Treasure Hunter
5061 posts

I don't mind if it's in-engine, as long as the real time...

Dec 13, 2011
I don't mind if it's in-engine, as long as the real time graphics and cutscene graphics are relatively the same.
Message 11 of 65 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
82 posts

pretty sure its prerendered using the engine, to present...

Dec 13, 2011

pretty sure its prerendered using the engine, to present more details than real time. 

Message 12 of 65 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1666 posts

bullshots - many screens were made at print resolution an...

Dec 14, 2011

Voluntarily misleading trailer from Sony, nothing new here. U3 promo wal full of lies too, from bullshots, 60fps gameplay to 3D mode showcased as 720p. Heck, even beta rewards were a total lie.

bullshots - many screens were made at print resolution and scaled down. no extra quality here, no high quality shadows not available in real time, no paintovers by hand. at worst, many screens had "free AA" from being down-rezzed. 

60fps gameplay - that was an encoding error from out of house. just because the video was 60fps, didn't mean the source material (gameplay) was actually recorded at 60fps. it wasn't.  nor did we ever make claims it would be 60fps based on that video. 

3D mode showcased at 720p? - how so? I got that question asked once, directly, and I said we hadn't settled on a resolution, but we were doing something different that doesn't systemically halve our resolution like other 3D solutions do.

beta rewards - they're sitll on their way for SCEE customers. There was a delay in getting them out due to unforeseen circumstances in the backend and data gathering/notice distribution pipeline. 

Message 13 of 65 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

Well, at worst "free AA" still ends up to a pic...

Dec 14, 2011

arne wrote:

Voluntarily misleading trailer from Sony, nothing new here. U3 promo wal full of lies too, from bullshots, 60fps gameplay to 3D mode showcased as 720p. Heck, even beta rewards were a total lie.

bullshots - many screens were made at print resolution and scaled down. no extra quality here, no high quality shadows not available in real time, no paintovers by hand. at worst, many screens had "free AA" from being down-rezzed. 

60fps gameplay - that was an encoding error from out of house. just because the video was 60fps, didn't mean the source material (gameplay) was actually recorded at 60fps. it wasn't.  nor did we ever make claims it would be 60fps based on that video. 

3D mode showcased at 720p? - how so? I got that question asked once, directly, and I said we hadn't settled on a resolution, but we were doing something different that doesn't systemically halve our resolution like other 3D solutions do.

beta rewards - they're sitll on their way for SCEE customers. There was a delay in getting them out due to unforeseen circumstances in the backend and data gathering/notice distribution pipeline. 

Well, at worst "free AA" still ends up to a picture not representative of the real product IQ, aka a bullshot.

That video file has 60 -different- pictures per second. Check it yourself, play it frame by frame, be my guest.

So either the source material is 60fps or you got a pretty cool codec that renders half the frames out of thin air for you (you should sell that to movie makers). And no, it doesn't run at twice the speed.

Play any 3D trailer, gameplay sequences are in 720p.

We'll see about that.

Message 14 of 65 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1666 posts

Sorry - I was out of the office when this happened and wa...

Dec 14, 2011

The_Hpman wrote:

arne wrote:

That video file has 60 -different- pictures per second. Check it yourself, play it frame by frame, be my guest.

So either the source material is 60fps or you got a pretty cool codec that renders half the frames out of thin air for you (you should sell that to movie makers). And no, it doesn't run at twice the speed.

Sorry - I was out of the office when this happened and was going on recollection rather than an e-mail chain.  The video was at 60fps because the video capture machine had the sequence in FCP set to record at 60fps.  So the game was running at 30fps, but the capture station was recording the video output at 60fps.  Either way, it was a mistake in the creation of the video file and not some crazy stuff we did to misrepresent the game. 

Message 15 of 65 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8821 posts

I could care less about that stuff. Even if it is false i...

Dec 14, 2011

tapantaola wrote:

Well, point is that most people don't know the difference between in-engine VS in-game and then you see false headlines, like this one:

http://www.myniritori.com/rendered-real-time-ps3/

They somehow conjecture that ND found a "magic formula" and produced 10x better graphics than UC3... I am sure that TLOU will be a fantastic game, but graphics-wise it will probably be on par with UC3. :smileyhappy:

I could care less about that stuff. Even if it is false i guess I need to see gameplay not trailers.

Message 16 of 65 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

Yeah, so somehow a 30fps running game comes out producing...

Dec 14, 2011

Yeah, so somehow a 30fps running game comes out producing 60 unique, different, pictures per second.

Makes perfect sense.

If you did record a 30fps feed at 60 fps, you would get every frame doubled, and still only 30 unique frames per second in a 60fps file (frame AABBCCDDEEFF etc etc...).

Your video has 60 unique frames per second (frame ABCDEFGH etc etc...). Then again, maybe FCP comes up with the U3 engine and rendered half the frames?

That is embarassing.

Message 17 of 65 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
450 posts

6 back-to-back frame exerpts, each different. Now tell us...

Dec 14, 2011

6 back-to-back frame exerpts, each different.

Now tell us this video only has 30 different frames per second?

Message 18 of 65 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4954 posts

This thread is quite funny.

Dec 15, 2011
This thread is quite funny.
Uncharted 2: 135,000 kills
Uncharted 3: 110,000 kills
Uncharted 4: meh
Message 19 of 65 (119 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Dog Developer
1666 posts

Really?  You're going to argue with me about this?    I s...

Dec 15, 2011

Really?  You're going to argue with me about this? 

I suppose telling you that both Evan Wells and the person who captured the video can attest to that's what happened since it was Evan whose playthrough we captured and the video editor was the one there setting up the FCP project?

Frankly, I doubt it - I feel you are convinced we're actually lying to you about this minor thing.  For what purpose? One gameplay video out of many more that were correctly captured at 30fps. 

Message 20 of 65 (119 Views)