Aug 06 2013
By: j_kazmi Lombax Warrior 194 posts

Tlou is the second best game this generation according to amazon poll

14 replies 573 views Edited Aug 6, 2013
Nd should be proud of themselves! They came second place in this poll just behind the winner skyrim. I know a lot of people here will say tlou is the generations best but its still a good achievement considering this game just came out. An also uncharted 2 was a semi finalst which is amazing.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000726563
Message 1 of 15 (573 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Re: Tlou is the second best game this generation according to amazon poll

Aug 6, 2013

Quantity over quality I suppose. 

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 2 of 15 (561 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
564 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 6, 2013

So technically, The Last of Us is the best linear game of the generation. Which I agree... but Skyrim as 1st? It was a fun game but I wouldn't say it would be worth being 1st. Probably GTA IV if anything, in my opinion.

Also, this poll is not valid, games for the generation are still coming this year (GTA V, Beyond: Two Souls) etc.

I have acquired the grade of Master in The Last of Us story/character/game knowledge as I have played it through 9 times.

... I have no life.
Message 3 of 15 (556 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Aug 6, 2013
It's true there are still a few worthy titles to come, and that includes Dark Souls 2, which could easily be the best game of this gen for me.
Frankly, Skyrim suffered from too many Bethesdian problems to be ranked #1. Oblivion was a better made game haha.
Message 4 of 15 (522 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

It's very hard to compare Skyrim to TLoU for many obvious reasons. You've gotta take a trip back in time, if you will. Skyrim was released in 2011, when its graphical and mechanical quirks were somewhat normal, and were certainly excusable considering the enormous scope, ambition, and quality of the game. It has about 200 hours worth of gameplay (although many like me were fairly bored after about 80 hours - still a TON!). The storyline was interesting and the sense of freedom was unmatched. The customization and constant rewards were great incentive to keep playing, and the Elder Scrolls series has so much lore that it really helps absorb you into the game.

The Last of Us, on the other hand, is much shorter, but was meant to be that way. TLoU creates a super-interesting environment and storyline, and within that environment it creates some amazing narrative and beautiful character development. The graphics and sound effects are amazing, but it did have a 2-year start on Skyrim anyways, and obviously there is much less to render, in terms of the environment, in The Last of Us. The gameplay in The Last of Us, which uniquely is intertwined with the storytelling and dialogue in an intimate matter (Ellie's comments for example), and its storyline, really sets it apart from Skyrim on many levels.

Although many games (especially recently) have been set in post-apocalyptic universes, very few were able to reproduce the emotional pain and the brutality of life - having to take the life of somebody just trying to survive, for example, or having to watch good friends, who you have bonded with, die or slip away can really touch on your emotions in ways that Skyrim never, ever did. I cried at a couple of points in TLoU, but never came close in Skyrim. Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas were both excellent games, being the Skyrim of post-apocalyptic games. I would recommend them, especially New Vegas, to anybody.

Skyrim was exactly what I expected of it - an amazing game deserving of the praise it has been given. I had an awesome time with it, for a long time. I was there at midnight, in a huge line, to pick up my copy of Skyrim the day it launched. However, I didn't even buy The Last of Us until a friend insisted I try it. I obviously had known of it and it looked great, and since I own (and have beat) the Uncharted series, I thought I'd eventually get it. When I did, however, it BLEW MY MIND. After the very first sequence, which ends with Joel holding his dying/dead daughter in his arms and weeping, I knew this was going to be one of my all-time favorites.

From that point forward, it has never once disappointed. I obsess over different tactical approached to the situations you encounter. The storyline draws me in like no game before it - the characters are very interesting, strong people. They provides an insight into what 20 years of this type of living does to people. I have NEVER been bored playing this game, which sets it apart from Skyrim in a big way.

I can't way one is better than another. I certainly prefer TLoU, but then again when Skyrim came out I thought that was the best game ever also. Who knows, maybe when GTAV comes out I'll be comparing The Last of Us with GTAV in a similar manner in the rockstar forums haha,

Message 5 of 15 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Aug 7, 2013
I can see why Skyrim won over TLoU. Skyrim is an open world RPG (obviously) so there's so much more to do, and so much more choices to make. Even when end game hits, you have soooo much side quests it's unreal. TLoU, while it is a superior game, is just getting from point A, to point B, then you're done. Even if you could explore through the cities a bit, maybe find some people who needed help, that would be awesome.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 6 of 15 (371 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
229 posts

Aug 7, 2013

One game is linear and the other is very non linear. They are both excellent but in different ways so it's difficult to argue if one is better then the other; With Skyrim its the immence sense of discovery and exploration and the freedom of choice. With TLOU it's the storyline, pacing, cohesiveness, uber polished gameplay and the whole cinematic experience.

However, both could be the best games of their type though.

(Oh, and I always preferred Fallout 3 to Skyrim but I guess that's for a different message board, lol).

Message 7 of 15 (348 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
29 posts

Aug 7, 2013

It's actually only the third best Naughty Dog game this generation, so I find it hard for it to be second best.

Sorry, but any game that excludes 10% of the gamer population (southpaw/legacy sticks) from playing it fully is not a top five game of this generation.

Message 8 of 15 (325 Views)
Big Daddy
16348 posts

Aug 7, 2013
Journey.

The Biggest Lies

5.) The hats aren't the surprise.
4.) Mods knows what they're doing.
3.) It doesn't fit the world paradigm.
2.) I'm not in it for the money.
1.) The player pool will be consolidated.

Message 9 of 15 (320 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

Aug 7, 2013

Fez.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Message 10 of 15 (307 Views)
0 Likes