Jul 06 2013
By: Soufdawg Lombax Warrior 137 posts

Semi open world.

13 replies 437 views Edited Jul 6, 2013

Now to start I know when certain people see this thread pop up they will most likely think

" **bleep** hell no, it will be like gta?!?!"

No, You have the option to leave this thread now im telling you if you are adament on not having any form of open world / bigger enviroment then leave now as the next paragraph will not change your mind.

Now to the point. Im talking Borderlands big like bigger levels. However an open world could possibly work also. Now before people think omfg GTA no, keep the story linear just promote more exploration. The game took  me 18 hours and believe me it was not because of the difficulty (despite playing on hard the game was a joke difficulty wise lets not lie) I took time with the game because I didnt want it to end. I think a bigger world promotes more options, a bigger sense of dangers lurking in every building and every cornor and ultimately a longer and more enjoyable game. Also with the sequel most likely being on ps4 I dont see how Naughty Dog cant deliver. Keep in mind Jak 2 and Jak 3 were open world (Jak and Daxter was partially open world more semi like what I am recommending) and were great games so Naughty Dog CAN do it.

Also keep in mind this isnt a thought specifically for the sequel it could be for any games in this (most likely) series / any spin offs. A post apocalyptic world where it isnt borderline silly (Fallout 3 / state of decay) with serious tones could be a marvel. Look at MGS5 how many people said that series could never be open world and now it is confirmed it is. Albiet it could suck but still it looks great so far.

Message 1 of 14 (437 Views)
Wastelander
769 posts

Re: Semi open world.

Jul 6, 2013

Not every game needs to be open world, there's a place for them and this isn't it.

About your comment on the game's difficulty being a joke, that's an opinion. I know a ton of people that had a hard time with it and you're ignorant to toss their opinions to the side and substitute your own and tell people "not to lie."

sig.png

Message 2 of 14 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jul 6, 2013
If they did this and pulled it off it would be okay, but I don't understand how ND would be able to manage to make the story as good as the first without their super linearity.

I mean if its even semi open world then ND can't do something like Winter. Or maybe they can, not sure how that could work though. Winter was pretty balls-epic though.
Message 3 of 14 (428 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1511 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

"The game took  me 18 hours and believe me it was not because of the difficulty (despite playing on hard the game was a joke difficulty wise lets not lie)"

-----

Oh man I hate people like you, not everyone and their mother plays on hard mode and thinks its easy, nor does everyone need a "Super Hardcore" mode to have "difficulity" to finish the campaign, what, you need to prove to everyone how "amazing" you are because YOU yes, YOU completed this game, on the hardest difficulity.. and it was still too easy!

Shame on people like you.

Message 4 of 14 (420 Views)
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 6, 2013

@ Luctiger I agree this thread is just a thought.

@thedouche Woah there buddy I think im amazing because I beat NPCS in an easily exploitable AI system (follow the bottle!) and happened to find it easy on hard? Now you hate me? Ok makes sense. Know what im going to Kudos your post because I am 'amazing'.

Edit on a real side note (I really did kudos you trolol) just because I found the game easy (believe me im not the only one, the AI is borderline a joke at times and even on hard I had an abundance of supplies, no comment or survivor yet, also LISTEN MODE). doesnt mean the games difficulty shouldnt be revamped (Again survivor might fix this but Ive heard thats easy also). Now you might have found the game hard which is why you have difficulties suited for you (easy and normal). However for the people not satisfied with those difficulties  when it says 'Hard' it should be friggan hard not a mild nuisance.

Its no surprise to be honest The uncharted games got easier as they went on Number 2 on crushing was mildly hard (the last boss is what sealed the 'crushing' difficulty he was HARD) whereas Number 3 only had a few parts that really annoyed me. However Uncharted 1 that **bleep** **bleep** me off.

Message 5 of 14 (410 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
137 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2013

READ THIS BEFORE YOU CONTINUE:

When I say semi open world THINK HALF LIFE 2 YAAAAY

@Psilocube

Just noticed your post. Im ignorant because I found the game easy as did many others. Whether it came accross as ignorant or not let me assure you it was unintentional (people really found this game hard? Really? Name 2 places that genuinly had you stuck for progress. Exactly. Hard is not being mildly distressed / annoyed, hard is literally needing a **bleep** guide / walkthrough to give you some advice and tips on what the EFFF to dooooo gigidy.). However I could easily counteract that statement by saying that when you said:

" Not every game needs open world (Who the **bleep** said every game needs that like?) and there is a time and a place and this isnt "

I could call that statement ignorant as the fact that you dont think this game would benefit from bigger more expansive levels (read my original post you .... you... read it anyway I said get larger levels, a SEMI open world and i SPECIFICALLY STATED TO STOP READING IF YOU DID NOT WANT AN OPEN WORLD...) and you are simply discrediting MY opinion saying it wouldnt work without seeing it at all. Your being too judgemental.

To be honest all I suggested are

1 Sequel (or possible spin offs / entries in this series) to encorporate larger levels as to increase game replayability / exploration. I am sick of tired of every buildings up stairs being blocked off the exact same way over and over again. I am sick of cars being conviently placed to block off areas of the map. Why is it when ever people hear open world they assume GTA / bridges / **bleep** planes etc. Borderlands is open world heck Fable 2 could even be considered open world.....

2. To revamp the difficulty in later games, if the difficulty says hard then MAKE IT **bleep** HARD.....

Dont believe me that Naughty Dogs games are getting easier? (to appeal to more casual gamers..) Compare the amount of times you were stuck on Uncharted 1 with Uncharted 2 and with Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3 and finally Uncharted 3 and Last of us (Im talking hardest difficulty)

To save any more rants enter this thread with an open mind dont imagine Joel pimping (a 18 year old to avoid you know what) Ellie, and rolling with clicker gangs throwing up gang signs. Not every game gets ruined with more expansive enviroments infact name 5 that have and I shall name 10 that have benefitted.

Message 6 of 14 (336 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jul 7, 2013

I was hoping it would be open-world as well. The levels were pretty linear, you only really had 1 way to go with a few extra spaces to search for supplies. 

That being said I liked the game alot. It was definitely the best SP game I've played for PS3. Naughtyy Dogg absolutely nailed the atmosphere of an apocalyptic world. Their well-designed story was also a plus to me. However when it came to game mechanics it was your basic stealth game or cover shooter, depending on your play style. I wish you had more control with melee as well. Joel sometimes uses the environment to help him but, you don't have a whole lot of input into how that unfolds. The AI is inconsistent as well and isn't as great as previous E3 demos made it out to be. It's not bad by any means but, it isn't particularly "great" either. 

Hopefully with next generation consoles they'll be able to improve some of these things. Old hardware most certainly played a role in the way Naughtyy Dogg went about developing this game. 

Message 7 of 14 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Jul 7, 2013
I agree with everything you say. Bigger areas = more fun. My favorite sections in the game were the ones where you could explore and go in houses like the block with the sniper and the lakeside resort where your ellie. If the game is open world or semi open world that would be great
Message 8 of 14 (281 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jul 7, 2013

I fully agree i also hope maybe they could do a free for all/free roam online with bigger levels and more players maybe even safe zones add uniqe loot and make it full blown Action RPG

Message 9 of 14 (264 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Jul 7, 2013
I agree that being able to explore more of the houses would be a nice touch and maybe add a few more routes through areas but beyond that and you lose a lot of the narrative. This game is designed to have a strong story where specific things happen at specific places and if you where able to just walk around that area you would lose some great moments in the game. I'm sure that there are games that have semi open or open worlds with great stories but that doesn't mean that this game has to do that. There is nothing wrong with a linear game as long as the parts you are forced through are interesting enough to enjoy. The Last of Us is definitely interesting.

As for difficulty it is not an easy game but its for sure not a Nintendo hard game. I'm halfway through the game on survivor after playing twice on normal and it isn't easy but after playing through it twice you get to know where all the enemies are so you can plan your attack in advance which makes it a little easier. It's still no where close to as easy as some other popular games that cater to the masses
Message 10 of 14 (259 Views)
0 Likes