nobody has seen me (other than the guy I have my arm around his neck). No whooshing sound. No alert. I am pulling him back to make sure I cannot be seen. Perfect. Time to strangle. I then I hit the square button to strangle him.

Now normally he will just pull tighter and then lower him to the floor which is what I expected. Instead Joel pushed the guy hard and he goes back through the door into the open and falls on the floor. I hear another guy go "Whoa" (which shows that the didn't know I had him) and then Joel casually strides out into the corridor and stomps the guy's head while ignoring all the bullets that are now coming his way.

Now once that scripted attack starts YOU ARE STUFFED because you cannot abort it (or if there is an abort I cannot find it). I really wanted to stop Joel going out into the open but the script had to complete before  I got control back again... but by that time Joel is dead.

The random kill events happen when you hit the square button I have found. Sometimes you use the environment (like smashing the enemy's head into some shelves) while other times you throw the enemy to the floor and stomp on them. Yet the square button is supposed to be STRANGLE.

If I press the button to strangle I don't want to make a noisy stomp and I sure as hell don't want to stroll into the open in front of a bunch of enemies with high powered rifles. Strangle button should just strangle. There should have been another button instead of using the melee button.

I think the code gets mixed up at times is all. It doesn't happen all the time but it does kick in when you are out of sight of all but the one who you have dragged into the room. It seems to happen after you have done the drag. If you strangle right away it doesn't seem to occur so I've stopped dragging and it doesn't happen to me now. I think it's a glitch with pressing square after the drag.

Message 7 of 15 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 8, 2013

It's not that bad. just gotta time it right.

Message 8 of 15 (262 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Jul 8, 2013
I have a guess that if it's the last guy or he was alerted to you just before you grabbed him, Joel gives him a head stomp. If you stealth him, it's a silent take down as you would expect.
Message 9 of 15 (248 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Jul 8, 2013
Square button? I'm sure it's triangle to strangle them... Could be wrong as I have had the same problems but with Clickers and runners.
Message 10 of 15 (234 Views)
0 Likes