Jul 21 2013
By: Pro-x_jamie First Son 25 posts

The Last Of Us Ending Explained

15 replies 1293 views Edited Jul 21, 2013

The ending of The Last Of Us explained. The ending is widely discussed as a "Bad/Sad" Ending truly because Joel was apparently "Un-heroic" and "Selfish" because he Doesn't give up Ellie, His in a sense "Second Daughter", For the cure of MANKIND (Remember that word as we will come back to it) But before you go all Fanboy on me think for a second. Joel had his reasons, Very good reasons. He lost his daughter within the first 5-10 minutes of the game, Joel see's this as MANKIND killing is daughter, MURDERING his daughter. Imagine what losing a daughter would do to you. Then Ellie is dumped on Joel. They begin to mingle, and trust eachother. Then Tess dies. Another very close relationship shattered because of the result of MANKIND. Bringing Joel and Ellie even closer still. Then at the end, when Joel is faced to either save MANKIND or let it die. Well of course he would let it die, After all its done to him? No way would he let it live on. Even if he did, what good would it do him? It could take 100 years to re-populate earth, another 100 to restore civilization. Wouldn't help Joel in the slightest. So he lets it die, His choice. He has the choice. But instead of losing another Very close "Second Daughter" to the cause of MANKIND he lets it die. In my opinion this is the best choice he could have chosen. Live on with Ellie in piece with Tommy. 

Message 1 of 16 (1,293 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
32 posts

Re: The Last Of Us Ending Explained

Jul 21, 2013

Thanks for the 21312798172475286327628568. explanation.

beating a dead horse

Message 2 of 16 (1,279 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
364 posts

Jul 21, 2013

Yep. Don't really need an explanation...

Signature Size for Contest July TLOU photo FINALSARAH_zpse2590fe2.jpg
Message 3 of 16 (1,274 Views)
Splicer
69 posts

Jul 21, 2013

Well, I guess you're right but I don't think it's solely because he is mad at the world.  I think it's because he knows that there is little chance to restore the world even if they have a cure.  

Think about it...

• The Fireflies have only a slight chance of actually creating a cure, but this comes at the cost of killing Ellie.
  • If they do make one though, they have no way to mass produce it.
  • But if they somehow found a way to mass produce it, they have no way of actually getting it out into the world and to get rid the infected.
  • Now if they manage to actually do all of this and get rid of the infected, who's to say we will all come together and re-build society?  People will still kill each other with or without infected around.

So all in all I think you are right, it's just that I think there is more to it.

Message 4 of 16 (1,268 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5100 posts

Jul 21, 2013
I think Naughty Dog took a poll, and the majority of folks said they would have done the same thing that Joel did. I know that I would have.

Message 5 of 16 (1,224 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jul 21, 2013

That GIF if funny as hell!

Message 6 of 16 (1,165 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Jul 22, 2013

Is it just me or does anyone else get a bit of a chuckle over how some posters try to make it look like their thread is meant to be 'official' info only to open it and find out it is just personal opinion number thirty thousand you have seen over the subject. 

Message 7 of 16 (1,115 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
595 posts

Jul 22, 2013

lastcat12345 wrote:

Is it just me or does anyone else get a bit of a chuckle over how some posters try to make it look like their thread is meant to be 'official' info only to open it and find out it is just personal opinion number thirty thousand you have seen over the subject. 

I guess it is after beating the game several times.  I understand the need to vent your feelings of the ending tho.  As soon as I finished it a few weeks ago, I posted my own thread explaining what I thought about the ending.  It was such a good game/ending, people just want to discuss it.

Message 8 of 16 (1,108 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 22, 2013

lastcat12345 wrote:

Yeah, the best part about this game's ending is that it threw a lot of itself up in the air, for the individual player to experience for themselves. There's nothing to "confirm" - only to interpret. I always get a bit Smiley Frustrated when I see those huge debate threads on why opinions are factual. lol.

But with that said, I do agree with OP for the most part.

Message 9 of 16 (1,088 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
97 posts

Jul 22, 2013
Best thing about this ending is that everyone can make up there own ending and meaning to the whole journey.
 photo TLOU1_zpsd19d635d.jpg
Message 10 of 16 (1,017 Views)
0 Likes