Fender Bender
2812 posts

Re: TLOU Remastered "disc space" restrictions.....

[ Edited ]
May 15, 2014

YoungBeard wrote:

l-Silhouettes-l wrote:

1. Nope. Both the PS3 and the PS4 use the same optical discs (Blu-Ray 50GB max capacity).

2. They never said that.

Cinematics = pre-recorded video files (it's like YouTube Full HD or Matroska 1080p files)

1. I meant to say "it seems to have more space on PS4". It's edited

2. Read the article again. It's implied that they probably didn't have the amount of "space" to make everything run perfectly. Which is why the cinemetics were focused on more heavily

There are other articles that talk about this as well. And even if it is the same amount of space on blue-ray, then how come it can fit on PS3 perfectly but have probelms on the PS4 version? Smiley Indifferent

They added extra stuff that don't exist in the PS3 disc ("in-cinematic director commentary and downloadable content for both single-player and multiplayer"), not to mention higher-quality textures etc.

Anyway, if they utilize hardware-accelerated compression (H.264 for videos and zlib* for other assets), they shouldn't have any problem with 50GB discs.

To further enhance optical drive performance, the PS4 features a hardware on-the-fly zlib decompression module (a special piece of hardware used to quickly decompress the data on the Blu-ray disc, which has been compressed to save space and bandwidth)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_technical_specifications#Blu-ray_disc

ps: The entire game will be rendered at 1080p/60fps, not just the cinematics. In fact it's easier to pull that off in cinematics, since they're not rendered in real time.

Message 11 of 17 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2023 posts

May 15, 2014

^That's not the point though. I can understand why there isn't enough space. But IMO, in order to properly fit everything, they should have done two disks as that could could fit everything. If you don't agree, then that's fine. This is just my opinion

young beard signature
Message 12 of 17 (205 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2812 posts

May 15, 2014

My opinion is that they can fit everything in ONE 50GB disc. Smiley Wink

Worst case scenario: they could omit the MP data and make you download them (as a patch) as soon as you insert the PS4 disc.

So no, there's no need for 2 discs.

Message 13 of 17 (203 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

May 16, 2014

Welp, if this turns out disappointing, my PS4 purchase will be significantly postponed Smiley Wink

Message 14 of 17 (149 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

May 17, 2014

Where_Iz_JP wrote:

The Last Of Us is ment to be played on PS3 not PS4.They are wasting there resoures doing this.

Your opinion, dude. I, for one, am PUMPED for this port

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 15 of 17 (138 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

May 21, 2014

Sony should just put Last of us PS4 Remaster on 100GB Blue Ray Disc, that fix issue of space so no cuts. 

Message 16 of 17 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

May 21, 2014

My bets on PS4 Version Filesizes

Main Game Filesize: 38GB-42GB

Left Behind DLC Filesize: 8GB-12GB

Rest DLCs Filesize: 5GB-8GB

New Features: 2-5GB

Total Filesize: 52GB-67GB

Message 17 of 17 (97 Views)
0 Likes