Jun 24 2013
By: Baconis Splicer 43 posts

Single Player DLC

20 replies 856 views Edited Jun 24, 2013

well the story is pretty complete.  YES many of us want a Sequel with Joel and Ellie, and i must ask for a happy ending Smiley Tongue

however in the mean time!

i find the winter sequence was awesome (and touching) but alittle short.  And don't get me started on the spring sequence!  that was even shorter! 

Naughty Dog should create some extra chapters for the winter sequence (after the cannible town) and some more chapters for Spring!  (like, how did Joel and Ellie end up on the freeway?  or even a city approach prior to the freeway!  What was Joel doing that allowed Ellie to wonder off towards that deer sculpted into the wall?)

Flush out a little more content (gameplay, dialog and videos) before considering or starting a sequel!

"Some times i find myself wondering, is it all worth fighting for.... for a future without fear.... ya its worth it!" ~ Kris Redfield, Resident evil 5

"I don't need luck, i've got ammo!" ~Grunt, Mass Effect 3

"After everything we've been through.... After Everything i've done.... It can't all be for nothing." ~Ellie, The Last of Us

"...Hold onto your Morales and Die or do whatever it takes to survive..." ~ Ellie, The Last of Us TV spot
Message 1 of 21 (856 Views)
Sackboy
570 posts

Re: Single Player DLC

Jun 24, 2013

If they were to add anything to the main story it would need to be between pittsburgh and Wyoming, you litteraly go from Pittsburgh all the way to Wyoming with nothing in between.

Message 2 of 21 (844 Views)
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 24, 2013
Down
Loadable
Cut content.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 3 of 21 (810 Views)
First Son
15 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 24, 2013

I could not agree more with the original post. Playing as Ellie was a powerful component of this game and should be expanded on. Playing as a young teen really struck a chord with me, I felt like I was a kid again embarking on adventures that I used to fantasize.

I mean, who did not fantasize about being independent when they were 14? Saving the day and holding your own, watching over someone you care about...

Saying this, I think another critical component was missing from this game: bushcrafting. There should have been moments where Joel would teach Ellie how to do certain things, like fire starting without a lighter, cooking, looking for tinder, hunting and some random facts. There is plenty of interesting bushcraft tricks on youtube that would surprise and entertain people, the research is easy.

And I say this for the following reasons:

1. It is a survivor game, and fans who are drawn to this genre would appreciate this greatly. Throw in some common camping items like a WWII mess kit / canteen cup, swiss army knife, home-made alcohol stove (youtube it, there are kids who make these for camping),an old Nalgene looking bottle, canteen, etc. If you guys tap into this more, you will better solidify a cult fanbase, as people will relate to the characters better in the game.

2. It breaks up the monotony of player interaction being exclusively combat oriented. This game is better than just being “another shooter", other types of player interaction should be introduced. Besides, combat is appreciated better when there is some contrast in the game.

3. It allows for more character development. This would be an excellent way to have Joel and Ellie bond in their journey, as many parents do this with their own children.

4. It would be more realistic. Ellie's background as a city kid isolated from wild America would not allow for her to get by doing what she did in some scenes. Just saying “she is strong” or “reads a lot” only carries her skills and traits so far, there has to be moments where joel taught her at least something.

Also the item content felt a bit stale, it would not hurt to throw in some common weapons that share the same stats as what is already in the game. It just needs some more variety.

Suggestions:

More bolt actions rifles, including some old military surplus rifles. Mosin Nagants, Mausers, & Lee-Enfields are very common rifles, and would likely exist in this world as they are very durable with plentiful ammo.

Lever action hunting rifles are also very common in middle america, if not more so.

This could be said for multiplayer as well. It looks kinda silly seeing a dozen people with just 3 types of guns. Throw in a semiauto-AK variant or a surplus M1 carbine with matching stats for the semi-auto rifle.

There should also be more handguns, or at the very least some variations of what is in the game just by modifying the textures.

Basically add more visual content modeled after the most commonly owned firearms in the US, (this can be done by searching on Gunbroker, an "ebay" for guns)do not worry about them appearing “boring”. It will work really well, especially amongst “survival nuts” take advantage of this large venue of people that would find all this appealing.

Trust me, a scene with Joel having a Marlin 336 slung over his shoulder teaching Ellie how to start a fire using char-cloth and boiling water with a WWII canteen cup will touch a lot of people and add striking realism. Simple little details can make a huge impact. the closer you get to people with this game, the closer people will feel towards this game and they will demand more.

Message 4 of 21 (768 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jun 24, 2013

Also some sugestions of guns for Ellie:

H&R Handi-Rifle

Ruger 10/22

CZ 527

Marlin Model 1894

the weaker guns would mean that the player would have to use more skill. Basically a difficulty modifier if you will.

Playing as Ellie and hunting with Joel would be amazing, as well as vice versa, teaching ellie how to hunt and maintain her weapons

Message 5 of 21 (728 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Jun 25, 2013

well they also will have to be careful if adding more player attachments to these characters.  i guarantee if people grow too attached to them they will get **bleep** off if Ellie and or Joel die!  at the very least ellie must live! (in sequels i mean)

"Some times i find myself wondering, is it all worth fighting for.... for a future without fear.... ya its worth it!" ~ Kris Redfield, Resident evil 5

"I don't need luck, i've got ammo!" ~Grunt, Mass Effect 3

"After everything we've been through.... After Everything i've done.... It can't all be for nothing." ~Ellie, The Last of Us

"...Hold onto your Morales and Die or do whatever it takes to survive..." ~ Ellie, The Last of Us TV spot
Message 6 of 21 (620 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Jun 25, 2013

After playing the game it feels like the later parts were kind of rushed. Summer (my favorite part) was the longest but, all chapters afterwards got progressively smaller. At one point, you literally go from Wyoming to Colorado with no mention of wth happened inbetween. 

I feel the SP was cut to make room for dlc. It seems more then plausible. In all fairness though the game was a good length so I don't feel cheated or anything but, it does kind of suck how huge parts are just skipped along.

Message 7 of 21 (590 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
428 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

As long as the DLC file is not 100kb am happy.

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 8 of 21 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
166 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Fateless2010 wrote:

Also some sugestions of guns for Ellie:

H&R Handi-Rifle

Ruger 10/22

CZ 527

Marlin Model 1894

the weaker guns would mean that the player would have to use more skill. Basically a difficulty modifier if you will.

Playing as Ellie and hunting with Joel would be amazing, as well as vice versa, teaching ellie how to hunt and maintain her weapons

I think they were trying to have a "beggars can't be choosers" vibe with the guns. The way Joel strored his gun in preceding everything leads me to believe he isn't an expert with firearms and probably doesn't give a lot of consideration to what he carries. On that note though, there would be a lot of rugers lying around and a .22 will collapse a lung if you plug someone in the chest with it. There's probably a few folks that would scoff at a rimfire rifle being featured in a video game like this but it would certainly be effective enough. I still think the developers probably didn't want to call too much attention to the weapons themselves. Your angle could be a good direction still. A lot is up in the air. I'm probably gonna be all over it no matter what it is.

I wonder if they're actively making new DLC from the ground up or trying to put finishing touches on content that didn't make the final cut.

Message 9 of 21 (549 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

cdub420-- wrote:

After playing the game it feels like the later parts were kind of rushed. Summer (my favorite part) was the longest but, all chapters afterwards got progressively smaller. At one point, you literally go from Wyoming to Colorado with no mention of wth happened inbetween. 

I feel the SP was cut to make room for dlc. It seems more then plausible. In all fairness though the game was a good length so I don't feel cheated or anything but, it does kind of suck how huge parts are just skipped along.

As much as I abhore the practice of cutting content to resell as DLC, I would LOVE if said chapters (and Summer does seem so much richer/complete than the other seasons, especially Fall) were released as DLC if there were cut for time. I'd hate to think those partsd were designed but we'll never get to play those "gaps" because of the game's release window.

Frankly, given an 'either or" choice, I'd rather see cut content restored than brand new DLC, but that's just me.

(and yes, I'd love more levels at the start of Winter, playing as Ellie and learning to hunt for food and avoiding Infected while finding a safe place to hole up with Joel).

Message 10 of 21 (487 Views)