Jun 07 2013
By: II-SlimJim-II Lombax Warrior 185 posts

Think there will be a midnight release?

17 replies 246 views Edited Jun 7, 2013

I've never actually gone to a mid-night releasing for a game, I am definatley considering going to one for this game though.

Message 1 of 18 (246 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Re: Think there will be a midnight release?

Jun 7, 2013

I hope so!

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 2 of 18 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

This is my first digital pre order and the first time I actually want a game at exactly midnight.

How does a digital preorder work? Does the game automatically start downloading? Do you have to go the PSN page and start it?

Message 3 of 18 (237 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1225 posts

Jun 7, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:

This is my first digital pre order and the first time I actually want a game at exactly midnight.

How does a digital preorder work? Does the game automatically start downloading? Do you have to go the PSN page and start it?

doesn't sony usually update the PSn around 4pm in the afternoon!?!?! They better change their ways with this one. Midnight or bust!

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 4 of 18 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1363 posts

Jun 7, 2013

I called Gamestop and he said as of right now, no. He said that they're trying their best to get it to happen. He told me to call back next Thursday and ask.

Message 5 of 18 (212 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20194 posts

Jun 7, 2013
Midnight releases are completely up to the store in question. If the store decides to do a midnight release for the game, then they will do so.

If you're wondering what stores will and will not be doing midnight releases, then I suggest calling the stores in question and asking about it. If they aren't, then you'll have to go in normal hours or find another store that is doing a midnight release.

As for a digital preorder, those are usually activated by the PS Store updating on the day of release. There has been an occasion where digital preorders were activated at midnight PDT (or around 3 AM EDT), so it would technically be a midnight release for those who preordered or would like to buy it. I don't know if TLoU will do this, but it's possible.
Message 6 of 18 (204 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 7, 2013
Checked in at my gamestop too just a while ago. Asked the cute employee chick if there's a midnight release in that store. She said sadly there weren't enough pre-orders to do a midnight release.
"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 7 of 18 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 7, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:

As for a digital preorder, those are usually activated by the PS Store updating on the day of release. There has been an occasion where digital preorders were activated at midnight PDT (or around 3 AM EDT), so it would technically be a midnight release for those who preordered or would like to buy it. I don't know if TLoU will do this, but it's possible.

The digital version will be a midnight release

From ND:

“The game will be a day one digital download—this means you can get it at midnight on June 14”

My question is if a preorder automatically downloads or if I have to start the download myself. Like if I left my PS3 on around midnight, would the game start downloading once it was available? How does other digital preorders work?

Message 8 of 18 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2108 posts

Jun 7, 2013
I'm sure that there will be. I'll be getting my copy at midnight at my local GameStop.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 9 of 18 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jun 7, 2013

In the past Midnight Launches where under the discretion of the Manager. Due to Payroll limits it became a Corporate Decision based on Pre-Order numbers. Generally there was also other Game releases the same day. In TLoU case there is not other title being released at the same time.

There is only one location in my area having a Midnight Run, of course it is not the local where I made the reserve and they will not switch it to the location having it. So there I'll be at 10 am with other gamers watching the Starbucks get a infusion of Cash for Caffeine.

Ryde...

Message 10 of 18 (138 Views)
0 Likes