Sackboy
421 posts

Re: Selling Point for You (Why Did You Buy the Game?)

[ Edited ]
Jun 28, 2013

Naughty Dog. I'm not usually interested into this kind of games, but it being made by Naughty Dog was enough for me and I happy it was because it's like the best game I've ever played.

"This kind of games" goes for the zombies, or in this game, the infected.

Message 11 of 50 (382 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Eric and Arne drove a big **bleep** tank right into the middle of my living room while I was playing Red Dead Redemption. Neil and Bruce then popped out of the tank...

I'd reveal more of what happened and just how the four convinced me to pre-order, but the following court case bound us all to NDAs.

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 12 of 50 (324 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Jun 28, 2013
Naughty Dog was one reason I chose to purchase this, but also a good friend of mine managed to convince me.

The 10/10 reviews from almost every person actually made me intrigued to see how good it was, and I've been nit picking, looking for something about the game I don't like.

So far I've come up with two things.
1. Swimming lol
2. MP - how players can get ridiculous scores from doing nothing but crafting and running away, even if the round is lost :/
--------------------------------------------------
"Can you stand on your head?"

photo SparklyKitten3.jpg
Message 13 of 50 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
354 posts

Jun 28, 2013

The selling point for me was the original E3 demo.  More specifically the human enemy AI. 

Youtube channel: harrisj1616
Twitch: harrisj16
Message 14 of 50 (250 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 28, 2013

sold

Message 15 of 50 (245 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
58 posts

Jun 28, 2013

Bought it for the single player.

Stayed for the Multiplayer. 

Message 16 of 50 (230 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jun 28, 2013

SP game actually. Not so many SP games with a campaign over 4 hours these days...

Message 17 of 50 (222 Views)
Fender Bender
3979 posts

Jun 28, 2013
A number of things actually. Naughty Dog was one. I had, of course, already heard a lot about this game, and it seemed like the kind of horror game I'm into. I also played it at E3, which further confirmed that the game had plenty of puzzles, and memorable characters. I played through the scene where Joel and Ellie first meet Bill, and laughed at Ellie's comments about him. Even though I hadn't played much of the game before that, and hadn't been properly introduced to the characters, I decided right then and there that I was quite fond of Ellie.

But, my rule with mainstream games is that I wait till way down the road, when they go down in price, with few exceptions. What sold me on the game almost right away was just how much people have been talking about it. People have been claiming that it has changed their outlook on videogames, or even life. At the very least, people have been claiming it's a must play for ps3 owners, and some have even called it the system's best exclusive ever. I just had to find out what was so special about TLoU, and I wanted to play it before the Internet spoiled it for me. I would share my thoughts on the game now that I've finished it,, but I feel like that's a discussion for another thread.
Message 18 of 50 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
150 posts

Jun 28, 2013

There are many reasons. I got four types of reasons. Some of them could be applied to any other game, but this game sort of "transformed" them. You'll understand. It's from the least important to most.

1. It's Naughty Dog. Now i'm not any fan girl and i usually  tend to respect and admire the work, and not the people who do it. BUT what is transformed in this game as opposed to others, is the fact that i played nearly every game of the company, liking and loving most of them, so i have grown to expect good things from ND, wait not good, but great, because i saw that with every new game they get better and challenge themselves.

2. It's a post-apocalyptic game and third person stealth, shooter etc. It could be any other game. BUT what is transformed in this game as opposed to others for the post-apocalyptic part:

the environments are beautiful, realistic, reflect the the loss, the end of humanity, the beauty of how things were and how they ended up, the sad feeling of something long gone. Combine it with the title "The Last of Us" and you just know this game is much deeper than just shooting and full pump action, you just know it's more "realistic" and literal.

As for the third person shooter, stelth, survival game etc, the thing transformed is the incredible enemy AI, which makes you feel like this could happen in reality, as if they have a brain and tactics and respond to everything you do in the game. Also it's not just running and gunning, you have to think your way through, you have limited supplies and just honestly, it's fun to punch, to shoot, to run away, to hide. You know why? Because it feels realistic, fu*king finally we have that in a game, meaning you get more immersed.

3. The fact that it is story and character driven. BUT what is transformed in this game as opposed to others is the fact that the say it is character driven and it really is character driven. No horrible voice acting, no unrealistic ideas and action, no gameplay that has a big contrast with the cutscenes. (the last one is obvious in Uncharted, where in the cutscenes you feel human and real, and the charactes are just grounded, flawed and, i'll say it again, human, but the gameplay has contrast cause suddently you are jumping from collapsed buildings, running and gunning everyone, killing so many without a scratch on you, surving things you may not survived in real life). Aside from that I'm all into deeper emotions, meanings, no cliches, refreshing ideas. The sort of things that challenge you as a person and make you think of yourself, the person you are, the world around you, that make you think about morals, love, death, pain. Usually i read books to get that feeling or watch movies. Nobody expects that from a video game because stupidly there's an idea that video games are supposed to be just games for fun and for fifteen year old boys to enjoy, or just not mature enough to be realistic. But things started changing with Heavy Rain, Bioshock, Uncharted and other games which don't pop into my head right now. The Last of Us proved that video games can actually be mature, realistic, satisfying, and have even a stronger impact on you than movies and books. Why? Because movies you just watch. With video games you control what you watch. Because with books there is no sad music, not voices, no visual, with video games there's everything! Because with video games you have the ability to have extra background story with side quests, or in the case of TLOU conversations, artifacts and exploration, you have the ability to explore the world you are in, and importantly you have a choice for more, or different. So TLOF proved that we can have a story and character driven experience so much easier than other entertainment source.

4. Ellie. Say whay you want, the moment i saw Ellie i knew that ALL the above reasons were gonna be true. BUT what is transformed in this game as opposed to others, well there might be nothing transormed cause i can't think of any other game that introduced such a character, but if it transforms something is the fact that she is a little girl, cool, too important for the plot of the game, brave, a mysterious kid that was actually born in this post-apocalyptic world, curious about the world before the infected, a kid that swears a LOT, and is beyond her age. A kid that, from everything we saw, was going to be the center of the game, and even maybe the most important character or even the protagonist, if everything evolves around her. We don't see that in games, and that gives a different feeling to the game and pushes our curiosity as to "why is there a kid protagonist which appers in front of the box cover of the disc and seems so important?" That thought makes it obvious that reason 1 - ND has something special for us yet again, reason 2 - this post-apocalyptic game is gonna play and feel different from others with a little girl mysteriously pushing the plot, reason 3 - you know there's gonna be something "human", character driven, emotional when there's a girl like Ellie in it. So Reason 4 hugs all the other reasons and transforms them, subconsiously into something that no other game has achieved yet.

Sorry for the long post but, i'm not lying when i say that i really though of all of this before buying the game. Watching videos, hearing the features of the game and searching thoroughly what it's about, subconsiously made me think of all of this. But the truth is i got more than i ever expected and i could not believe it how little all of the above seemed in comparison with how much the game stood to the expectations and a gave us lot more!

My website: http://rlclick.weebly.com/
The Last of Us photo tumblr_mo3m8cncvK1qhjcgto1_250.gifEllie-Ranch photo tumblr_mp0o9g0nIR1qkm8keo5_250.gif
Message 19 of 50 (220 Views)
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 28, 2013

You bought the game because you saw a teenage girl on the cover? Lol thats kinda weird OP.I got it because it looked like a great survival horror game. I was thinking it'd be like the old school RE or Silent Hill games. Turned out to be more in the action-horror genre but, still a great game.

Message 20 of 50 (210 Views)
0 Likes