It's not been confirmed that ND will be making a competitive multiplayer (but multiplayer itself has been confirmed). They recently said that they're just at the ideas stage and haven't begun work on it yet.
Personally, I think co-op is the way to go with The Last of Us, but I'm also really excited at the prospect of a brand new competitive multiplayer experience. With this in mind, I feel there are certain things Naughty Dog should avoid doing.
Please DO NOT:
1. Have plenty of ammo. Guns should be scarce in a world that has stopped producing them.
2. Encourage mindless running around. In most multiplayers you pretty much just run around shooting everything that moves. The Last of us seems like it should be more about patience and picking your moments.
3. Have any unrealistic features like power-ups (for example, boosters and kickbacks). The single-player is achieving a realistic feel, and I think the multiplayer should stay realistic too.
4. Have respawning. One life per round is much more tense, and strengthens the point I made in number (2).
5. Encourage selfish play styles. Reward people for teamwork, not playing to grind up their own stats. For example, if someone throws a brick at an enemy to stun them, and then their team mate finishes them off, give both players the same reward. Team work is how post-apocalyptic groups survive, just read any novel about it
ND are the creative game designers so that's why I haven't suggested how an entire game mode should work. I think as long as they avoid going down certain paths, it'll be great.
Anyone else got anything they think ND should avoid doing?
My problem with #2 is that it might make the game very slow paced. A lot of people don't like slow paced MP game, that's the reason why i think COD triumphs over BF3 (im a BF3 player btw.) BF3 is not a slow game but CODs pace is just faster.
With #3.. Same reason as #2 and one spawn per round will definitely make you "play less" per round. Especially if you are a average(like me) or less skilled than most because you will waste most of your time waiting for the round to finish to play again. And just like what the other posters said, just make it a separate game mode. A standard TDM with this is a no for me.
#5 This is good. But don't make it too much teamwork oriented, some just want things to do their own (again like cod vs Bf3) way and communication will be difficult. I say a little cooperation needed is good (not too complicated.. and the other player can "get" what you want to do w/o speaking), but if too much cooperation/communication is required people will be turned off by this.
And please DO NOT:
1. im sure ND knows this already lol. Do not have a very symmetrical maps for MP. I don't know why but for some reason i just prefer maps that are unsymmetrical. And i notice others are like that too during map selection of a U3 mp game. museum, Yemen, syria, cheatau, airstrip always gets picked over facilty, molten ruins, bronze city.. This was my issue with U2 glad they made changes in map making style in U3.
2. Do not overprice the dlc's. Its like a $5 map pack bought by120k people is better than a $10 map pack bought by 50k people. Even if the numbers are this $5maps by 120k and $10 by 60-70k, you may earn just as much or probably a bit less by selling dlc's cheaper but the best thing is that you got served more people. More players = better online community.
3. Do not try to attach most of the MP maps to the SP maps. Get a bit crazier (lol) in map designing. Lets just say there is no Carnival level on the TLOU sp, does that mean a carnival map for mp shouldn't also be made? Or a ND office map is not on TLOU, but that shouldn't hold you back in making the ND office as a mp map
EDIT: But please DO HAVE a FOOT RACE or a iron man/triathlon/marathon or something mode. I've been saying this since before U3 launched and ND forum got moved to this new site, I still have not heard if you will do this or not but please do! lol.
EDIT2: Keep taunting in the TLOU mp! I get a lot of LOL from taunting others (and getting taunted too)
Yeah about the whole slow paced thing...
ND please DO NOT make the multiplayer fast paced.
Regardless of how well COD sells with its fast paced nature, that had nothing to do with this game. Let's not pretend TLoU is going to be the next huge multiplayer success, because it definitely won't be. It'll be adored by the smaller fanbases that prefer alternative multiplayers, like those who love Assassins Creed or Uncharted multiplayer games.
So DO NOT water it down to please everybody. Make it slow, tactical, and hardcore, to please the smaller group that will stick with the game for a long time.
Just to be clear the, the MP i want to TLOU doesnt have to be as fast paced as COD (thats way too fast). U3's MP and BF3's mp seems to me to have the right pace on it.
What I was trying to say is that having one spawn per round will probably have you sitting on spectator mode more than actually playing the game. Making this a separate mode will be okay. But a standard on all MP competitive mode, this may not work. Making it too slow compared to current U3 mp will probably shrink what is a big U3 mp player base. ND def don't like that. Most of us here in the forums might still be fine with a very slow paced mp game, but ND should also look after the things that a lot of people like. Keeping the current pace or slowing it just a little bit(not much) by putting scarce ammo and not encouraging camping/pray&sparying is ok to me.
And btw i also agree w/ not having lots of ammo. Seems like most MP shooters is doesn't involve much tactics because you wouldn't have to worry about running out of ammo.
I agree with most of your things, but I also think that the "no respawning" thing should be a different mode itself, because I and most other people don't want to be spectating more than playing.
I just hope ND gets creative and delivers something fresh with the multiplayer. A gritty survival game like TLOU seems like a perfect opportunity to stray from the typical deathmatch-style multiplayer. I agree with pretty much all points in the OP, except for a couple of things:
1) Depending on what exactly the mutliplayer will entail, respawning could be either good or bad. If there are different modes of MP then I'm sure some will work better without respawns, and some with.
2) Although I don't want selfish playstyles encouraged, since we are talking about a gruesome post-apocolyptic world here I don't think selfish play should necessarily be discouraged either. Maybe there could be both benefits and downfalls to acting as a team vs acting out of self preservation. Again, it'll be easier to make a judgement once we know exactly what the MP will be like, but for certain modes I can interesting dynamics being created depending on how selfish/selfless the players in the game act.
Am I the only one who doesn't care about having MP in TLOU? I guess so. LOL
Me too...i'd much rather have ND to work on the single-player and make it as good as possible.
But why not... RE5 had competitive MP, who would guess...
Would you guys just stop saying you don't want multiplayer? All you have to do is to not play it.
I'm sure the singleplayer wouldn't be less polished. The game has already been in development for almost 3 years and they're not even sure which direction they're gonna take multiplayer-wise.
The singleplayer will NOT be compromised for the multiplayer.
I can understand their concern. Althought Naughty Dog is amazing at what they do. Often times a single player campaign is lacking as a result of too much empasis on the MP. Im sure ND will do just fine though.