Jun 25 2013
By: Banjo_aus Lombax Warrior 153 posts

Suggested change to melee... thoughts?

5 replies 1360 views Edited Jun 25, 2013

Thanks to help in another thread, I've just learned that you can melee hit with your gun and finish off downed enemies with it or by shooting them: for the former, you just press Square when you have a gun drawn but don't have a melee weapon in your inventory.

Okay, but I HATE that you don't have a choice. If Joel is carrying a melee weapon, it MUST be used. You can't, say, save that machete for a tough Clicker and use your rifle butt on that Runner. Yet you can, it seems, pummel someone with a brick while carrying a melee weapon. Huh?

IMO, pressing Square should melee with whatever is currently in Joel's hands: gun butt if a gun is drawn, brick if holding one, melee weapon if ready, or just fists if his hands are empty (nothing drawn).

How do others feel about how melee is handled? Sure, it's easier now, but not only is it unrealistic, it prevents loads of fun with other attack methods, since you're likely going to have a melee weapon on your pack as much as possible, and lower difficulties give you more than enough of them.

Personally, I would LOVE to see a patch that made one small change to how melee weapons work, even though it would actually make things harder (no insta-kill with a single melee button-press if you didn't have it ready). Perhaps just the simple addition of a melee weapon "slot" for the d-pad menu (up, with bombs moved to below the molotov?) or another mapped "equip melee weapon" button?

The idea would be that you need to draw a melee weapon into Joel's hands before using it, as now with guns, bombs, etc. Square would still melee, using whatever was equipped.

The result would be that you could choose NOT to melee with your melee weapon, instead using fists or a gun butt if you felt the enemy was weak enough to chance it, or the situation called for it. Melee weapons could be "saved" for tougher enemies... and players would get to mess around with the melee combat system a lot more!

Of course, I'd also love the ability to "holster" the current weapon with a button press, but I've been saying that since the demo came out! Smiley Happy

But what do others think?

Message 1 of 6 (1,360 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Re: Suggested change to melee... thoughts?

Jun 25, 2013
I am fine with the way melee is and have saved my one hit kill weapons like axes and kukiris over 2 seasons in the game, spefically Fall to Winter to Spring

The only thing I don't like is when an enemy starts melee combo-ing you, you're helpless until they finish. I wish you could dodge.
Message 2 of 6 (1,357 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 25, 2013

I love that idea. Makes for a great tactical gameplay. But sometimes Joel hits them with melee weapons and finishes them off with his fists. Unfortunately I can hardly imagine Naughty Dog patching that up.

Message 3 of 6 (1,355 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 25, 2013

plaZeHD7 wrote:

I love that idea. Makes for a great tactical gameplay. But sometimes Joel hits them with melee weapons and finishes them off with his fists. Unfortunately I can hardly imagine Naughty Dog patching that up.

I don't mind that ("scripted" finisher after using a melee weapon), as you get the intended advantage of using the melee weapon anyway.

I too "saved" my machete from the sewers to the dam, and had the same axe from the dam until the end of the game! My issue is that you don't have any choice; if you have a melee weapon and want to melee someone, you HAVE to use that weapon up.

I'd FAR prefer to have the choice to use fists or a gun butt, even if it proved a foolish choice and got me killed.

It wouldn't be a big change, either, just makes things more tactical and a bit more realsitic (and yes, a little harder/less arcade-y too, but not THAT much harder).

Not sure if ND are the sort of devs who listen to fans re: patches and things like this, though I've seen it happen with other devs in the past (the awful "detection" issues of Hitman: Absolution springs to mind!).

Message 4 of 6 (1,345 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Jun 25, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
I am fine with the way melee is and have saved my one hit kill weapons like axes and kukiris over 2 seasons in the game, spefically Fall to Winter to Spring

The only thing I don't like is when an enemy starts melee combo-ing you, you're helpless until they finish. I wish you could dodge.
Same. You just have to watch yourself get the crap beat out of you. I mean, I like the idea that you aren't a super hero and the enemy actually gets hits on you but what about like, one dodge per person you fight. Like, whenever you start melee fighting, you get one oppurtunity to dodge ONE attack from the enemy. Just so we don't have to watch ourselves be beaten up. Also, I strongly agree with OP. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 5 of 6 (1,319 Views)
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Jun 25, 2013

Bashilir wrote:

Also, I strongly agree with OP.

Very glad to hear I'm not alone (or nuts, for wanting more "realism" here).

IMO, TLOU was a great game, but it has a few very odd "feature" decisions that really bug me, and this is very close to the top of the list! Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 6 (1,313 Views)
0 Likes