I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Re: TLOU 4 Hour In - IMPRESSION

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

@Sportz-18

It still made for a better experience in my opinion. Uncharted 2 was sadly too repetetive but I still love it to death. It falls after three playthroughs once you realise each scenario is move to location X, clean the area of enemies, rinse and repeat. The only real breaks are given in form of puzzles and platforming. It's almost similar to Bioshock Infinite that holds a rather ambitious story (not perfect though) but it really doesnt vary its gameplay.

UC3 on the other hand introduces brawls, there are sections with a horse, animation alteration through set pieces and the whole dry docks level added a new dimension thanks to the swimming despite it being out of place in context to the story (although I would argue it added some depth by showing just how reckless Drake is, especially for Sully). Then there's the chase sequences that while might not make -sense- still mix it up, there's the monolouge to slow down the pace during the desert. There are several moments where you just walk around which parallel one of the awesome moments in UC2 (Tibet village). There is drug sequences, vertical platform shooting and more. It is also shorter than UC2 which kills any feel for tediousness for me. It was the perfect length.

I've made a full chapter breakdown for both games. UC2 consists of around 150-200 more enemies with far more shoot outs and a story that is rather spoon fed to you.

UC3 is simply more fun for me to play which is why I have played through it 29 times without any real feeling of it becoming stale. I know it's ridicilous but it is the way I see it.

Naughty Dog is in a league of their own when it comes to story telling. The fact that UC3 wasn't quite AS well in terms of it being woven together as UC2 was (that game was also made with the setpieces first although not as many hence made for a less moments that feel "out of place"), doesnt take away from the fact that I preferred the story UC3 told and it was still leagues ahead of the majority of games. I did never truly feel anything was out of place because I was too **bleep** immersed and enjoyed the ride.  The overall story from UC3 was something I took with me on a personal and emotional note.

I simply felt more and I connected more to it. I play games mostly for the experience, and less for the killing.

Message 91 of 111 (339 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

May 30, 2013

^ Well said.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 92 of 111 (325 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

@Nate3963
Thanks!

Right now I feel like booting up Drake walking in Cartagena or just strolling around in the jungle of France. This would ultimately lead me to finish the game in a sitting or go further than I intended to because the game just holds my interest.

Whereas if I went to UC2, I'd be all over nepal, killing guys left and right in which i'd turn the game off and say well that was okay.

UC3 has that as well, but they simply gave gameplay more variation and it ultimately led to the better experience for me.

It wasn't until I played UC3 that I realised my biggest gripes with UC2 which was the repetetiveness and the spoonfed story really. I just knew it wasn't my favourite game. With UC3 however: I instantly recognized it as my favourite.

Message 93 of 111 (314 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
434 posts

May 30, 2013

When I first played Uncharted 3,  I was so excited,  I was hoping for a game that was even better than the previous.  My problem lies in that I was let down.  I had seen all of the trailers and frankly there wasn't more to the game than the action trailers I had scene.  I guess you could say the trailers spoiled the experience for me.  I expected a story that was great and mysterious because ND talked of Drakes secret.  I thought we were going to get something new.  I was greatly disappointed.  I felt like I was playing Uncharted 2 over again but with a more poorly written story.  After playing the first couple hours I just figured, well this is going the same route as uncharted 2, which it did.  The train crashed leaving Drake to fend for himself and the plane crash doing the exact same.  He gets saved by some foreigner and the came the car chase scene where I felt like I as having Deja Vu.  It was more fun to play in U3 but since I had seen it before,  I dismissed the experience.  I figured the game would end up in some mystical place and you would find and kill Marlowe and escape and the game would end.  I wasn't far off.  Without the story to keep me invested the gameplay just wasn't enough.  Is it a bad game?  No, but it definetly did no do for me what Uncharted 2 did as it felt ripped off by U2.

photo Uncharted forum_zpsc7kdez3c.jpg
Message 94 of 111 (299 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013
UC2 more repetitive than UC3? Smiley Indifferent
UC3 had a story?? can someone explain this story being spoken of?
ND's story telling is average the JAK series had better writing than that of the UC series yet everyone acts like the latter is better in such category.
UC2 SP > UC3
UC3 MP > UC2
Message 95 of 111 (274 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

May 30, 2013
Uncharted 3 felt like a carbon copy of 2 in some places.

It was a case of trying to go bigger and better in the third movie makes it worse than it's predecessor.

Lots of movies have this happen to them. Return of the Jedi, while not a bad movie, doesn't hold up to The Empire Strikes Back because it reuses elements of it's predecessor that are on steroids, like the Second Death Star.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 96 of 111 (261 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
434 posts

May 30, 2013

Zidane_Finito wrote:
UC2 more repetitive than UC3? Smiley Indifferent
UC3 had a story?? can someone explain this story being spoken of?
ND's story telling is average the JAK series had better writing than that of the UC series yet everyone acts like the latter is better in such category.
UC2 SP > UC3
UC3 MP > UC2

I disagree.  U3's mp to me was worse than its single player

I liked how U2 was slow paced and when you got the better of someone they coudn't just sprint away.  You actually had a learning curve in U2, but in U3 someone could pick up the controller and never us L1 and they were fine.  I dislike how you can throw back granades.  This is because when you do so the timer resets,  since when does a granades timer reset just because someone picks it up?  I liked it when I threw a perfect granade in U2 and it actually killed people if they didnt roll away.  I also dislike how the aiming is more stiff in U3.  I don't like the whole gameplay mechanics such as movement.  Things like jumping, sprinting, throwing granades, aiming, rolling, moving in cover etc.  I don't like how weapons feel unbalanced to me atleast.  I don't like how the sniper automatically zooms.  I don't like how someone can roll away when you try to punch them.  I dispise power plays as it helps someone who sucks, giving them no inncentive to get better at the game.  Kickbacks I think are lame that someone can pull and rpg outta their butt or poof into smoke, it does not feel like uncharted to me at all.  At first thought I presumed having loadouts would be good, but when I actually played with them, I just don't like the idea of someone starting out with something other than an AK.  I dont agree with the customization.  The things people use on their characters are too silly.  The graphics aren't as good and the maps are not symmetrical for the most part.  The game feels uncompetative to me, its a joke to play.  however, I do like the buddy system and the melees from climbing and how they made is so the person carrying the treasure isn't defenseless.  

photo Uncharted forum_zpsc7kdez3c.jpg
Message 97 of 111 (252 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

May 30, 2013
All I can really say is that opinions differ and everyone is entitled to theirs Smiley Happy

Did anyone see Greg Miller tweet to Adam Sessler saying "Sorry I had to kill you in TLOU"

Could that be a MP hint?
Message 98 of 111 (210 Views)
Wastelander
768 posts

May 30, 2013

Aldro wrote:
All I can really say is that opinions differ and everyone is entitled to theirs Smiley Happy

Did anyone see Greg Miller tweet to Adam Sessler saying "Sorry I had to kill you in TLOU"

Could that be a MP hint?

well...they did send out the press kits of the game, so yeah. they played the multiplayer.

Message 99 of 111 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
11448 posts

May 30, 2013

loakum wrote:

Aldro wrote:

Could that be a MP hint?

well...they did send out the press kits of the game, so yeah. they played the multiplayer.

People who had retail review copies can't play multiplayer. Reviewers who had debug review codes could play MP started from tuesday until today, at designated times with other reviewers.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 100 of 111 (137 Views)