Lombax Warrior
95 posts

Re: The difference between Linear games and Open World games...

Jul 11, 2013

lastcat12345 wrote:

Elder Scrolls has some of the best open world games out there on the market and although the stories in them are interesting and keep you engaged they are not very deep. Elder Scrolls pretty just relies on a questing system instead of a traditional storytelling method. Most of the quests are not connected to each other in anyway

I agree, you may have a choice of whether or not you wanna save some people but the outcome is never really rewarding at all, you just get some kind of item and then you maybe get a scene where some of them thank you and that's it. 

In The Last of Us the story has significantly more detail and the progression is more in depth and overall more satisfying to the player.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 13 (110 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
85 posts

Jul 12, 2013

I understand what you're saying and I agree that TLoU won't be dismissed as quickly as many if not most other linear games, chiefly because of it's strong story line.  It won't be forgotten in the same way a good movie like, for instance, I Am Legend, hasn't been forgotten.  I agree with that.  My point, rather, refers to replayability. 

How many times will we watch a movie that we've watched before?  That we know all the details too, we know the punchlines, we know the ending?  Yes, there are a few movies we'll watch several times because we love the premise (Logan's Run is mine). but still once we've seen it, and with the huge slew of new movies coming out all the time, eventually the movie begins to feel like, generally, a re-run.  It's the same with unidirectional games.  Once the game becomes familiar, once it becomes repetitive, we move on.

As an example of an open world game that continues to hold my interest on those occasions I can spend time playing a game, I like Fallout 3.  It's BIG, it has a multitude of storylines, and it can be approached from any direction.  So outcomes on any individual play are variable.  Same with Farcry 2.  Those games keep my interest because they're never exactly the same game twice.

Yes, I liked The Last of Us, I think the story is probably the best of any video game (though having played so few games, I can't really say), I liked the characters and the beautiful setting, but I'm there now. I finished the game.  That's why I like open world games.  I bought Fallout 3 in 2008 and I still enjoy it.  That a great return on my investment.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 13 (79 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Wanderearth wrote:

I understand what you're saying and I agree that TLoU won't be dismissed as quickly as many if not most other linear games, chiefly because of it's strong story line.  It won't be forgotten in the same way a good movie like, for instance, I Am Legend, hasn't been forgotten.  I agree with that.  My point, rather, refers to replayability. 

How many times will we watch a movie that we've watched before?  That we know all the details too, we know the punchlines, we know the ending?  Yes, there are a few movies we'll watch several times because we love the premise (Logan's Run is mine). but still once we've seen it, and with the huge slew of new movies coming out all the time, eventually the movie begins to feel like, generally, a re-run.  It's the same with unidirectional games.  Once the game becomes familiar, once it becomes repetitive, we move on.

As an example of an open world game that continues to hold my interest on those occasions I can spend time playing a game, I like Fallout 3.  It's BIG, it has a multitude of storylines, and it can be approached from any direction.  So outcomes on any individual play are variable.  Same with Farcry 2.  Those games keep my interest because they're never exactly the same game twice.

Yes, I liked The Last of Us, I think the story is probably the best of any video game (though having played so few games, I can't really say), I liked the characters and the beautiful setting, but I'm there now. I finished the game.  That's why I like open world games.  I bought Fallout 3 in 2008 and I still enjoy it.  That a great return on my investment.

That's just your point of view though. Other people will feel differently. Lots of people do watch movies more than once if they think it is good and as far as TLOU's replayability a lot of people will replay it again because the story is so good. Don't assume that just because you don't watch movies more than once or replay a game because you enjoy the story that that means nobody else will want to.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 13 (57 Views)
0 Likes