Aug 09 2013
By: johngie Ghost of Sparta 11942 posts

This game didn't grab me

59 replies 1007 views Edited Aug 9, 2013

And I feel bad about it.

I mean, I love ND games. I love TPS', action-adventuring, and stealthiness. Why didn't I fall in love with TLOU? I'm legitimately perplexed. Don't get me wrong, TLOU is a great game. It deserved it's scores, and I honestly thought it lived up to that E3 demo, but nothing about it makes me want to come back for more, and it's confusing.

I've had it since almost day 1, even preordered the Survival Edition, and I just beat it tonight. The only things that kept me going were that I have a huge backlog and a "one at a time" rule (and TLOU was stopping me from finishng AC3), and the amazing story. More than once I turned off the game thinking "Holy sh-- that was incredible." but by the next day, I pretty much stopped wanting to play the game. 

I only bring this up because I just saw someone mention they were on their third straight playthrough. That was me with Bioshock: Infinite. I played the hell out of that game 3 times back-to-back, platinumed it ASAP.

What are my issues with TLOU? Am I alone in this?

Message 1 of 60 (1,007 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
146 posts

Re: This game didn't grab me

Aug 9, 2013

Why are you feeling bad? It's just a game. Maybe you just aren't quite as into video games as you used to be. At least you still enjoyed the story and that is really what TLOU was made for.

Message 2 of 60 (994 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Couldn't tell ya.  It's your personal opinion and you won't find many (if any) on this forum that agree.  At least your point of contention is reasonable, and that you simply weren't hooked.  Sometimes these things happen, and we can't be sure why.  I can't even count the number of AAA titles I don't enjoy, so don't worry about moving on from something you gave an honest try.  I'm just glad you gave it a full playthrough, as it is a story worth experiencing even if you don't feel the need to play the game again.

Message 3 of 60 (966 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

Everyone has their own opinion, and liking a game but not feeling like playing it again is alright. I don't know what made it to feel like you didn't want to play anymore, maybe you just played it in too large segments and got bored just because of that?

I would want to suggest playing on Survivor though, it will amplify the feeling of the game by removing Listen Mode,  etc. etc.

Well, I don't have BioShock: Infinite, but I can say about BioShock 2 that I did play it through all the endings too. It was a great game, even though people don't consider it to be the best of BioShock-franchise.

Every linear game has their own ways to try to make you play it again, The Last of Us's are the amount of Optional Conversations, occasional non-triggered conversations, Firefly Pendants, Shiv Doors, Comics and something else which I missed probably. There'll come a time when you most likely want to play it again, I've experienced that with Uncharted 3. Played it through 1 time, thought it was meh, and around a year later I wiped the dust off the disc and played it again... was more fun than in the first playthrough.

What I'm getting at is that don't force yourself to play it, it's likely you'll actually want to play it later. So don't sell it, you're currently owning one of the legends of PS3.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 4 of 60 (954 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Aug 9, 2013
Bioshock Infinite was a terrible game. Perhaps you are just more into those kinds of games.
Message 5 of 60 (923 Views)
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

That's funny actually. I feel the same way about Bioshock Infinite. 

As much as I liked the story the gameplay was so plain and that I had and have no interest to play it again either than the 1999 mode, which wasn't too hard tbh.

The DLC looks great though, Burial at Sea. Excited. 

Sorry that TLoU didn't grab you. No big deal. Just not your type.

We all have different tastes.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 6 of 60 (902 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
671 posts

Aug 9, 2013

It didn't grab you. You grabbed it. And Bioshock Infinte was really.....uninteresting and....well, words escape me on these forums. I hated it. Didn't even play it. Just hated it, that much.

Message 7 of 60 (885 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Aug 9, 2013

Strange;  I felt the same way about Bioshock Infinite actually. The graphics were amazing and the environments were really cool but for some reason the gameplay was very underwhelming for me. It took effort for me to force myself to play through levels that seemed so boring. And I was **bleep** because I couldn't quite put my finger one what it was that was causing my disillusionment with what I thought was gonna be a fantastic game.

TLoU on the other hand seems to keep me coming back for more.

Message 8 of 60 (876 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
296 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013

Don't feel bad. Although I don't necessarily agree with you I respect anyone who has a mind of their own and doesn't just agree with the popular opinion.

Besides I think everyone has a few games that they didn't "get" but everyone else loved. A recent example for me was Dishonoured. I could see that it was a good, polished game with some great ideas but it just didn't hook me and I couldn't put my finger on it.

Message 9 of 60 (854 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5270 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 9, 2013
Different strokes, man. I'm on my fourth playthrough. Survivor+. To be honest, no game has sucked me in like is one, and I started gaming in 1979 on the Atari 2600. Not to go all fanboy, but this was the gaming experience I had dreamed about having in the 80's, when I saw the technology rapidly advancing, and was old enough to think to myself," I wonder what games will be like in 20 years or so."

Message 10 of 60 (844 Views)
0 Likes