Jun 15 2013
By: Wanderearth Lombax Warrior 85 posts

TLoU: The Good and The Bad - My Honest Opinion

[ Edited ]
12 replies 1036 views Edited Jun 15, 2013

This is my honest 'review' of The Last of Us.  So Far.  I haven't played the game all the way through but I think there is merit in giving an honest opinion even midway through the game.  I'm playing on a PS3 Slim, SP on normal.

The Good

The story line is engaging and very well put together.  The story is interesting and believable.  It's like reading a good book or watching a fascinating movie with all it's many nuances being played out on the big screen except that you get to play as one of the characters.  Interaction is so much better than just sitting in a soda stained chair and munching popcorn in a noisy movie theatre.

The game is very cinematic (that can be good or bad).  There is a very strong storyline and you know from the start that this is going somewhere, you're be directed to a conclusion.  Like I said, depending on your viewpoint, that can be good or bad.

The characters are believable and for the most part likeable.  I like Joel, a guy who's had some very hard choices to make and has often made the wrong ones, but he seems to be at heart a good guy.  We can see from the beginning of the game that he was a good guy but events have forced his hand and now he's just trying to survive in any way he can.  It's easy to see that Joel has had a hard life, even before the Outbreak, and the 20 years since then has worn him down even further and cut deeply into the lines on his face. 

The cutscenes are beautiful!  Works of art all by themselves.  If enough of these scenes were pasted together and the actual gameplay removed, this could be a top notch movie, albeit an animated one. 

The voice acting is the best I've ever heard in a video game (though I haven't played many, I must say).  Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are to be commended for creating believable, likeable characters.  Instead of the usual often ridiculous over exaggeration we often hear in the commentary coming from other games, the dialog in TLoU is very convincing and adds immensely to the believability of the game.

The Bad

TLoU is linear, very linear - at least up to the point I've reached.  I knew this was a somewhat linear game but I had heard talk of it being 'wide linear'  so I had hopes that it would be a little more open than has been so far.  Instead, I feel as though I'm being forced along an invisible path with very little freedom or choice as to where I can go or what I can explore.  For me at least, a game should offer it's players choice and freedom and there's very little of that here.  $60 is a lot of money to plunk down on a one use only game (unless you're into multiplayer which I'm not).  In a game as beautiful as TLoU is, with so many places that are begging to be explored, being forced to remain on a narrow path with interesting areas all around you has been my biggest disappointment. 

Nature feels plastic in this game.  This was a big disappointment for me.  Even games that are a lot older like Farcry 2 have rendered the foliage much more realistically and they move realistically as well.  In TLoU, leaves feel plastic, hang at odd angles and if they move at all, move very stiffly.  Trees and bushes appear to have been quickly cut and pasted at various arbitrary angles and it's rather easy to see where branches have been added one on top of the other.  The natural scenery was the part I was most interested in experiencing, Wasteland Beautiful, and so the stiff plastic feel is another disappointment.

The AI is incredibly clunky at many points.  If you are 'in stealth' meaning you are crouching and moving slowly, you can walk right past enemies very easily even when you are well within their peripheral vision.  They just don't seem to be able to hear or sense you if you just move slowly.  So it's very easy to take them out one by one if you just move slowly and then hit the triangle/square combo. 

Enemies are bullet sponges.  Shooting them often seems to have no effect whatsoever and they continue to shoot or come at you as though they hadn't just received what would have easily been a fatal or at least crippling shot in real life.  It makes sense to me that when someone is shot, the first thing they're going to do, if they're still standing, is get down and try to get away if they can.  Here, they just continue to stand and shoot away at you, taking bullet after bullet until they finally keel over.  That's fine for a game, unless one of it's selling points is realism. 

Friendly AI, like Ellie and Tess, often get in the way.  It can be very irritating when you're trying to do something quickly, go somewhere, and Ellie or other friendly AI's consistently get in the way, block you, follow you when you wish you could get them to just stay behind you or just stay put somewhere else.  It can also be a pain when you're crouched down behind cover being quiet with the flashlight off and Tess, for instance, is standing up with her flashlight on and shining it right on the enemy (who usually don't seem to notice) or begins to shoot you you were trying to be quiet thus giving you away.

Despite what others have said, this game has a very Uncharted look and feel to it, though of course, the story is completely different.  While TLoU is certainly colorful, it feels almost cartoonish in many ways.  That's another disappointment in a game that I had heard was pushing it's graphics to the maximum capabilities of the PS3.  There are other games out there that feel so much more realistic, it's easy to immerse yourself in the game and feel like your almost experiencing it firsthand.

These are a few of my honest impressions having played this far into the game.  I like Naughty Dog and I think they've made some truly great games.  This is another in many ways, and I like the Post Apocalyptic theme and hope we can see more of that in the future.  There's so much potential with a PA theme.  Despite it's being often used, in most PA games, it's setting is arbitrary and really just a skelton to stick a little action onto and see how it stands up.  TLoU feels better in that sense, because it feels like it could really happen.  There's a real feeling of desperation throughout it.  Still I have to say, everything considered, TLoU is not the best game out there in my honest opinion.

Message 1 of 13 (1,036 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1431 posts

Re: TLoU: The Good and The Bad - My Honest Opinion

[ Edited ]
Jun 15, 2013

In my own personal opinion its the best game I've played since Half Life 1 was released for the PC. Sure it has its flaws, but its a game thats going to stick with me for a long while along with the added replay value. Very view titles have kept me thinking about the story and wanted me to keep coming back.

I have skimmed through your review as I'm too busy to give a detailed reply at X and Y points and my opinon on your on structured review but however I have to disagree with the foilage part. Maybe your not playing on an adequete TV size/system etc. as I think the folliage is the best I've ever seen. My university flat mates even pointed out that some parts of the game look so closest to real that they've ever seen from a video game.

Maybe you haven't progressed far enough into the game to experience this through

>> Multiplayer TLOU: http://www.youtube.com/user/DanViron
>> Twitter: https://twitter.com/VironZz
Message 2 of 13 (1,002 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 15, 2013

Compared to Uncharted this is a sandbox game. Some areas are small, but again compared to uncharted there is some areas that are ALOT bigger than what it had.  The longer you get into the game, the bigger the areas are (ofc some are smaller). There may be multiple houses that you can go into that make the areas even bigger. Needless to say I was happy with the size of the levels.

Message 3 of 13 (992 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Jun 15, 2013

I am enjoying it but would like a tad more action. Lots of just walking and walking - not as many items to find as I would have preferred, but early on still

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 4 of 13 (943 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
884 posts

Jun 15, 2013
Compared to Uncharted, this is very, very open ^^.

I only agree about the AI friend being clunky which is a minor complaint on my part. Everything else is nothing I agree with on the negative parts. Bullet sponges, really?
Message 5 of 13 (939 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
17622 posts

Jun 15, 2013

I agree with the OP.    It's beautiful, sounds good, nice writing, superb voice acting.

Linear... yeah, after something like Skyrim, sure.  But we're playign a story.  This is you, enacting the story they wrote.  So, it'll depend entirely on the quailty of the story.   The writing is very, very cliche in places.   Immediately, we all knew the reason for the smuggling.  It was so obvious.  I expected a bit of something new, there.

I do have to say, the AI is really inconsistent.   At night, I'm sitting completely still behind cover, a soldier detects me.

Middle of the day, I'm strangling a guy, another enemy is in plain sight looking at me, doesn't make a move... um...  

[ 39 ] Every time a mine downs someone an Angel gets its wings.
Message 6 of 13 (882 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
28 posts

Jun 15, 2013

I agree with most of what the OP has said. Im not one of those guys that jumps on the DLC bandwagon as soon as a game releases, but i do feel like this game is lacking in a few ways. So far to where i have go to in the story, i have not seen many of these Zombies, but i feel like it is about to pick up, as i have just got through the part where you have to stealth the clickers. Ive been playing quite a bit of MP, and i like it, but once again, for a game about an infection that destroys the population, and turns people into Zombies, i dont see very many Zombies. The game really needs some sort of Survival/Horde mode, or some form of co op where you actually fight the abominations, and not just other humans.

Message 7 of 13 (847 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
544 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 15, 2013

Wanderearth wrote:

The Bad

TLoU is linear, very linear - at least up to the point I've reached.  I knew this was a somewhat linear game but I had heard talk of it being 'wide linear'  so I had hopes that it would be a little more open than has been so far.  Instead, I feel as though I'm being forced along an invisible path with very little freedom or choice as to where I can go or what I can explore.  For me at least, a game should offer it's players choice and freedom and there's very little of that here.  $60 is a lot of money to plunk down on a one use only game (unless you're into multiplayer which I'm not).  In a game as beautiful as TLoU is, with so many places that are begging to be explored, being forced to remain on a narrow path with interesting areas all around you has been my biggest disappointment. 

Yeah I agree, sometimes it's just boring, walking from one point to another, doing a quick event, and so on. But on the other hand they had to make world even more extensive if they had given you more freedom, which means even more developing time (and they worked on it for very long already)

Nature feels plastic in this game.  This was a big disappointment for me.  Even games that are a lot older like Farcry 2 have rendered the foliage much more realistically and they move realistically as well.  In TLoU, leaves feel plastic, hang at odd angles and if they move at all, move very stiffly.  Trees and bushes appear to have been quickly cut and pasted at various arbitrary angles and it's rather easy to see where branches have been added one on top of the other.  The natural scenery was the part I was most interested in experiencing, Wasteland Beautiful, and so the stiff plastic feel is another disappointment.

Yeah this is so true, what I hate the most are bushes which are not moving at all when you walk into them, like they are just green blocks put there...

The AI is incredibly clunky at many points.  If you are 'in stealth' meaning you are crouching and moving slowly, you can walk right past enemies very easily even when you are well within their peripheral vision.  They just don't seem to be able to hear or sense you if you just move slowly.  So it's very easy to take them out one by one if you just move slowly and then hit the triangle/square combo. 

Maybe it has something to do with the difficulty or something, but I am playing on hard and I have that noticed enemies easily noticed me when I were in their line of sight (except the clickers of course)

Enemies are bullet sponges.  Shooting them often seems to have no effect whatsoever and they continue to shoot or come at you as though they hadn't just received what would have easily been a fatal or at least crippling shot in real life.  It makes sense to me that when someone is shot, the first thing they're going to do, if they're still standing, is get down and try to get away if they can.  Here, they just continue to stand and shoot away at you, taking bullet after bullet until they finally keel over.  That's fine for a game, unless one of it's selling points is realism. 

Don't agree on this, infected are a special case, they don't act like normal human beings. And the human beings I have encountered so far, where all wearing some sort of bullet proof jacket and where working for the army or something, so it isn't very unrealistic when they don't move back and run away.

Friendly AI, like Ellie and Tess, often get in the way.  It can be very irritating when you're trying to do something quickly, go somewhere, and Ellie or other friendly AI's consistently get in the way, block you, follow you when you wish you could get them to just stay behind you or just stay put somewhere else.  It can also be a pain when you're crouched down behind cover being quiet with the flashlight off and Tess, for instance, is standing up with her flashlight on and shining it right on the enemy (who usually don't seem to notice) or begins to shoot you you were trying to be quiet thus giving you away.

Agree, sometimes your friends are just being real idiots. And I also hate it when there occurs an opportunity to silently kill someone, but instead they are just standing there like they are waiting at the bus stop

Despite what others have said, this game has a very Uncharted look and feel to it, though of course, the story is completely different.  While TLoU is certainly colorful, it feels almost cartoonish in many ways.  That's another disappointment in a game that I had heard was pushing it's graphics to the maximum capabilities of the PS3.  There are other games out there that feel so much more realistic, it's easy to immerse yourself in the game and feel like your almost experiencing it firsthand.

Partially agree but maybe it has something to do with your TV or something, because at least I have to admit it certainly looks beautiful Smiley Happy

These are a few of my honest impressions having played this far into the game.  I like Naughty Dog and I think they've made some truly great games.  This is another in many ways, and I like the Post Apocalyptic theme and hope we can see more of that in the future.  There's so much potential with a PA theme.  Despite it's being often used, in most PA games, it's setting is arbitrary and really just a skelton to stick a little action onto and see how it stands up.  TLoU feels better in that sense, because it feels like it could really happen.  There's a real feeling of desperation throughout it.  Still I have to say, everything considered, TLoU is not the best game out there in my honest opinion.

Agree with your conclusion, I certainly wouldn't give it a 10/10 myself looking at the cons and I think it was been a little bit over-hyped. I would still rate it a 9/10 though.

Message 8 of 13 (779 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 15, 2013

We all know the good so here is what I dislike.

-Friendly A.I. break immersion when they're running around the area bumping into the infected and nothing happens.

-Sound issues

-Choppiness in a few cutscenes

To be completely honest, that's about it for me. Fix that and you made excellence at it's finest. 

Message 9 of 13 (766 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
6971 posts

Jun 15, 2013

I don't get it... linearity =/= bad game. This game might actually suffer if it were open. I mean what would you do? do missions for people? Farm missions to the point where you get rewards to max out your stuff? Walk around aimlessly with little supplies and waste them on theoretically unimportant side stuff and be outta luck when story stuff happens. Besides, this game does have some branching stuff in literally all the places. I remember one part of the game where we are walking through a clean looking neighborhood, and it is actually a straight 3-5 minute walk down the street to the next area, but if you take the time to search each house you get interesting notes, collectibles, great conversations, etc. I turned that section into a 20 min thing simply by taking it all in.

By the way, most of those notes are such a good read... In other words, yes it is linear, but that isn't bad at all, I probably wouldn't like it if it was open world. But it is a good linear that lets you get off the beaten path(though not to far) and rewards you almost everytime.

Nature feels plastic, idc graphics mean nothing to me, besides for what it's worth everything does look beautiful.

I don't know what you mean by bullet sponges, everyone goes down in 1-3 shots for me and they fall down are flinch when shot. Other than guys with armour.

I also did not feel like I was playing Uncharted at any point, I wasn't solving puzzles, I wasn't running in guns a blazin, and I defintely wasn't jumping off cliffs and running out of exploding cities.

I also didn't have any trouble with the AI, and although seeing Ellie run up to a guy and take cover literally 2 inches away from him and neither of them react is weird...I would rather have that then to have to babysit 1-3 people almost the entire game and worrying about them f*king everything up.

Oh, I'm just leaving. -Best Uncharted character ever
Message 10 of 13 (744 Views)
0 Likes