Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 17 2013
By: rickyEfs_97 Hekseville Citizen 391 posts

The Last of Us and why it should have a direct sequel

[ Edited ]
81 replies 2190 views Edited Jun 17, 2013

After the ending of The Last of Us I was left , unsurprisingly, intrigued. What will happen to mankind, and most importantly what will happen to Joel and Ellie?

This game is a masterpiece. I consider this piece of art the pinacle of videogames.

Edit: I forgot. Naughty Dog said that if any sequel were to be made it wouldn't star Joel and Ellie, so if they don't want to screw it up I'd recommend them to not release anything. I am so invested in these characters now that I just can't let a sequel ruin my experience.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 82 (2,190 Views)
Sackboy
548 posts

Re: The Last of Us and why it should have a direct sequel

Jun 17, 2013

I agree, but honestly another interesting one would be what happened the 20 years before The Last of Us, and spoilers after the opening of The Last of Us. There probably wouldn't be as much infected as there is now and buildings wouldn't be in so much ruin with nature taken over.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 82 (2,174 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jun 17, 2013

That should be interesting too, although I wonder what would the objective be. Maybe we fight for a revolution and to make things a little bit different this game could be set in other parts of the US or even the world. I'd love to see a sequel (or prequel) take place in Europe.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 82 (2,167 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Jun 17, 2013
I don't see how a prequel could be as good or better, because it wouldn't have that powerful emotional factor that TLoU had with Joel+Sarah/Ellie.

Even if the sequel doesn't directly follow Joel or Ellie, it should at least reveal to us, through flashback or storyline, what became of the them, the Fireflies, and humanity. The current ending just doesn't answer anything.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 82 (2,160 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jun 17, 2013

Exsilon wrote:
I don't see how a prequel could be as good or better, because it wouldn't have that powerful emotional factor that TLoU had with Joel+Sarah/Ellie.

Even if the sequel doesn't directly follow Joel or Ellie, it should at least reveal to us, through flashback or storyline, what became of the them, the Fireflies, and humanity. The current ending just doesn't answer anything.

The game was about the relationship between Joel and Ellie, not about the Fireflies or the infected, even though they were a big part of the story.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 82 (2,154 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2535 posts

Jun 17, 2013

I can't really see myself getting excited for another game without Joel and Ellie. I was sold on the game originally because of this duo and now even moreso that I've completed the game with them.

I just, I ... I just... bah ND why you gotta make me feel so many feels.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 82 (2,135 Views)
Splicer
40 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 18, 2013
I tried to believe that, ricky, but in the end it just doesn't look like it'll work. Sure, they are far closer than they are in the beginning, but during the epiloque, not only does ****. I understand that it's supposed to be a father-daughter relationship, but it seems a little rickety to me.
Edit: removed spoilers
U--J
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 82 (2,129 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4890 posts

Jun 17, 2013
In response to the thread title...
because it's awesome.
 photo enemy_zpsb0542811.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 82 (2,127 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
872 posts

Jun 17, 2013
I believe there will be a TLOU2 and TLOU3, however with new characters expanding on further morale/ethics and decisions such as TLOU or maybe something entirely different.

Or maybe they indeed continue with Joel and Ellie (as unlikely as I think that is).

Either way:
What I think we all owe ND somewhat is trust.

These guys make nothing short of amazing games and wherever they decide to go, I will be there and support it wholeheartedly.
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 82 (2,120 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2858 posts

Jun 17, 2013

ND never said that other games in TLOU franchise won't star Joel and Ellie all the said was that the JOURNEY they went on is over.  Thus if there are other games it won't be about them trying to find a cure of sorts.  I highly doubt they'll just drop these characters that they did such a good job developing.  IMO Ellie will probably be the main playable character in the next game.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 82 (2,116 Views)