Survivor
2480 posts

Re: Suggestion For Guns *No Ammo Count on HUD + Full Clips*

Jun 23, 2012

Coffeebug wrote:

Honestly I'd find that really, really annoying. Not extra fun or extra challenging, just a complete pain so I'm glad they decided to put the bullet count on the HUD.

Why? The ammo count completely ruins the idea of "Balance of Power"

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 31 of 49 (553 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
35 posts

Jul 1, 2012

Your second suggestion is similar to Mercenaries 2, except the ammo would be shown as 32/4, 32 meaning ammo left in clip, and 4 meaning number of clips remaining. Unless, of course, you used cheats XD

Message 32 of 49 (541 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

Jul 1, 2012

dominator2727 wrote:

Your second suggestion is similar to Mercenaries 2, except the ammo would be shown as 32/4, 32 meaning ammo left in clip, and 4 meaning number of clips remaining. Unless, of course, you used cheats XD

You mean magazines right?

266px-Clip_vs_mag1.jpg

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 33 of 49 (539 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 7, 2012

Amazing idea!!!

Both of them!

Not being able to see your ammo count and having magazines not magically transfer bullets are both ideas that should be necessary in a survival game like this.

It would feel much more real if the player was forced into the same situation as Joel when in a gunfight: you never know when you'll run out of bullets. It would make the survival aspect seem 10x more real. Additionally it would make the *empty shot giving away that you're out of ammo* feature much more common and real, since players would actually accidently shoot when they are out of ammo. It would force players to remember how many shots they have left for the sake of survival. Otherwise, they could just look up in the corner and see they have no shots left. Lame.

Having a feature to check how many bullets you have in your magazine (animation included) would be a great addition.

If Naughty Dog doesn't remove the ammo counter by default, then I want an option to turn it off in the menu at least. Unfortunately then we wouldn't get the nice "check your bullets" feature though Smiley Sad

And having magazines reload realistically is also a wonderful idea.

I mean, they ARE going for realism right? In real life if you reload, any bullets left in the magazine will go to waste. They don't magically transfer to your new magazine.

This feature would greatly improve the survival aspect.

For example, say you have a revolver that can carry six shots total, and you know you have two shots left before you need to reload (from memory of course, since the ammo counter should be gone from the game altogether, except maybe on the easiest difficulty), but you also have six more shots reserve (eight total), and you come up on a group of five guys talking to each other who haven't seen you yet and you need to take them out to progress, it presents you with a new dynamic: do you reload and lose two precious bullets so that you are more prepared for the fight, or do you save your two bullets and risk reloading for the benefit of having eight shots against five men instead of six shots against five men?

To the people who are saying that these ideas would be annoying and get in the way of gunplay, THIS IS NOT A RUN AND GUN GAME! This isn't Uncharted, it's a survival horror game. Features like this are what separate this genre from the action/adventure genre.

If anything, have an option at the beginning of the game whether this information should be in HUD or not. That way players can choose without being unaware they have a choice.

Brilliant suggestions. Naughty Dog, TAKE NOTE!

Message 34 of 49 (509 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Jul 8, 2012

Well said, sir

Brilliantly said, sir

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 35 of 49 (496 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Jul 9, 2012

I'm pretty sure you would grow tired of checking how much ammo you have one hour into it. I don't think you would be checking your ammo when you are in a situation that requires you to unload real fast. 

photo TLOU1_zpsd19d635d.jpg
Message 36 of 49 (482 Views)
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Re: Suggestion For Guns

Aug 20, 2012
Please ND give us an option to deactivate the HUD!
Message 37 of 49 (439 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Sep 20, 2012

This needs to happen

Message 38 of 49 (409 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
363 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 21, 2012

I hope ND does this. This game doesn't seem to have that many ammo laying around and other supplies are really scarce.I'm pretty sure keeping track of all 8 revolver bullets and 3 shotgun shells that you carry ain't that difficult lol. And it's also adds that "new" experience to players, since i have not played a game with this kind of feature.

EDIT: I also thought about having the players gun malfunction at very random times, so during a gunfight you will be forced to make quick judgements on the spot. It wil always keep you thinking throughout the game because there is always that unexpected thing that might happen and you want to be prepared for it. Just don't over do it though because it might probably be too cruel for most players (esp to those who just want to keep the story moving), but i would love if they try to do this.

+============================================================+
Message 39 of 49 (384 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Oct 1, 2012

This has been tried many times before it depends on how it sets with the theme and gameplay, if it's information you need to know instantly in situatuons then its gonner make the game that much harder.

http://gamewise.co/games/45504/The-Last-of-Us
Message 40 of 49 (342 Views)
0 Likes