Jul 10 2013
By: Wanderearth Lombax Warrior 85 posts

The difference between Linear games and Open World games...

[ Edited ]
12 replies 590 views Edited Jul 10, 2013

While the differences may seem obvious at first, Linear and Open World games are vastly separate concepts.  Other than controlling a character in an environment, the premise behind every game, the differences are huge. 

Linear games, like The Last of Us, are heavily story driven and usually composed of a series of challenges the player must overcome or figure out before he or she is allow to proceed.  Therefore the player must follow the path layed out by the game's developers if he wants to continue to THE END.  Choice is very limited, the path is narrow and outcome always the same.  Thus, linear games are basically intelligence and manual dexterity tests set in a world the player can navigate.

Open World games are less story driven (though a basic story usually unlies them) and are far more free roaming and choice driven.  As such, open world games can be much more realistic (depending on the storyline) and because the player can approach the game from any direction and move the game forward based on his or her choices, these games have a far longer shelf life.

I point this out only because, as good as TLoU is, most linear games tend to be forgotten soon after being completed while open world games are still being played.  In the interests of economy (I mean the reatively high cost of video games) I do hope ND as well as other developers might consider making their games more Open in the future.  Just a thought.

Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 13 (590 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: The difference between Linear games and Open World games...

Jul 10, 2013
forgotten? Poor choice of words, my friend.
-----------
Message 2 of 13 (543 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jul 10, 2013

FORGOTTEN!?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I forget most of the stuff I do in open world games. Games like The Last of Us will ALWAYS stick with me. Open world games are more like "oh hey, that was fun. Now what?" You don't get as emotionally invested into the characters. People like to use RDR to counter this but still. After the entire duration of the game, I was still not as emotionally attached to Marston as the characters in "linear" games.

When all have fallen, rise above the ashes.
Message 3 of 13 (538 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5742 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

I'd have to disagree. my most loved games have always been linear games. While I do enjoy open world, I find that stories, characters, and moments are far less memorable than a focused linear game.
I can understand where you are coming from as far as replayability, but games like God of War 3,
the Uncharteds, Metal Gear Solid 4, Demon's Souls, etc. I've played half a dozen times over. I'll be putting the same number of replays into the Last of Us. and the multiplayer is actually quite good and adds to the replay value for those who aren't wanting to replay the campaign.

for all the critical acclaim that the last of us has received I don't see how it could possibly be forgotten anytime soon.

Message 4 of 13 (531 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Jul 11, 2013

He never said Last of Us would be forgotten. He said MOST linear games are forgotten. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Change is the law of life. And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future.

- John F. Kennedy
Message 5 of 13 (475 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5742 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Well, I'm sort of assuming, by the statement, that he is afraid tlou will be forgotten because it's a linear game. The previous 2 posters took it that way also.

Message 6 of 13 (469 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
91 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013
If I want open world games I turn to Bethesda. Games like the Last of Us wouldn't work as well as open world games. Keep in mind that open world games usually come with a ludicrous amount of bugs. If the Last of Us were open world, I feel the amount of threads on the technical issues board would be up one thousand percent.
Message 7 of 13 (463 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
187 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Elder Scrolls has some of the best open world games out there on the market and although the stories in them are interesting and keep you engaged they are not very deep. Elder Scrolls pretty just relies on a questing system instead of a traditional storytelling method. Most of the quests are not connected to each other in anyway

Message 8 of 13 (446 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jul 11, 2013

And that is what's beautiful about videogames, the variety. You've got to understand my friend, that a game like The Last of Us wouldn't fit in the open world genre and that Naughty Dog has specialized, since Uncharted, in making very fun linear games. And to give you an example of how TLOU will not be forgotten I'll tell you that I'm completing the game for a 5th time. Not many games have the power to do that, not even Red Dead Redemption.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 9 of 13 (430 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Jul 11, 2013

I much prefer linear games over open world games.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 10 of 13 (373 Views)