Sackboy
405 posts

Re: TLOU 4 Hour In - IMPRESSION

May 30, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:

Aldro wrote:
@Aureilia

Added this incase you missed it regarding Drakes Name =>

EDIT: Also regarding his name. He will be Drake to us, no matter what. What they were going for by dropping the name was to allude to the fact that Drake was an orphan as a child. He felt no purpose in life and he wanted something to hold on to, something to aspire to. Something to give his life greater meaning. Hence why he became obsessed with Francis Drake and claimed to be his heir. His obsession from the past made him nearly lose the friends he had gained in the future. Sully helps him to let go of this and he is once again back with Elena, hopefully for good. I thought it was beautiful and not as spoon fed as UC2s story which really didnt have anything like this.

This is why I liked UC3's story better than 2's. It's less clear cut and you have to actually think about what happened. The air of mystery between Talbot and Drake's backstory made the story more enjoyable.

Talbot had no back story.  - _-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY5OA0QKEFQ&list=FLv6RUZ5-WMLxbzgSZJMaujg&feature=mh_lolz

photo tloumpreveal_zpse1518e02.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 61 of 111 (368 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7293 posts

May 30, 2013
^That's what I liked about him. And I saw that video already.

Please use plain text.
Message 62 of 111 (356 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
874 posts

May 30, 2013
@AKyemeni
Oh I just love your sig, just so satisfying.
Please use plain text.
Message 63 of 111 (349 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
469 posts

May 30, 2013

LOL @ U3's story being better than U2's.

---
PSN: Chaystic

add me.
Please use plain text.
Message 64 of 111 (347 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
12997 posts

[ Edited ]
May 30, 2013

EyeCue86 wrote:

tapantaola wrote:

EyeCue86 wrote:
I'm still not sure how they thought walking for 15 minutes was good gameplay. That should have been a cutscene.

Dude, that section is not supposed to be "good" or "challenging" gameplay.

According to Jeremy Yates (Lead Character Animator), you're supposed to feel empathy for Nathan Drake and say "hey, we can do this!" and walk in that vast desert. At least that's what he said in an video interview (can't find the link right now).

I take it that you didn't like Heavy Rain either, because it's an "interactive movie"? :smileytongue:

I felt it the first time but, after that it just became tedious. They could have conveyed that in a cutscene just as well.

As for Heavy Rain, I never played it because, that's not my kind of gameplay.

I actually love Heavy Rain.. Well I have to admit during the first hour I was for the first time doubting Quantic Dream. My god that first hour or so was terrible. The rest of it was pretty good though

I still don't like that sand part of Uncharted 3 though.

At least in Heavy Rain they are building to the action. In Uncharted 3 they randomly stop the action to walk across the desert. After an absolutely epic part of the game.

I felt nothing but bored, by that time in the game, the game had conditioned me for action adventure, if you jump into the middle of an action adventure and include a toilet break style sequence you will lose some peoples focus. Mine just totally shifted and I didn't enjoy anything from that point onwards until the City of Brass stuff.

Mind you.. As much as I do love Uncharted 2.. I hated the start and I hated how mid game it made me do exactly the same thing again. I fully appreaciate that walk through Tenzin's country and how pretty it looks. but hell.. I still want my action adventure game to be an action adventure game. If I want a stroll in the park I'll go outside.

I think we established I want to shoot stuff up in my games.

if I'm going to be honest here. Uncharted 3 isn't that bad and I honestly can't focus on how good it looks because the story just... Makes no sense to me at all. I want to shoot stuff up and have a story that doesn't kick itself square in the nuts half way through.

At the end of the day if your story or gameplay isn't up to par, I don't care about your graphics and will receive little attention. Gameplay > Story > Graphics.

I'm going to take a massive burning after saying what I'm about to say.

In terms of getting together the perfect game in terms of story and gameplay I'd have to say Uncharted Drakes Fortune is actually better than Uncharted 2. As far as I can remember the first Uncharted doesn't stop you playing for a slow horrible section for the sake of it at any time.

But.. The best well crafted game in a story and gameplay context.. Would have to be the first Black Ops.. Yeah.. I know. CoD SP's are terrible. This was the one that actually wasn't. Every other one has been horribly badly written and generic war based blahblahblah.

Please use plain text.
Message 65 of 111 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
601 posts

May 30, 2013
Speaking of graphics, i played the beta version (lincol/pittsburgh) at an event and honestly the graphics were not good as UC3 sp.
But still, it was a beta and maybe the final product will be better.
I noticed a lot of antialiasing especially on clickers.
Please use plain text.
Message 66 of 111 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
763 posts

May 30, 2013

plaZeHD7 wrote:

omg

SO much beauty

^ This.  I haven't been this excited for a game since....the first time I seen a Metal Gear Solid 4 trailer

Please use plain text.
Message 67 of 111 (266 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
763 posts

May 30, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

Not as pretty as Uncharted 3?...

Man the characters don't look that bad.. Maybe I'm blind but it looks vastly superior to Uncharted 3 graphically?

If you're blind, then we're both blind, because I also see The Last of Us blowing out Uncharted 3, in graphics, textures, and detail.

Please use plain text.
Message 68 of 111 (265 Views)
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

May 30, 2013
@Aureilia
That's cool man. We all have our preference on games. For instance, I reckon you'd HATE MGS4 for the slow-ness, insane long cutscenes, whereas I truly love it.
Please use plain text.
Message 69 of 111 (233 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

May 30, 2013
@loakum
Let's wait until we have it on our own television all right? :smileyvery-happy: I hope you're right!
Please use plain text.
Message 70 of 111 (232 Views)
0 Likes