Apr 03 2013
By: themarcshark223 Hekseville Citizen 392 posts

The last of us UNORIGINAL?

18 replies 1697 views Edited Apr 3, 2013
The last of us is by far my most anticipated game. From the second I watched the first teaser trailer where it was just a man talking with real life footage I was excited. Then when I found out naughty dog was doing it my hype went through the roof. The last of us is the game I have always dreamed of. Seriously. I have always wanted a post apocalyptic game that has a serious tone and deep characters and realistic, visceral game play. And this game looks like it is going to be just that. But I'm afraid a lot of people won't appreciate it. I'm afraid people will call it a walking dead rip off or an I am legend rip off. I feel like people won't appreciate it just because zombies and post apocalyptic games are so popular right now. But this one is special. I know it doesn't matter what other people think but still.

What do you all think? Is the last of us unoriginal?
Message 1 of 19 (1,697 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3484 posts

Re: The last of us UNORIGINAL?

Apr 3, 2013

themarcshark223 wrote:
The last of us is by far my most anticipated game. From the second I watched the first teaser trailer where it was just a man talking with real life footage I was excited. Then when I found out naughty dog was doing it my hype went through the roof. The last of us is the game I have always dreamed of. Seriously. I have always wanted a post apocalyptic game that has a serious tone and deep characters and realistic, visceral game play. And this game looks like it is going to be just that. But I'm afraid a lot of people won't appreciate it. I'm afraid people will call it a walking dead rip off or an I am legend rip off. I feel like people won't appreciate it just because zombies and post apocalyptic games are so popular right now. But this one is special. I know it doesn't matter what other people think but still.

What do you all think? Is the last of us unoriginal?

as long as you like it it's fine, don't care about what other people think of it, you know better Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 19 (1,637 Views)
Splicer
68 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Well naughty dog did create a different take on the "infected" which was inspired by a real life fungus that can take control of ants. The Walking Dead: The Game just based their type as the more traditional zombie. I give kudos to Naughty Dog for creating a new zombie. I also give The Last of Us bonus points for the graphics.

Message 3 of 19 (1,467 Views)
Splicer
66 posts

Apr 3, 2013

I love the survival horror genre, especially those that focus on the survival part, I am also a Walking Dead fan.  I am not a big fan of zombies tho. I like how the Walking Dead (comics and show) focus on characters and drama and not just killing zombies. TLOU looks character and story driven with a cool take/spin on the zombie genre (and really cool graphics and gameplay) and it is because of those qualities I am anticipating the game and I think is original. Resident Evil and unfortunately Dead Space now have the shoot em up horror genre down so it is nice to see a game like this coming out.

Raptr Gamercard
Message 4 of 19 (1,339 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Apr 3, 2013

Being in an apocolyptic genre it's going to get flak like that.  

It may not be the most original concept but, it's going to have a great cast of characters (Joel, Bill, Tess, Ellie) and an awesome story. So, regardless of some hate the game may or may not receive, it's still going to be awesome.  

I'm with Mathjis, as long as you like it who cares.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 5 of 19 (1,031 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5545 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2013
There have already been several thread here in which people have slated it as being unoriginal. Sadly that's always going to be the case when a certain genre gets popular, because there's so much to compare it to.

In ND's defence, they did start production on this game just when the zombie boom was beginning, which means they must have had the idea way before the genre got so popular.
Message 6 of 19 (766 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 3, 2013

Somewhere, at some point down the line, this story has probably been done in a film or in a game.

But like others have said, it's the characters & the gameplay that's going to set this game apart.

But, yea, at this day in age...almost everything has already been done. It's just a matter of who can do it better

Message 7 of 19 (666 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Apr 3, 2013

IMO it's not about how many directors/designers have done the idea before, its how many have done it right before. As far as video games go that number is small and I think TLoU will be a breath of fresh air.

Message 8 of 19 (595 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Apr 3, 2013
TLoU is probably a way for ND to get money to make U4 for the PS4. Smiley Wink
Message 9 of 19 (544 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts