Jun 30 2013
By: Punk4real First Son 16 posts

The 2012 E3 gameplay was superior

[ Edited ]
12 replies 340 views Edited Jun 30, 2013

I just noticed last year's E3 gameplay video was insanely good, even better than the final copy.
The way enemies exclaim and talk to one another across rooms, all their animations and how the camera closes in when strangling them or fighting them using hand to hand combat is just fantastic and much better overall. 

E3 2012 Gameplay Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbLOokeC3VU

For example, in the video above, when he went in to melee a guy carrying a shotgun, the guy got surprised and his shotgun accidentally fired. On top of that, the guy YELLED "he's in here" to his buddies. Never had that happen to me when I punched people! 

How come the final game doesnt feel as good as this?

Message 1 of 13 (340 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Re: The 2012 E3 gameplay was superior

Jun 30, 2013

The final game DID implement those things.   The AI is so smart that it reacts to how you play.  So your playthrough of that section, and my playthrough won't look the same.  The enemies react differently based on how we play.  I've had similar cases to that playthrough, but also different.  I've had Ellie save my butt, and I've pointed a gun at an enemy's head while he begged for his life. 

Message 2 of 13 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Jun 30, 2013

This again? lol.

The E3 gameplay was smooth because they wanted to show off what this game could be if played right. Believe me, if you actually try to be cinematic when approaching the enemy AI in combat (not stealth) you will find it is actually still very similar to the E3 demo.

You can still hear enemies shouting at each other about your position, planning attacks, and being scared when you blow their friend's head off with a magnum. If you take an enemy hostage his buddies will flank you or scream at you to drop him. If you win a melee confrontation and knock your enemy to the ground, he will beg you for his life on his knees. It's all still there (apart from disarming an opponent) you just have to attempt to play it smoothly.

Message 3 of 13 (325 Views)
First Son
16 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 30, 2013

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

The final game DID implement those things.   The AI is so smart that it reacts to how you play.  So your playthrough of that section, and my playthrough won't look the same.  The enemies react differently based on how we play.  I've had similar cases to that playthrough, but also different.  I've had Ellie save my butt, and I've pointed a gun at an enemy's head while he begged for his life. 

Sorry, I should've worded it better. It did implement these things but it just doesnt feel as natural as it does in that E3 video.

For example, when he went in to melee a guy carrying a shotgun, the guy got surprised and his shotgun accidentally fired. On top of that, the guy YELLED "he's in here" to his buddies. Never had that happen to me when I punched people!

Message 4 of 13 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Punk4real wrote:

sweetcastlemagic wrote:

Sorry, I should've worded it better. It did implement these things but it just doesnt feel as natural as it does in that E3 video.

For example, when he went in to melee a guy carrying a shotgun, the guy got surprised and the shotgun actually fired. On top of that, the guy YELLED "he's in here" to his buddies. Never had that happen to me when I punched people!

Well, that has not happened to me either, but that begging did.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 5 of 13 (297 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Jun 30, 2013

Ugh? At this point I am not even gonna bother convincing anyone. I give up. Proofs aren't convincing enough anymore.

Message 6 of 13 (246 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Jun 30, 2013
I agree it does look better. But probably because it was way more scripted. But it doesn't bother me because the A.I is still the best I've ever seen.
Message 7 of 13 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
769 posts

Jun 30, 2013

You just suck at the game. That's all.

sig.png

Message 8 of 13 (226 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Jun 30, 2013

I should of saved my E3 arguement as a document. 

Never thought this would be brought up so much. lol.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 9 of 13 (222 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Jun 30, 2013
It doesn't even matter anyway. The game is a masterpiece. Sooo. Who da fuq kares?
Message 10 of 13 (205 Views)
0 Likes