Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
I Only Post Everything
875 posts

Re: The AI is nothing like they showed us.

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

Here, I found the videos. Sorry I couldn't find better players, but they are still proofs.

At Mark 06:00

At mark 02:55 and 03:35

Please use plain text.
Message 101 of 147 (400 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 7, 2013
I had emailed Andrew Kelly, the CVG reviewer who reviewed TLOU. None of us are going to like his response.

"The E3 demo in the hotel was definitely scripted. The moment where an enemy hears Joel's gun click and knows he's run out of ammo is the biggest clue. That never happened to me once.

The AI is by no means dumb, though. It's not as dynamic as that demo suggested, but they're smart and aggressive. More than once I'd be busy shooting at some guys in the distance, only to hear someone run up behind me and whack me with a pipe.

The levels are large and open, so there are a lot o ways for them to flank you – and they don't shout "I'm flanking him!" like in most games, giving the game away.

I watched the E3 demo back after finishing the game and you can tell immediately that a lot of it was pre-canned. But that was early in the game's development, and I think they just wanted to give people a flavour of the game. Ellie is just as smart and useful, and the combat encounters still feel brutal and unpredictable."

But...others here said they have seen the AI do some of those things so I don't know what to believe now
Please use plain text.
Message 102 of 147 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
51 posts

Jun 7, 2013
Honestly, I don't blame Naughty Dog. From what I've seen the AI still looks very impressive, and it looks as if you'll have to stay alert when fighting humans.
The AI shown in the E3 demo may have been better, but that demo was shown a full year ago now, and they may have had to dumb it down a little since then for practical reasons. It's not as if they've tried to hide it from us, as we've seen plenty of gameplay since E3, giving us a more accurate idea of how the game will play.
It's a little disappointing, but ultimately I'm still massively looking forward to playing the full game next week!
Please use plain text.
Message 103 of 147 (287 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
469 posts

Jun 7, 2013

I don't get people, yeah sure the AI is not exactly like in the E3 demo but compared to other games it's still impressive.

---
PSN: Chaystic

add me.
Please use plain text.
Message 104 of 147 (278 Views)
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Jun 7, 2013

I understand everyone's points, but you guys are forgetting a BIG thing that was stated in one of the interviews, and no I don't want to bother finding it because there are so many of them. 

The AI is very contextual, and operates by a "numbers" basis. Do you have a shotgun? Do you have a pistol? How many enemies are left versus where you are? It's an AI, it doesn't have intelligence. It has contextual based algorithims. They scripted the E3 demo, but those things DO happen in game if the CONTEXTUAL CIRUCUMSTANCES are right for the AI. 

You will not ALWAYS, actually you will probably RARELY, get the AI to REACT to a specific thing that you're doing, such as firing an empty gun and having the AI know that it's empty. Why? Maybe another algorithim is overriding it, such as it knows that there are crafting supplies around you, or that you can build a grenade or something. That's why these things happen infrequently, because it is a contextual based, numbers senstitve AI.

Honestly guys, think about other games and how the AI react. It's already apparent how much different this game feels with its AI. I think some of you are trying to hard to justify why the AI ISN'T doing something rather than justifying why it IS. Why SHOULD the AI attack you if you're empty on ammo? Maybe you just beat the crap out of 3 of its buddies and it knows that it's a 1v1 situation? Maybe it doesn't want to directly attack you out of an angles basis and instead is waiting for one of its buddies to flank? 

Honestly, the only problems that should really be acknowledged are the ones where enemies get stuck, or don't react if you're right on them, etc. It seems like most of you here are completely bashing the contextual circumstances of the AI. I do not think that's fair. Just play the game and don't try to make the AI do what you WANT it to do just because you can. You're actually kind of defeating the purpose of an intelligent AI if you do that, because then it becomes predictable. 

Please use plain text.
Message 105 of 147 (276 Views)
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Jun 7, 2013
The AI communicates, the AI flanks, the AI works together, the AI is pure and simple: Frightening from what I've seen.

That's leaps and bounds ahead of 95% of games right there.
Please use plain text.
Message 106 of 147 (217 Views)
First Son
14 posts

Jun 7, 2013

Rogue_Eagle wrote:

I understand everyone's points, but you guys are forgetting a BIG thing that was stated in one of the interviews, and no I don't want to bother finding it because there are so many of them. 

The AI is very contextual, and operates by a "numbers" basis. Do you have a shotgun? Do you have a pistol? How many enemies are left versus where you are? It's an AI, it doesn't have intelligence. It has contextual based algorithims. They scripted the E3 demo, but those things DO happen in game if the CONTEXTUAL CIRUCUMSTANCES are right for the AI. 

You will not ALWAYS, actually you will probably RARELY, get the AI to REACT to a specific thing that you're doing, such as firing an empty gun and having the AI know that it's empty. Why? Maybe another algorithim is overriding it, such as it knows that there are crafting supplies around you, or that you can build a grenade or something. That's why these things happen infrequently, because it is a contextual based, numbers senstitve AI.

Honestly guys, think about other games and how the AI react. It's already apparent how much different this game feels with its AI. I think some of you are trying to hard to justify why the AI ISN'T doing something rather than justifying why it IS. Why SHOULD the AI attack you if you're empty on ammo? Maybe you just beat the crap out of 3 of its buddies and it knows that it's a 1v1 situation? Maybe it doesn't want to directly attack you out of an angles basis and instead is waiting for one of its buddies to flank? 

Honestly, the only problems that should really be acknowledged are the ones where enemies get stuck, or don't react if you're right on them, etc. It seems like most of you here are completely bashing the contextual circumstances of the AI. I do not think that's fair. Just play the game and don't try to make the AI do what you WANT it to do just because you can. You're actually kind of defeating the purpose of an intelligent AI if you do that, because then it becomes predictable. 

+1

Please use plain text.
Message 107 of 147 (196 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
183 posts

Jun 7, 2013

play survival mode.

Please use plain text.
Message 108 of 147 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

mozzie1 wrote:
Honestly, I don't blame Naughty Dog. From what I've seen the AI still looks very impressive, and it looks as if you'll have to stay alert when fighting humans.
The AI shown in the E3 demo may have been better, but that demo was shown a full year ago now, and they may have had to dumb it down a little since then for practical reasons. It's not as if they've tried to hide it from us, as we've seen plenty of gameplay since E3, giving us a more accurate idea of how the game will play.
It's a little disappointing, but ultimately I'm still massively looking forward to playing the full game next week!

And that's the prime example of what's wrong with the industry today.

You can't even hold ND accountable for their actions.

It doesn't matter if the AI is better than 99.99999% of other games out there, ND lied.

If you knew the AI wasn't going to be that good, you shouldn't have shown it.

ND gave people false expectations .

But whatever, the game I was most excited about, turned out to be the most overated game this generation.

27 10's on Metacritic? LMAO.

Seems like Gamespot's 8 is the most sensible one out there

Please use plain text.
Message 109 of 147 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

wrong account.

Please use plain text.
Message 110 of 147 (247 Views)
0 Likes