Hekseville Citizen
343 posts

Re: The one big flaw in this game that killed the illusion for me.

Jun 21, 2013

Agreed. Imagine if everytime Bill et al came gallopping on by in their size 10s they allerted a clicker. The game would be virtually unplayable. I think they did the only thing they really could in the circumstances.

Message 11 of 73 (229 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Jun 21, 2013

This is what I try to do, given the friendly ai moves around too much. I park behind a table and stay there, just let the enemy ai come to me, so I then go around the table slowly, Ellie follows without darting out in front of the enemy ai

Its a little of how you play too, but yeah, the issue is a bummer

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 12 of 73 (221 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1807 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Lol I have had the AI react once and almost got **bleep** off. I was sneaking past a Clicker and ellie though it would be fun just to shoot it without it being alerted. Another thing is AI moves to much, Bill makes so much noise walking imagine how many times you would die by Clickers.

Message 13 of 73 (215 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1407 posts

Jun 21, 2013

You know this really isnt a big issue to me.  Unlike other gamers I apparently understand the limits we currently have for AI.  This game has the absolutely best ally AI i have ever seen in any game and yet we all see them do stupid things sometimes.  If you had to order your ppl around (IE they dont move on their own) then most of the game would consist of hiding your allies at the beginning of an area.....then moving out to silently clear the entire area...then going back to collect your AI....how immersive would that be huh?  Having to go through an area without Ellie there to assist you or even to talk to you about it?  The fact that they made the AI so good that you would not be able to distinguish between them and a mediocre player is amazing in its own right. 

Message 14 of 73 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
75 posts

Jun 21, 2013

ND made it that way because they didn't want people to get frustrated at Ellie or any other people on your side that may give your position away. 

It's unrealistic, obviously. But I'm kind of glad because I prefer to be stealthy, and if Ellie or Bill, Henry, Sam, etc, gave my position away.. it would probably make me pretty frustrated. 

Message 15 of 73 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I don't mind it at all. I would rather have the enemy ignore friendly AI than have my cover blown.
Message 16 of 73 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4292 posts

Jun 21, 2013
Message 17 of 73 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
594 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I think it gets to a point where ND had to choose between understandably broken immersion or completely broken gameplay.

And obviously they didnt pick the latter
Message 18 of 73 (170 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Jun 21, 2013

This annoyed me too, and it was a bit embarrasing because my brother was watching me play and was mesmorized by how immersive the game was, but when he saw that it totally broke the immersion for him too.

Especially after you meet up with Bill. When that man runs it sounds rediculously loud.

I understand that it would be completely broken if the AI could get spotted, but couldn't ND just make it so that they can't get spotted (like it is now) but then also just have an algorithm that says they won't go within like, 10 ft of an enemy in most circumstances (unless it's a narrow hallway) and also just change their AI so that they can't sprint-crouch. If they could only crouch walk at the same speed as Joel it'd be a lot more believable since when they sprint while crouching I can only assume they're loud as shiz.

Message 19 of 73 (163 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
671 posts

Jun 21, 2013

semper_fi_1999 wrote:

You know this really isnt a big issue to me.  Unlike other gamers I apparently understand the limits we currently have for AI.  This game has the absolutely best ally AI i have ever seen in any game and yet we all see them do stupid things sometimes.  If you had to order your ppl around (IE they dont move on their own) then most of the game would consist of hiding your allies at the beginning of an area.....then moving out to silently clear the entire area...then going back to collect your AI....how immersive would that be huh?  Having to go through an area without Ellie there to assist you or even to talk to you about it?  The fact that they made the AI so good that you would not be able to distinguish between them and a mediocre player is amazing in its own right. 

The BEST? Ever heard of Star Wars Republic Commando? I think that had the best AI I've seen in a game in....well, a long time. I think the AI is fine in TLOU, though. I wish it were open world and the AI really helped you survive. I think if it was like that, more people would be happier with the AI. Sometimes I find the area they are in is just a little small.

Message 20 of 73 (147 Views)
0 Likes