Jul 30 2013
By: Ratsneve Hekseville Citizen 328 posts

TLoU, Memory of Games, and Raising The Bar

[ Edited ]
5 replies 149 views Edited Jul 30, 2013

As meaningful as the story, character development, and emotions of TLoU have been for so many of us for me there have been even greater moments in much much earlier games.  One I immediately think of is Infocom's text adventure called 'Planetfall' and its lead robot named Floyd.  (Yet others are 'A Mind Forever Voyaging'--also text; Planescape:Torment; and no doubt others I've forgotten for the moment.)

All text interactive adventures still remain fascinating to think about BECAUSE from the text you read you create a 'world' of scenes, action, acting, dialog, and emotions in your mind that can be as 'real' (though not as new) as your memory allows.

Now move 5 or 10 years into the future and think about what was your favorite game.  TLoU will be nothing more then your memories of it mixed in with all the other games you've played, books you've read, and movies you've watched.  As emotional and real as Ellie is now she still won't exceed the first emotion I felt in a game toward Floyd.

The point is that from a memory perspective an old text adventure can mean as much today in many ways as a first-class adventure like TLoU.  There are some missing flaws though: music score themes, voices, sound effects, and graphic detail that don't exist at all in a text adventure.  Best music score for me is still in one of the Tomb Raider's.  Although I like the score in TLoU it isn't so memorable.

I've tried several times over the years to play some recent and old text adventures.  It just doesn't work the same anymore.

IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 1 of 6 (149 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Re: TLoU, Memory of Games, and Raising The Bar

Jul 30, 2013

Well that's your opinion (if you are saying that you won't remember The Last of Us 5-10 years to the future any more than you'd remember other games). I personally most likely will at least remember it with a special place, and play it at least once every year because it's that good and I just think it deserves to be played at least once per year.

But I'll more likely play it more often, though.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 2 of 6 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Jul 30, 2013
I'm not that picky when it comes to playing classics that I loved. Titles like ff7, Metal Gear 1-4, Uncharted 2, Resident evil 2/ REmake. So the Last of us belongs with these as my favorite games ever. I'll never forget the emotions and very sad feeling of wanting more after my first play through
Message 3 of 6 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Jul 30, 2013

WinterEdit wrote:

Well that's your opinion (if you are saying that you won't remember The Last of Us 5-10 years to the future any more than you'd remember other games). I personally most likely will at least remember it with a special place, and play it at least once every year because it's that good and I just think it deserves to be played at least once per year.

No, that isn't what I said.  I'm saying that looking back TLoU will take its place in my list of memorable games played as one of the best I've ever played.  'Other games' are already exlcuded from the list.  TLoU is with the best but it shares the position.  Life is to short to play something over and over again every year for my mileage.

IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 4 of 6 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Jul 30, 2013

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to say - is it just that 10 years from now we will look back on TLOU the same way that right now we look back at say, Half Life 2? Yeah, that's probably the case. That's the way video games work; technology progresses, and because of that, and because of the expanding video game market, games will have higher and higher production value, and it ten years TLOU may seem somewhat primitive, but it will still be remembered as the best PS3 exclusive and probably one of the best games of the current console generation.

I think that it is in fact the best game to grace this generation of consoles (meaning PS3, XBox 360, and i guess the Wii haha), and because of that it will def hold a special place in my heart. The same way Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy VII hold a special place in my heart. I still play Metal Gear Solid sometimes. Even though it's 15 years old now (about that I think), the storyline and characters are as intereting as ever, and the gameplay is still fun. Some parts of the game are primitive (the boss fights were kinda stupid, like total trial and error), but overall I still enjoy it and respect it.

Message 5 of 6 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
564 posts

Jul 30, 2013

Ratsneve wrote:

WinterEdit wrote:

No, that isn't what I said.  I'm saying that looking back TLoU will take its place in my list of memorable games played as one of the best I've ever played.  'Other games' are already exlcuded from the list.  TLoU is with the best but it shares the position.  Life is to short to play something over and over again every year for my mileage.

Alright, then I agree.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 6 of 6 (96 Views)
0 Likes