Sep 05 2012
By: calcunnon Treasure Hunter 5302 posts

The "Please do NOT..." competitive multiplayer thread

[ Edited ]
98 replies 1600 views Edited Jan 20, 2013

It's not been confirmed that ND will be making a competitive multiplayer (but multiplayer itself has been confirmed). They recently said that they're just at the ideas stage and haven't begun work on it yet.

Personally, I think co-op is the way to go with The Last of Us, but I'm also really excited at the prospect of a brand new competitive multiplayer experience. With this in mind, I feel there are certain things Naughty Dog should avoid doing.

Without further ado:

1. Please DO NOT have plenty of ammo. Guns should be scarce in a world that has stopped producing them.

2. Please DO NOT encourage mindless running around. In most multiplayers you pretty much just run around shooting everything that moves. The Last of us seems like it should be more about patience and picking your moments.

3.Please DO NOT have any unrealistic features like power-ups (for example, boosters and kickbacks). The single-player is achieving a realistic feel, and I think the multiplayer should stay realistic too.

4. Please DO NOT have respawning. One life per round is much more tense, and strengthens the point I made in number (2).

5. Please DO NOT encourage selfish play styles. Reward people for teamwork, not playing to grind up their own stats. For example, if someone throws a brick at an enemy to stun them, and then their team mate finishes them off, give both players the same reward. Team work is how post-apocalyptic groups survive, just read any novel about it :smileyhappy:

6. Please DO NOT have any sort of lock-on for shooting. Whether hipfiring, blindfiring or aiming, there shouldn't be any lock-on.

7. Please DO NOT have any ridiculous power weapons. The game shouldn't be an all-out shoot-em-up with tonnes of explosions. 'Power" weapons should perhaps be shotguns or great assault rifles.

8. Please DO NOT introduce any microtransactions. That's just tedious.

9. Please DO NOT include player arrows/names.People's location certainly should not be given away by a huge red name above their head. Ridiculous.

10. Please DO NOT add silly taunts. That'll just cheapen the games atmosphere. Perhaps just verbal taunts would be better.

11. Please DO NOT include personal stats. It just causes too much quitting if people see their KDR dropping.

12. Please DO NOT implement loadouts. Scavenging for weapons and supplies should definitely be part of the game's experience.

13. Please DO NOT make the characters impervious to fall damage. If you fall from a fair height, you should get hurt. If you fall from a great height, you should die.

14. Please DO NOT give the ability to climb really fast with super parkour skills. That's just out of the realms of realism as far as TLoU seems to be heading. And with this, please DO NOT make maps which require a lot of climbing.

15. Please DO NOT have some sort of quick-grenade-drop function (like Uncharted 3's roll+grenade) because nobody would ever drop a grenade at their own feet and run away.

16. Whilst we're at it, please DO NOT have a roll function. Nobody actually rolls around during a gunfight.

17. Please DO NOT make our characters simply punch and stand there like a retarded f*** after showing us a stealth icon. Why tell us we are able to get a stealth kill, only to then have us get stuck where we are and then get killed because of it? No thanks.

ND are the creative game designers so that's why I haven't suggested how an entire game mode should work. I think as long as they avoid going down certain paths, it'll be great.

Anyone else got anything they think ND should avoid doing?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 99 (1,600 Views)
Survivor
2480 posts

Re: The "Please do NOT..." competitive multiplayer thread

[ Edited ]
Sep 7, 2012

calcunnon wrote:
It's not been confirmed that ND will be making a competitive multiplayer (but multiplayer itself has been confirmed). They recently said that they're just at the ideas stage and haven't begun work on it yet.

Personally, I think co-op is the way to go with The Last of Us, but I'm also really excited at the prospect of a brand new competitive multiplayer experience. With this in mind, I feel there are certain things Naughty Dog should avoid doing.

Please DO NOT:

1. Have plenty of ammo. Guns should be scarce in a world that has stopped producing them.

2. Encourage mindless running around. In most multiplayers you pretty much just run around shooting everything that moves. The Last of us seems like it should be more about patience and picking your moments.

3. Have any unrealistic features like power-ups (for example, boosters and kickbacks). The single-player is achieving a realistic feel, and I think the multiplayer should stay realistic too.

4. Have respawning. One life per round is much more tense, and strengthens the point I made in number (2).

5. Encourage selfish play styles. Reward people for teamwork, not playing to grind up their own stats. For example, if someone throws a brick at an enemy to stun them, and then their team mate finishes them off, give both players the same reward. Team work is how post-apocalyptic groups survive, just read any novel about it :smileyhappy:

ND are the creative game designers so that's why I haven't suggested how an entire game mode should work. I think as long as they avoid going down certain paths, it'll be great.

Anyone else got anything they think ND should avoid doing?

This should be a mode for itself like Elimination. No respawning for all modes would really suck.

I agree with all the other things, though.

6) My two cents is that there should be *EDIT* NO BLINDFIRE LOCK-ON. AT ALL! There should be blindfire/hipfire/the ability to shoot your gun while running, but NO lock-on. We don't want this to be a blindfiring hell.

7) Oh and no ridiculous power weapons. Maybe a shotgun or something rational, like a powerful revolver, but no rocket launcher or something like that.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 99 (1,595 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5302 posts

Sep 5, 2012
By blindfire I take it you mean auto-locking? Because the ability to shoot whilst moving should be allowed as long as the game doesn't auto-lock-on to the opponent like in U3, in my opinion.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 99 (1,589 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5302 posts

Sep 5, 2012
But hopefully bullets will be scarce enough that people wouldn't want to risk missing via hipfiring anyway.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 99 (1,576 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
349 posts

Sep 5, 2012

5. Encourage selfish play styles. Reward people for teamwork, not playing to grind up their own stats.

YES! Finally, a game where teamwork is the way to win. Please, ND, make this a team game where players need to work together.

Youtube channel: harrisj1616
Twitch: harrisj16
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 99 (1,569 Views)
Wastelander
746 posts

Sep 5, 2012
I agree with everything.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 99 (1,556 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4068 posts

Sep 5, 2012
Have they confirmed a Competitive mutiplayer yet?
-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 99 (1,543 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Sep 5, 2012

iceyfire54312 wrote:

Well, no but they have confirmed multiplayer. First they said "some sort of online component". Now it's multiplayer.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 99 (1,542 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4068 posts

Sep 5, 2012

stentryk wrote:

iceyfire54312 wrote:

Well, no but they have confirmed multiplayer. First they said "some sort of online component". Now it's multiplayer.

hum then I still think it will be something like mass effect 3. I can't see this game begging a Competitive mutiplayer. But that's just me, im just happy to see it will have some replay value. 

-------------------
Iceyfire's youtube
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 99 (1,540 Views)
Fender Bender
2489 posts

Sep 5, 2012

Microtransactions and Survival Masters Club unless they can make the majority of the DLC actually worth it this time around.

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/b/b9/Garfreakeld.png

I luv kitty cats cuz they're very furry n cute. meow!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 99 (1,517 Views)
0 Likes