Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Splicer
Registered: 01/29/2013
Offline
72 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

[ Edited ]
Feb 14, 2013

you know like in uncharted you can find the precursor orb as the strange treasure.. you should have drakes ring as a treasure and it should be in somewhere wierd and funny



or better yet.. drake & co.being one of the hunters!!!

how awesome would that be?

Drake and Sully with Cutter Chloe and Elena all in their hunter group

i would DIE of happyness.

Message 41 of 59 (316 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/14/2013
Offline
5 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 14, 2013

I mean a start up of a minute (or 30 seconds or 10 seconds. Anything that makes it impossible to just spam the Listen button while running through enemies), so that you can't do it in the heat of battle, you have to do it before entering a room and make predictions as to where the infected or survivors are going to go.

 

I agree that pacing makes sense, but I disagree with "faster pace = better".

 

If I know exactly where all the enemies are with my awesome super human hearing, I'll just go through the game without touching anyone, but if I have to actually listen to my speakers/headphones as to where the enemy is, I think it'll be much more immersive and I'll feel more accomplished if I hear a clicker coming and I suck into a corner, as opposed to see the outline of a clicker and ducking onto a corner.

 

I trust the devs to make a good game but I'd like Listen mode to be optional (Such as on and off in the menu), or unreliable, or very minimal, etc.

Message 42 of 59 (307 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/15/2012
Offline
2562 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 15, 2013

FragrantSkunk wrote:

I mean a start up of a minute (or 30 seconds or 10 seconds. Anything that makes it impossible to just spam the Listen button while running through enemies), so that you can't do it in the heat of battle, you have to do it before entering a room and make predictions as to where the infected or survivors are going to go.

 

I agree that pacing makes sense, but I disagree with "faster pace = better".

 

If I know exactly where all the enemies are with my awesome super human hearing, I'll just go through the game without touching anyone, but if I have to actually listen to my speakers/headphones as to where the enemy is, I think it'll be much more immersive and I'll feel more accomplished if I hear a clicker coming and I suck into a corner, as opposed to see the outline of a clicker and ducking onto a corner.

 

I trust the devs to make a good game but I'd like Listen mode to be optional (Such as on and off in the menu), or unreliable, or very minimal, etc.


I get what you're saying. From this article* though it states that when going into listen mode Joel "holds his breath" - I don't know if that was just the author describing what it looked like or if Joel literally holds his breath while in listen mode. If it's the latter, well, he can't hold his breath forever. That would be a way to balance it. That, plus taking a few seconds to get into position to perform the listen mode (leaving you vulnerable) could be perfect. But since we haven't seen it personally it's hard to tell. Personally I hope that it only lets you know where enemies are while moving, thus you only get a ballpark idea of where they are. So by the time you're out of listen mode they could have moved considerably. 

 

* link http://www.complex.com/video-games/2013/02/hands-on-preview-the-last-of-us-is-bringing-scary-back-na...

 

 

Message 43 of 59 (293 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/14/2013
Offline
5 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 15, 2013
You arise things to my attention I was unaware of, this looks balanced and what you describe would be beautiful. We can only hope they make it as good as this.
Message 44 of 59 (285 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 02/13/2013
Offline
520 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 15, 2013

Yeah.

 

I suppose Joel needs to crouch (a couple of seconds or a ltiny more) and is not able to move while using the skill. I suppose it has a limited range and if enemies are being sneaky (humans may be), you just can't hear them. The two types of infected we've seen so far are easy pray to this skill, however, since they keep making noise, cause they're stupid.

 

And yeah, once you leave listen mode, things may change a lot and you might still get surprised by enemy movement.

 

I'm really not worried about this, partly because I've played Siren 2 and 3 (the games most similar to TLoU, I've played, btw). The listen mode seems like something between the Sight Jack ability of Siren 2 and 3.

 

In 2, it's very slow and you cannot move while using it. It's cool in a hardcore way, but it's also extremely slow, because of some details in how it works and because the game is super focused on stealth (more than TLoU, apparently).

 

In 3, you can move while Sight Jacking, and there are details that make its use faster. It's not as powerful as what would be a Listen Mode while moving (which seems to be the case in the recent Hitman), but... well.

 

I think Listen Mode in the way it was described is just the right thing, really - specially for people with no surround system, but not just for them. I'll probably use it extensively in my first playthrough, though I might refrain from using it in a second playthrough. I'm also kinda hoping its disabled in the hardest difficulty.

Message 45 of 59 (269 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/15/2012
Offline
2562 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 15, 2013

Solid_Altair wrote:

Yeah.

 

I suppose Joel needs to crouch (a couple of seconds or a ltiny more) and is not able to move while using the skill. I suppose it has a limited range and if enemies are being sneaky (humans may be), you just can't hear them. The two types of infected we've seen so far are easy pray to this skill, however, since they keep making noise, cause they're stupid.

 

And yeah, once you leave listen mode, things may change a lot and you might still get surprised by enemy movement.

 

I'm really not worried about this, partly because I've played Siren 2 and 3 (the games most similar to TLoU, I've played, btw). The listen mode seems like something between the Sight Jack ability of Siren 2 and 3.

 

In 2, it's very slow and you cannot move while using it. It's cool in a hardcore way, but it's also extremely slow, because of some details in how it works and because the game is super focused on stealth (more than TLoU, apparently).

 

In 3, you can move while Sight Jacking, and there are details that make its use faster. It's not as powerful as what would be a Listen Mode while moving (which seems to be the case in the recent Hitman), but... well.

 

I think Listen Mode in the way it was described is just the right thing, really - specially for people with no surround system, but not just for them. I'll probably use it extensively in my first playthrough, though I might refrain from using it in a second playthrough. I'm also kinda hoping its disabled in the hardest difficulty.



Hmmm. That article* that Futerama_freak1 posted about Ellie's age also described listen mode as leaving a trail of footsteps in the direction the enemy went. I had never head of that before now. Ah well. I'm not too worried about it either, honestly. At least, I'm not worried about it for single player. If I end up not liking listen mode I can easily just not use it. I'm a lot more worried about it carrying over to multiplayer, however. I hope it doesn't.

 

As for listen mode being deactivated on the hardest difficulty, for sure, I hope there isn't even a HUD on the hardest difficulty, except for maybe a health bar as you suggested earlier. Unless of course they simulate different stages of health with how Joel moves, limps, clitches his wounds ect. That would be really cool.

 

*link http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-the-last-of-us-scared-me-sh-tless-243926.phtml

Message 46 of 59 (237 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 02/14/2013
Offline
5 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 16, 2013

If they went to the trouble to do animations for every movement and cutscene at different levels of injury I'd want them to put it in every difficulty. Even if it was joined with a health bar.

Message 47 of 59 (207 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/15/2012
Offline
2562 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

Feb 16, 2013

FragrantSkunk wrote:

If they went to the trouble to do animations for every movement and cutscene at different levels of injury I'd want them to put it in every difficulty. Even if it was joined with a health bar.


Well, yeah. I'd imagine it would be.

Message 48 of 59 (198 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 02/13/2013
Offline
520 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2013

dh0rmazine wrote:


Hmmm. That article* that Futerama_freak1 posted about Ellie's age also described listen mode as leaving a trail of footsteps in the direction the enemy went. I had never head of that before now. Ah well. I'm not too worried about it either, honestly. At least, I'm not worried about it for single player. If I end up not liking listen mode I can easily just not use it. I'm a lot more worried about it carrying over to multiplayer, however. I hope it doesn't.

 

As for listen mode being deactivated on the hardest difficulty, for sure, I hope there isn't even a HUD on the hardest difficulty, except for maybe a health bar as you suggested earlier. Unless of course they simulate different stages of health with how Joel moves, limps, clitches his wounds ect. That would be really cool.

 

*link http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-the-last-of-us-scared-me-sh-tless-243926.phtml


I wonder if he meant seeing past footfalls (from where he came) or likely future footfalls (where he is going). The first option would probably be less powerful and would us a quicker sense of direction. And thanks for the article, btw. It had probably the most detailed description of the whole 'demo', I've read so far.

 

As for listen mode in MP... well, this might sound strange, but I'd like it. It would encourage people to not run around willy-nilly and being silent, instead, cause there might be someone listening closely. I do think it would be a risky thing to implement, which could easily become OP if not super-fine-tunded... but I think its a promising feature that would actually increase the amount of stealth in multiplayer.

Message 49 of 59 (192 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 06/15/2012
Offline
2562 posts
 

Re: The Last Of Us Official Wishlist Thread

[ Edited ]
Feb 18, 2013

Solid_Altair wrote:

dh0rmazine wrote:


Hmmm. That article* that Futerama_freak1 posted about Ellie's age also described listen mode as leaving a trail of footsteps in the direction the enemy went. I had never head of that before now. Ah well. I'm not too worried about it either, honestly. At least, I'm not worried about it for single player. If I end up not liking listen mode I can easily just not use it. I'm a lot more worried about it carrying over to multiplayer, however. I hope it doesn't.

 

As for listen mode being deactivated on the hardest difficulty, for sure, I hope there isn't even a HUD on the hardest difficulty, except for maybe a health bar as you suggested earlier. Unless of course they simulate different stages of health with how Joel moves, limps, clitches his wounds ect. That would be really cool.

 

*link http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-the-last-of-us-scared-me-sh-tless-243926.phtml


As for listen mode in MP... well, this might sound strange, but I'd like it. It would encourage people to not run around willy-nilly and being silent, instead, cause there might be someone listening closely. I do think it would be a risky thing to implement, which could easily become OP if not super-fine-tunded... but I think its a promising feature that would actually increase the amount of stealth in multiplayer.

You're probably right. I could see listen mode encouraging stealth if done properly in close quarters, like a subway or office building, areas like that. It shouldn't be effective in wide open maps such as forests or city streets. But that's the catch, balancing it properly in a competitive setting (assuming MP is competitive) is what worries me. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Message 50 of 59 (160 Views)
Reply
0 Likes