Reply
Jun 29 2013
By: Solid_Altair Sackboy 520 posts
Offline

The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

[ Edited ]
7 replies 305 views Edited Jun 29, 2013

So... why are there so few? I'm not complaining or anything. I liked how they were implemented in the game. I'd just like to know about what makes them appear in those section... and only in those sections.

 

One possiblity is that they belong to a very short window of the infection, just before a Runner turns into a Clicker.

 

However, I don't think the fact that they only appear in losed, underground places is a coincidence. Maybe the Stalker window becomes enlarged if the fungus is not receiving enough light. In these dark areas, the Cordycep wouldn't get enough nutrition for a full mushroom head. So, the victim would remain a Stalkter for longer / become a true Stalker.

 

And about their behavior. The infected are supposed to be dumb. Why is the Stalker 'sneaky'? Well, perhpas the answer is: it doesn't really have a very sophisticated sense of stealth. They are just a little less noisy than the other infected. And they run around. These are their special behaviours. I think these are plausible... certainly not too sophisticated.

 

Whaddya guys think?

Message 1 of 8 (305 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 04/14/2013
Offline
671 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

Jun 29, 2013

I think that Stalkers(which I thought were gonna be scary with a name like that) were Runners transitioning to Clickers. BTW, fungas grows better in the dark.

 

Back on topic, maybe they are found in darker areas with less food sources? They are always in areas with lots of water and little to no light.


Message 2 of 8 (298 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 06/24/2013
Offline
866 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

Jun 29, 2013

 

Stalkers were a neat concept. I hated how they just appeared in that abandoned hotel when you pick up that keycard though. I thought they could've been implemented a little better.

Message 3 of 8 (281 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/01/2011
Offline
147 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

Jun 29, 2013

cdub420-- wrote:

 

Stalkers were a neat concept. I hated how they just appeared in that abandoned hotel when you pick up that keycard though. I thought they could've been implemented a little better.


I think those in the sewers when you are with Sam were mostly stalkers, the place you mentioned and the sewers were the only places you encounter them (I think) and they kinda reminded of the raptor necromorphs from dead space, then again way less deadly, since they just ran around like crazy and charged you if you got close enough. Don't remember stealth killing any tho.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 8 (267 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 02/13/2013
Offline
520 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

Jun 29, 2013

FUIVT0PLAY wrote:

I think that Stalkers(which I thought were gonna be scary with a name like that) were Runners transitioning to Clickers. BTW, fungas grows better in the dark.

 

Back on topic, maybe they are found in darker areas with less food sources? They are always in areas with lots of water and little to no light.


Oh, yeah! I totally forgot that. lol

Message 5 of 8 (219 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 05/01/2013
Offline
769 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

[ Edited ]
Jun 29, 2013

Fungus does not grow better in the dark. It prefers a 12 hour light cycle, just like most living things. 12 hours of light, 12 hours of darkness. Fungus starts with mycelium which eventually grows fruit, or mushrooms. Just like a plant.

 

That being said, unlike a plant, fungus CAN grow in complete darkness, but it definitely doesn't benefit from it. It'll take longer to fruit.

sig.png

Message 6 of 8 (213 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 12/01/2011
Offline
147 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

Jun 30, 2013

PsiloCube wrote:

Fungus does not grow better in the dark. It prefers a 12 hour light cycle, just like most living things. 12 hours of light, 12 hours of darkness. Fungus starts with mycelium which eventually grows fruit, or mushrooms. Just like a plant.

 

That being said, unlike a plant, fungus CAN grow in complete darkness, but it definitely doesn't benefit from it. It'll take longer to fruit.


While that may be true, all of the bloaters we encounter are in the places almost without light if not totally dark(closed room in the school, hotel basement, spore-full lower section of dorms, underground tunnel), which is interesting when you think about it Smiley Tongue

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 7 of 8 (203 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 05/24/2013
Offline
88 posts
 

Re: The 'Logic' of Stalkers (Minor Spoilers)

Jun 30, 2013
Yea they are only in 2 areas in the game, I suspect the cordyceps will have an affect on the body after stage 1 which will force them to use other ways of hunting down pray, in a way the cordyceps mutates and makes the infected much smarter and slightly faster then stage 1 runners. Tricky little things though, they are hard so they give you little chance to run away.
Message 8 of 8 (193 Views)
Reply
0 Likes