First Son
11 posts

Re: To Naughty Dog

Dec 28, 2013

Am I the only one who would be super upset if they even made a sequel. TLOU, in my mind, is video game perfection. Any instalment after would be compared to the first and would not stand.

The story ended perfectly, and it should not be continued. A prequel of sorts? That I would buy. How did Joel end up where he did? What was it like when civilization still stood while the infection was taking over? That would earn my money faster than a churned out Last of us 2

You and I both know... you're not supposed to take my place, brother.

Get your Portable ID!
Message 11 of 29 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Dec 28, 2013

DvzLion-O wrote:

Am I the only one who would be super upset if they even made a sequel. TLOU, in my mind, is video game perfection. Any instalment after would be compared to the first and would not stand.

The story ended perfectly, and it should not be continued. A prequel of sorts? That I would buy. How did Joel end up where he did? What was it like when civilization still stood while the infection was taking over? That would earn my money faster than a churned out Last of us 2

While I agree, I find Prequels are even more lacking than sequels. Prequels always try to fit too much information in an 8-9 hour story.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Message 12 of 29 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Dec 28, 2013

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

DvzLion-O wrote:

While I agree, I find Prequels are even more lacking than sequels. Prequels always try to fit too much information in an 8-9 hour story.

I would not buy a prequel since there wouldn't be Ellie in it.

Simple as that.

I just didn't find Joel interesting enough to make a solo for me, while Ellie is the character that kinda mended it together.

I'd probably buy anything ND makes, but I'd be disappointed xP 

Message 13 of 29 (169 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1396 posts

Dec 28, 2013

lol pallet surfer XD

Message 14 of 29 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Jan 1, 2014

Wow, I'm surprised by some of the responses here. I shouldn't be but I am. 

I agree with the OP that the ending is great the way it is. When fans start getting their underwear in a bunch over things like how a game ends... well it just sort of reeks of immaturity. You didn't get what you wanted? Time to go flood boards with complaint threads. 

Amazingly, I know of at least one example where whiny fans got their way and essentially forced a rewrite of an ending - Mass Effect 3. 

I tend to view videogames, particularly compelling ones, to be no different than other forms of entertainment/media. Be it movies, music or books. Yet it seems that only in videogames are the fans so presumptuous to think they should decide how a particular story ends. 

Message 15 of 29 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
265 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 1, 2014

@ Jag Why wouldn't fan have a say in how a game ends, They are the ones playing the games and they are the target audience, and the ones shelling out the $60.00 plus dollar for said games.....OH and lets not forget that without the fans the game designer would be up a creek without a paddle and most likely working for Microsoft writing boring program language.

Message 16 of 29 (135 Views)
Lombax Warrior
177 posts

Jan 1, 2014

Sweetbrandigirl wrote:

@ Jag Why wouldn't fan have a say in how a game ends, They are the ones playing the games and they are the target audience, and the ones shelling out the $60.00 plus dollar for said games.....OH and lets not forget that without the fans the game designer would be up a creek without a paddle and most likely working for Microsoft writing boring program language.

Ohh **bleep**!!! Some girl knows how to own dudes, I have to say youre so right on that.

Microsoft could never even come up with such an amazing title.

Bathory/Quorthon 1983-2004/Twilight Of The Gods
See you in Valhalla
Message 17 of 29 (130 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Jan 1, 2014

Sweetbrandigirl wrote:

To put it simply, because you're the consumer. Not the author/writer, level designer, or any other part of the staff at ND. If you'd like to have a say I'd recommend become a game developer. Personally, as another end user, I have zero interest in what the masses think the game should be. Because let's face it, it'd be impossible to implement everyone's ideas. 

Sure, developers need to keep their audience in mind when making a game. But I don't think the audience should have a part in the development process outside of here's "what we liked", "what we didn't". 

Buying a product doesn't create a binding agreement between you and the developer or a channel for your ideas. Presumably you purchased the game b/c you saw value in it at the price point offered. 

Message 18 of 29 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Jan 1, 2014

conquerator3 wrote:

TheNobleSquirrel wrote:

DvzLion-O wrote:

I would not buy a prequel since there wouldn't be Ellie in it.

Simple as that.

I just didn't find Joel interesting enough to make a solo for me, while Ellie is the character that kinda mended it together.

I'd probably buy anything ND makes, but I'd be disappointed xP 

Exactly! Ellie was the main character, you just played the story from Joel's perspective. 

Sweetbrandigirl wrote:

@ Jag Why wouldn't fan have a say in how a game ends, They are the ones playing the games and they are the target audience, and the ones shelling out the $60.00 plus dollar for said games.....OH and lets not forget that without the fans the game designer would be up a creek without a paddle and most likely working for Microsoft writing boring program language.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
Thank you! People need to realise without a steady, and compelled fanbase, gaming companies (Naughty Dog, Bioware, Epic Games) would be dead weight without us. Sure, they make the game, but we're the ones who keep the company alive. If a company goes off, and just starts ignoring their fans, no one is going to buy the game, and that company is going to go under.
They make the bed, but we lay in it. Simple as that.
Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
Message 19 of 29 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1642 posts

Jan 1, 2014

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

Sweetbrandigirl wrote:

To put it simply, because you're the consumer. Not the author/writer, level designer, or any other part of the staff at ND. If you'd like to have a say I'd recommend become a game developer. Personally, as another end user, I have zero interest in what the masses think the game should be. Because let's face it, it'd be impossible to implement everyone's ideas. 

Sure, developers need to keep their audience in mind when making a game. But I don't think the audience should have a part in the development process outside of here's "what we liked", "what we didn't". 

Buying a product doesn't create a binding agreement between you and the developer or a channel for your ideas. Presumably you purchased the game b/c you saw value in it at the price point offered. 

Consumers should have a say in the development process, but to a degree. I mean, look at how horrendus Battlefield 4's level designs are. Would you honestly want a company like ND to turn into another EA? If ND doesn't see what their fans want/need, it's going to leave a bitter taste in their consumers mouths.

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
Message 20 of 29 (118 Views)
0 Likes