Splicer
50 posts

Re: The Last of Us and why it should have a direct sequel

Jun 19, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
The ending wasnt a cliffhanger, its a deeper meaning kind of ending. Its meant for players to interpret it themselves. I think ND even said that it was pretty much a closed story package and didnt need a sequel.

There is going to be singleplayer DLC. I can't see ND making DLC to follow another set of characters. 

They'll save that for a sequel.

Message 41 of 82 (619 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
428 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Ozgood23 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:
The ending wasnt a cliffhanger, its a deeper meaning kind of ending. Its meant for players to interpret it themselves. I think ND even said that it was pretty much a closed story package and didnt need a sequel.

There is going to be singleplayer DLC. I can't see ND making DLC to follow another set of characters. 

ND literally said Joel and Ellie chapter is over and they are going to follow another set of characters.

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 42 of 82 (602 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2856 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Cimbom19855 wrote:

Ozgood23 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

ND literally said Joel and Ellie chapter is over and they are going to follow another set of characters.

if they do a sequel it will be different characters they said, and I hope they won't make a sequel, the game was good, but I think it's better to move on to a next project, I don't see why this story needs to be continued with other characters...

Message 43 of 82 (554 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

Cimbom19855 wrote:

Ozgood23 wrote:

luctiger98 wrote:

I saw the quote you are talking about, and it was in context for a sequel, not DLC. It would not make logical sense for them to make DLC following a different storyline.

If they wanted to follow a different set of characters with a new storyline, why not just save that for a full-length sequel?

If they ended the Joel/Ellie storyline now, they wouldn't be doing the characters and plot they created justice. 

EDIT: Here is the quote in question: 

Neil Druckmann, The Last of Us Creative Director - 

""I think the world is ripe for more stories, but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game. We were very conscious that we didn't want to leave this story dangling. If we never do a sequel we're OK with it, because we told the story we needed to tell."

The words that he picked are carefully chosen on purpose. I mean, come on. Its practically in a creative director's job description to be  ambiguous during interviews.

He says: "....but as far as the journey Joel and Ellie goes on it ends with this game." 

What does this actually mean? Does it mean Joel and Ellie's journey for a cure is over - hence starting a new journey? Or does it mean that Joel and Ellie are being "retired" as playable characters in potential sequel?

He also says: "We were very conscious that we didn't want to leave this story dangling."

I found this line kinda funny, considering the story IS dangling right now. Which leaves me to believe he might be referring to another ending. DLC anyone? 

Don't get me wrong, the current ending stands for itself. But I feel like the current ending is blatantly setting up for a continuation. I mean, if they wanted to finish the Joel/Ellie storyline off for good, why didn't they just have Joel and Ellie side by side, walking into the sunset towards Tommy's town(or something equvialent)? I wouldn't even question a DLC continuation, let alone a sequel at that point.

With the current conclusion, the game ends on tension. Should a proper ending leave you with a metric ton of questions in your head? Sometimes. But I feel this isn't the case.

I also accept the possiblility that I am looking way to far into it, and I'm blowing it out of proportion. I am one of many who would like to see a continuation of the Joel/Ellie storyline, because I believe if they threw in all new characters with the same gameplay and mechanics, it wouldn't feel quite right.

I could go on for pages, but I don't feel thats necessary :smileyhappy: .

Message 44 of 82 (491 Views)
Splicer
59 posts

Jun 19, 2013

A sequel without Joel and Ellie is totally worthless IMO, this game IS ABOUT THEIR STORY!

The sequel i would want to see would be right after the current ending (i still want Ellie as a kid, not as a grown up woman).

Maybe Ellie understands that Joel lied to her and she escapes form him, or maybe they find another cure? I don't know, i just want a sequel with Joel and Ellie and i want to find all the emotions i felt in this game, again.

Please ND, you have a great opportunity to further develop this amazing story, don't miss it.

Message 45 of 82 (379 Views)
Sackboy
568 posts

Jun 19, 2013

Neil actually said that was the ending before. Joel lied but she said okay and they walked away to Tommy's town. But they changed it to make her question what he said. And the ending is fine. Yeah, they probably would save new characters for a sequel, but they could always throw in characters in this game, maybe you get to play as Henry and Sam, or Ish, or be with Joel and Tommy right after the outbreak hits.

Message 46 of 82 (341 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 19, 2013

JOSH55886 wrote:

Neil actually said that was the ending before. Joel lied but she said okay and they walked away to Tommy's town. But they changed it to make her question what he said. And the ending is fine. Yeah, they probably would save new characters for a sequel, but they could always throw in characters in this game, maybe you get to play as Henry and Sam, or Ish, or be with Joel and Tommy right after the outbreak hits.

I don't mind playing different characters, as long as Joel and Ellie don't vanish from the gameplay.

Message 47 of 82 (306 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Jul 2, 2013
I think that Naughty Dog could pull of an epic sequel, there is alot that they could do with the game and almost everyone that played this game wants the story to keep going, also think of Bioshock Infinite nobody wanted a sequel to Bioshock 2 and what happened everyone bought it, that small % of people that don't want a sequel OBVIOUSLY DON'T KNOW WHAT NAUGHTY DOG CAN DO (they're capable of making AMAZING games) so I say we should have a sequel atleast The Last of Us 2 !!! :smileyvery-happy: stay awesome Naughty Dog
Message 48 of 82 (197 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
85 posts

Jul 2, 2013

I hope this doesn't have any spoilers, forgive me if it does!

In my opinion, I think ND should make a TLOU 2 taking part directly after the ending of the first TLOU. I think it should be like this:

Ellie and Joel return to Tommy and Marias Town but only to find the place abandoned, filled with corpses of the townsfolk who once lived there, and Tommy and Maria missing. There are little to no infected near by so they search near by to see if there were any bandits or hunters (who were constantly attacking the town) who might have killed them. So Joel and Ellies new journey is to search the country in search for them, and search for the ones who destroyed the town and the people who lived there. While searching for Tommy and Maria, Joel and Ellie find a woman who looks like she could be in her mid-30s, who is badly injured, and a boy a year older than Ellie, who could possibly be her son. Joel wants to ignore them and continue finding Tommy and Maria but Ellie has other ideas planned and some how persuades Joel to help them. The woman seems to be getting worse and eventually passes away. The boy has nowhere to go and Joel lets him join Ellie and himself to find Tommy and Maria. The rest is a mistery because I can't think of anything else right now.

I hope some of you guys like my idea because I am REALLY looking forward to a sequel and I hope they make one with Joel and Ellie. This is the best game I have played in over 3 years!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“The worlds been hard on us…hard on him. Joel’s done some terrible things. He tells me that on this journey, you either hang on to your morals and die, or do whatever it takes to survive.”
— Ellie (The Last of Us)
Message 49 of 82 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Jul 2, 2013

However it may be, I have a personal opinion about The Last of Us - you just can't like some other characters equal to what we've been through with Joel and Ellie. Here is my quote/opinion about it. (below)

"Joel and Ellie are the same to The Last of Us as Nathan Drake and Victor Sullivan are to Uncharted."

Whatever you may think, I believe this is correct at least in my feels.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 50 of 82 (180 Views)
0 Likes