Aug 10 2013
By: AKyemeni Naughty Paw 11218 posts

The Last of Us' flamethrower is powerful because Naughty Dog ran out of time

21 replies 930 views Edited Aug 10, 2013
For the most part, The Last of Us is meticulously balanced to keep resources scarce and build tension. Some of that tension goes away when you find the flamethrower, which toasts zombies with relative ease. Why include such a powerful weapon?

Apparently, Naughty Dog ran out of time."That [flamethrower] was something that went in late," creative director Neil Druckmann told VentureBeat. "It felt right in regards to improvisational weapons in the world, having someone craft a weapon like that and Joel finding it. That felt okay. When we were trying to tune it against the enemies, for the longest time it was underpowered against the enemies, through several playtests. We were running out of time, so at that point we just said, 'All right, let’s make it powerful.' That's what we ended up with."

Druckmann doesn't seem to regret the decision, though, since the reaction has been partly positive. "When you get that weapon, you've been struggling for a long time, and all of a sudden you have this flamethrower. There's a sense of relief for a lot players," he said. "'Finally, I’ve got something I can use.'

But we've heard different kinds of feedback about the flamethrower."

http://www.shacknews.com/article/80587/the-last-of-us-flamethrower-is-powerful-because-naughty-dog?u...

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 1 of 22 (930 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Re: The Last of Us' flamethrower is powerful because Naughty Dog ran out of time

Aug 10, 2013

After what amount of time will ND announce the meta-game in the MP was a last minute decision as well?

Message 2 of 22 (922 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Re: The Last of Us' flamethrower is powerful because Naughty Dog ran out of time

Aug 10, 2013

It's a flamethrower! It should be powerful... I'm certainly glad it isn't any weaker

Message 3 of 22 (921 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 10, 2013

It made that last fight with the infected a piece of cake. 

Lead them all to that one room + Flamethrower = Victory.

@cdub: Why does it matter? Would it make you feel better if they said so? 

IMO, I think it wasn't, fits the survival theme. The MP could survive without it but, I think it's a fun touch.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 4 of 22 (904 Views)
Naughty Paw
11218 posts

Aug 10, 2013
^hehe. "Survive"

I c what you did thar...

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 5 of 22 (895 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Aug 10, 2013

I didn't use the flamethrower until the hospital

I saved all the fuel to satiate my burning desire to torch some fireflies with FIRE

yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 6 of 22 (849 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1747 posts

Aug 10, 2013

Btw, I finally finished the game.

I didn't even notice it being that powerful. Unless you upgrade the flames' reach you could only toast whoever was right in front of you. Or maybe I just didn't try funnel(ing?) all the indected down a narrow hallway.

This months old sig image will remain till the end of days.
Message 7 of 22 (844 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
164 posts

Aug 10, 2013

Naughty Dog is stating that they know it is powerful for single player but I want to know your guy's opinion on if it is OP in multiplayer?

I like to play fair when going against real players and I hate using anything that is overpowered. I like a challenge. I sometimes use my revolver/flamethrower class though and use the flamethrower when somebody rushes me to melee or smoke/shiv me then at the end of a match.. everybody on a mic will start trashtalking it. Is it a cheap weapon to use? or is the horrible when compared to, lets say, the shotgun?

Thanks

Message 8 of 22 (721 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Aug 10, 2013
It's fine if it's in SP but remove it from MP.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 9 of 22 (704 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

Aug 10, 2013

Single-player: Keep it as it is, it's great and fun.

Multiplayer: I don't know, haven't played multiplayer...

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 10 of 22 (701 Views)
0 Likes