Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 02 2014
By: FlamingFox-TjVas First Son 5 posts
Accepted Solution

The Last of Us

14 replies 417 views Edited Jan 2, 2014
There is just a few things I don't understand. I am getting SO many different answers.

First of all, did Ellie know that going through the surgery would kill her?

And, did Joel lie to her or not when he said there are many others like her and they stopped looking for a cure?

I'm just really confused. Heh.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (417 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Re: The Last of Us

Jan 2, 2014

I think ND specifically kept some aspect vague in order to let the individual player make inferences into the story.

My opinion is that yes, Joel lied to Ellie in order to protect her. The story in TLoU is really about Joel and Ellie bonding and eventually Ellie filling the role left by Joel's deceased daughter. Joel begins by viewing Ellie as "cargo" and ends up choosing her life over a potential cure to the fungus that turned almost everyone into mindless zombie-things. 

It's plausible that Ellie has no idea that the surgery would kill her or that she is apparently unique in her resistance to the fungus. In the end she does what she'd been doing for the previous year, places her trust in Joel. 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (408 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
262 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2014

1) No Ellie didn't known she would die from the surgery, thats why she told Joel that he could teach her to swim after it was all over.

2) Yes Joel lied to her when he told her there were more like her dozens in fact, They stopped looking because he killed everyone in the hospital and they were all that was left of the fireflies….LOL

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (406 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
8171 posts

Jan 2, 2014

Sweetbrandigirl wrote:

1) No Ellie didn't known she would die from the surgery, thats why she told Joel that he could teach her to swim after it was all over.

2) Yes Joel lied to her when he told her there were more like her dozens in fact, They stopped looking because he killed everyone in the hospital and they were all that was left of the fireflies….LOL

I think your second point is technically incorrect. At the end of the game Joel is carrying Ellie and is being pursued and shot at by other Fireflies. Joel may have killed a lot of them and even Marlene but he didn't kill all of them.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (401 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
262 posts

Jan 2, 2014
Hey Jag U R Correct I forgot about that.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (393 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 2, 2014
Thanks. That helps.

When I first finished it and he told her those things, I was confused on how he figured that out since no one ever said it to him and there had been no recorder saying so. Then as I was watching others reactions on YouTube, one said he thought it was right of him to lie to her. I was confused all over again.

Anyway. You're reply actually helped me. Thanks. Going with the first thing you said, I'll stick to my own beliefs. Haha.

Thanks again for the reply.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (391 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 2, 2014
He didn't lie to her about there being others. There's a recorder in the hospital that states there were failed attempts to find a cure from others who were immune. He says it even if you didn't find it though.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (380 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 2, 2014
I think I remember finding that recorder. I must have forgot about it. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jan 2, 2014

Whoa, whoa, incorrect!

There are not other immunity cases.  The recorder is merely stating that they have examined other patients who were infected.  Not infected and immune, just infected.  The surgeon specifically states that Ellie's infection is similar to there's, in that the, "antigenic titers of the patient's Cordyceps remain high in both the serum and the cerebrospinal fluid."  He is mentioning this because, despite that Ellie's condition is exactly the same, she is immune.  She is the only one, and he has no idea why.

He even also states that testing her cordyceps on blood cultures causes the infection to only to the point of her immunity, and that MRI testing reveals no evidence of fungal growth.... IN INFECTED PATIENTS.  These are all new things for the surgeon making the recording, as all his other patients were fully infected.

Now, that's not to say that someone else can't be immune out there.  We are given no true information as to why Ellie is immune, and there is nothing that could be special about her that couldn't exist in other people around the world.  What matters is that, as far as the story from Joel and Ellie's perspective is concerned, she is the only immunity case that has been found by the Fireflies.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (354 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jan 2, 2014

Oh, and yes, that also does mean that Joel lied to her about others.  He lied outright, to trick her into not seeking the Fireflies again.  If others have been immune and no cure found, then she could live out her life instead of dying before even becoming an adult.

What matters is the players response and feelings on this lie, and all the other moral dilemmas presented.

I, for one, after observing how the Hunters behaved, the Fireflies behaved, the military behaves.... and how I see people behave every day in real life... say **** humanity.  I'm glad Joel halted the cure's formation.  Our species deserve to die.  (Not to be too depressing about it lol)

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (351 Views)
0 Likes