Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Re: Spoiler alert: Ellie's immunity...

Jul 10, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
This is what I gathered, not sure I'm 100% right:
Ellie is infected with the cordyceps in her, but the actual fungal growth has mutated somehow due to unknown reasons, causing her immunity.

So unless every other person she infects gets their codyceps mutated too, they won't be immune.

It might actually just be an extremely rare phenomenon. The fungus mutating could've been caused by the infected that bit her. How they were infected(inhaling spores or bit themselves), their blood type, how they ate(lolz), how Ellie lived, her blood type(maybe her and the infected both had Blood Type O(obviously cheesy if that was an explanation). A huge array of variables could be present.

GOD I love how this game makes us question so many things 3 weeks after release.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 11 of 22 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3659 posts

Jul 10, 2013

I bet her babies would become infected. Mushroom babies.

Message 12 of 22 (213 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
42 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 10, 2013

I am no doctor here but I believe if a disease mutants and someone gets infected by the mutanted disease it doesnt revert back to the unmutanted version of the disease. Example SARS, mutanted by pigs I believe then transfered to humans. 

But then again in this situation I think it depends on why or how it mutanted. Something in me wants to believe that yes if she BIT someone she would transfer the mutanted disease but then again I keep thinking that maybe they meant a mutation INSIDE ELLIE that caused the disease to not take over her body like everyone else. In other words a mutation which cause the disease mutation. Which if that is the case I believe she could transfer that to her children IF the disease didnt effect her ability to have children (remember is technically all over her brain and maybe other organs). 

Message 13 of 22 (206 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Jul 11, 2013

xFrunchx wrote:

I am no doctor here but I believe if a disease mutants and someone gets infected by the mutanted disease it doesnt revert back to the unmutanted version of the disease. Example SARS, mutanted by pigs I believe then transfered to humans. 

But then again in this situation I think it depends on why or how it mutanted. Something in me wants to believe that yes if she BIT someone she would transfer the mutanted disease but then again I keep thinking that maybe they meant a mutation INSIDE ELLIE that caused the disease to not take over her body like everyone else. In other words a mutation which cause the disease mutation. Which if that is the case I believe she could transfer that to her children IF the disease didnt effect her ability to have children (remember is technically all over her brain and maybe other organs). 

Actually I thought about this too.  The story is wonderful but the science here is a little fuzzy.  If the disease actually mutated inside of her then in reality the Fireflies are idiots.  You dont need to disect Ellie to transfer immunity.  You just have her bite you (or just take some spores from any part of her body and grow them) and you will get the mutated version instead of the actual version...just making you immune.  Then this is a trait that would be carried by any children as they would be born with the mutated fungus already in their system. 

However ND seems to be going more the route that (despite what the doctors actually say) there is something within Ellie that mutated and kept the spores from affecting her in the way it affects other humans.  In which case this is also idiotic to kill Ellie because the liklihood of being able to create the mutation that does this is extremely unlikely (it would be like trying to give every human sickle cell anemia which is a genetic trait and not something you can do).  If this is the case then the best bet for humanity is for her to have children who would likely also have this genetic trait and eventually the population at large will have this trait (once again sickle cell anemia being an example of this).

Either way......its not really the point of the game.  The point was to put up a Utilitarian view of human life vs what most people actually think regarding human life.  People may spout Utilitarianism....until they realize that this is how Nazie doctors justified their tests they ran on Jews during the hollocaust (or even in some ways the hollocaust itself).  Utilitarianism sounds good until you start peeling back the layers and you realize that you can justify ANYTHING as long as its for the common good of a greater number of people.

Message 14 of 22 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9630 posts

Jul 11, 2013

She is immune to all forms of the fungus.

How else can she breathe in spores all the time.

The fungus was changed by her, not on its own, or else the spores would infect her with the original version, which it does not.

She is special, her children would likely be as well, having her blood as a source of their blood.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 15 of 22 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

The fungus was changed by her, not on its own, or else the spores would infect her with the original version, which it does not.

She is special, her children would likely be as well, having her blood as a source of their blood.

Actually it is entirely possible to have a mutated form of the fungus that keeps you immune to the original form.  There are mutated viruses that if you get them will give you immunity to its original form as well.  So this is entirely plausable. 

Message 16 of 22 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9630 posts

Jul 11, 2013

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

Actually it is entirely possible to have a mutated form of the fungus that keeps you immune to the original form.  There are mutated viruses that if you get them will give you immunity to its original form as well.  So this is entirely plausable. 

I am no doctor but I think virus and fungus are different.

This fungus gets inside you and starts to grow, something in her makes it grow differently, or "mutate".

Someone should ask ND their intensions here, all we can do is speculate.

But my vote goes to her, not the fungus as being special.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 17 of 22 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2754 posts

Jul 11, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

That's real smart of you. Say spoiler alert, then put the spolier in the title for everyone to see....

Good job man.

Anyone on this forum already knows ellies immune...

Uncharted 2 Stats Card by JAKPRO.net - teffyz
Message 18 of 22 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

Hey man, it doesn't help to say "Spoiler Alert" when in literally the next phrase OF THE THREAD TITLE you reveal one of the biggest plot points in the early part of the game. Please don't do that again. Some people really amaze me - I mean what was going through your head? Now everyone that hasn't played yet knows why Ellie is important. Nice job, Destroyer of Games, Ruiner of Interesting Plot Twists, Crusher of all that Makes Games Interesting! I bow to you.

Message 19 of 22 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

I am no doctor but I think virus and fungus are different.

This fungus gets inside you and starts to grow, something in her makes it grow differently, or "mutate".

Someone should ask ND their intensions here, all we can do is speculate.

But my vote goes to her, not the fungus as being special.

If you read my prior post I note both possibilities and that with either killing Ellie is extreme for what they are trying to do.

Message 20 of 22 (132 Views)
0 Likes