Feb 04 2013
By: EDSTA713 I Only Post Everything 869 posts

The Stages Of Infection: What We Know (SPOILERS)

[ Edited ]
20 replies 2738 views Edited Jun 4, 2013

STAGES OF INFECTION

1.jpg2.jpg                   

The Runners: Stage 1 Infection

They are very fast and attack in packs. Neil Druckmann states ""They can still see, and they still have a sense of humanity. They almost know consciously what they're doing, but they can't control themselves. "They run fast, they can take you down, and they work in packs." They don't pose too much of a threat by themselves but it's a different story if confronted by many. 

They can still see you so it's best to avoid their line of sight. Turning off your flashlight around them will help. These are more like the Infected from 28 Days Later. 

1.jpg

Stalker: Stage 2 Infection

They also seem to be as fast, if not faster than the Runners. They try and flank you from different angles. If you see one running away from you or not at you, turn around and watch your back since they will end up going around to ambush you. 

2.jpg

The Clickers: Stage 3 Infection

These are the same types as the ones seen in the VGA 2011 debut trailer. "As the fungus spreads, it takes over more and more of the biology of the human. It grows out of the eye sockets, and it makes you go blind. This is a fate worse than death," Druckmann explained. "You're still alive, but you have to suffer through this pain."

"They're called clickers because they use echolocation. They scan the environment using sound waves… if there's any movement detected, they're on you," Druckmann described. "They might be a little slower, but when they're on you, they're going to be rabid. When they touch you, you're gone." 

The Clickers are blind and cannot see you so it's best to distract them by throwing bottles and sneaking past them. You can use a Shiv to easily sneak up on them for an instant silent kill. Taking them out one by one will be easier but it's best to avoid them when necessary.

3.jpg

Bloater: Stage 4 Infection 

The big guy resembles this other one shown off in the first Development Series 1. The Bloater looks like a Clicker that has much more fungus over their body. It releases spores into the air so be careful not to get too close. These guys seem harder to take down as in the gameplay video I saw it took 2 molotovs to bring one down. 

original.jpgUntitled.jpg

Eventually, the fungus takes over the body completely. In the gameplay demo that was recently played, "a body was grafted onto the wall, as the bulbs outstretched beyond the body" said a previewer. This could potentially be stage 4 but it is yet to be proven. 

4.jpg

From Kotaku, 

"Before leaving Druckmann, I ask if there's anything beyond the Clickers, a level of infection even more terrifying than Stage 3. Like a man who takes a bit too much pleasure in scaring the pants off people, he shoots me a sly look and says "Yeah, there's more stuff...oh yeah."

So we can expect a stage 4, 5, 6, etc infection? I'm pretty sure the picture above will be the last stage. I mean c'mon there's no way they can pose a threat besides releasing the spores in the air. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 1 of 21 (2,738 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Re: The Stages Of Infection: What We Know (SPOILERS)

Feb 4, 2013

I guess the final stage is like the final picture, but alive, just like the suicider in Dead Island, but with fungi instead, it would release spores into the air so you definitely need to use a gas mask or you'll be dead.

UC3 FraggedNation Clan: >JV<
Message 2 of 21 (2,722 Views)
Wastelander
624 posts

Feb 5, 2013

@Darkai34 - That's actually a really believable statement. Perhaps gameplay segments will be reserved for a mechanic such as this. Maybe getting into combat in a spore infested area the Hunters (or whatever else we encounter e.g. military) might aim for your gas mask with their attacks attempting to crack it open or shatter the eye sockets.

Message 3 of 21 (2,621 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
869 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Darkai34 wrote:

I guess the final stage is like the final picture, but alive, just like the suicider in Dead Island, but with fungi instead, it would release spores into the air so you definitely need to use a gas mask or you'll be dead.

What does a suicider from Dead Island do?

Message 4 of 21 (2,618 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
307 posts

Feb 5, 2013

EDSTA713 wrote:

Darkai34 wrote:

Just looks like the guy in the final picture, gameplay wise he explodes on contact or something lol

UC3 FraggedNation Clan: >JV<
Message 5 of 21 (2,615 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1027 posts

Feb 5, 2013

Darkai34 wrote:

EDSTA713 wrote:

Darkai34 wrote:

Just looks like the guy in the final picture, gameplay wise he explodes on contact or something lol

...Not really, the thing in that pic looks rooted to the wall/ground, Suiciders in DI walk around.

Suicider

Message 6 of 21 (2,551 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Feb 5, 2013

I think that last picture could the final stage depends on how many stages are we talking about and they are either dead already or they could explode, die and kill you with them.

Message 7 of 21 (2,538 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
869 posts

Feb 6, 2013

Anyone remember the movie Creepshow? The episode  "The Lonesome Death of Jordy Verrill"? The meteorite turns him into a fungus like human. Reminds me of TLOU in a way. lol The ending reminds me of the infection after it takes over the whole body.

Message 8 of 21 (2,496 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
54 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

DON'T READ THIS IF U DON'T WANT TO HAVE AN IDEA OF THE LATER INFECTION STAGES..SPOILER ALERT

No mate I believe u r wrong..the final stage will be something like the fat gas monster from RE6 ..why u say ?? well according to this interview (toward it end) he says something of Joel needing a gas mask against  the latter stages of infections :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mBZzvGxJk

and here is the image of the fat SOp from RE6fat zombie.jpg

http://i1330.photobucket.com/albums/w580/moesoulman/dark_zps855e1df8.gif
Message 9 of 21 (2,465 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
869 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 6, 2013

yabaa wrote:

DON'T READ THIS IF U DON'T WANT TO HAVE AN IDEA OF THE LATER INFECTION STAGES..SPOILER ALERT

No mate I believe u r wrong..the final stage will be something like the fat gas monster from RE6 ..why u say ?? well according to this interview (toward it end) he says something of Joel needing a gas mask against  the latter stages of infections :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mBZzvGxJk

and here is the image of the fat SOp from RE6fat zombie.jpg

The stages of infection I posted is what they have told us already (with the exception of Stage 2). We assume that the last pic is the last stage of infection since the victim doesn't seem to be able to move anymore and is completely covered in fungus. Whether or not it is, we don't know.  That doesn't mean that this is all the infection stages. When new info regarding the other stages of infection are released and confirmed, I will update the thread. 

Message 10 of 21 (2,449 Views)
0 Likes