Fender Bender
3354 posts

Re: To preorder or not to preorder, that is the question

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
The first and only time I ever preordered a game was the time I regretted doing so. I'm a huge fan of the Hitman series so preordering Htman Absolution seemed like a no-brainer. But the game wasn't exactly what I was hoping for or was expecting and I returned the game in a week.

Since then I've been wary of preordering anything. Now The Last of Us is releasing in two weeks and I plan to get it as a digital download...which makes the decision to preorder even harder since I wouldn't be able to return or trade in.

Naughty Dog hasn't let me down yet. Uncharted 2 remains my favorite action and adventure of all time and has a special place in my collection as my first PS3 game. Uncharted 3 couldn't surpass the bar raised by its predecessor but still was an awesome experience.

I love post apocalyptic fiction - the bleaker and darker the better - and I love the zombie genre even more. Add in the amazing visuals and atmosphere, the infected that are actually dangerous and scary, an incredibly brilliant premise, awesome enemy AI, gameplay that allows for different styles and tactics...and my hype for TLOU is very very high.

Yet...I'm hesitant to preorder. Should I or shouldn't I?

You should wait for the GOTY Edition because ND isn't really selling the full game at launch. They will be selling an online pass for this game that will gouge your wallet, and if you don't buy that you'll be missing out on Story DLC (may have been removed from game, not sure, but probably since they have a history of taking content and making it DLC: Uncharted 3 MP skins), which if you choose to buy separately will gouge your wallet even more. Also, we have no idea what the Multiplayer is like, and we don't know what will be included in the Season Pass. It could be a rip off and swindle you, like ND's past Season Pass for Uncharted which promised 4 map packs, but those who purchased it only recieved 3 map packs.

With all that said, DO NOT pre-order. Instead be patient and wait for the much cheaper GOTY edition that will likely cost $40 and come with all the Season Pass DLC.

You can thank me later. Smiley Happy

dkmariolink wrote:

Just wait until Eyecue comes in and says to wait for the GOTY edition.. Same GOLD incoming.

Fixed!breasts.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 11 of 42 (194 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 1, 2013

TOLD YOU SO.

Message 12 of 42 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 1, 2013
I just saw the preorder bonuses. Does the special game installer come with every digital download or only preordered ones?

Besides that, only other bonus I'd want is the documentary. Would not want early access to those upgrades. Those are the only bonuses?
Message 13 of 42 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 1, 2013

I WOULD pre order the game, but highly advise you to wait on the season pass. You can just see the documentary on youtube. 

Message 14 of 42 (177 Views)
Sackboy
433 posts

Jun 1, 2013

Well in my opinion we haven't been given enough information for me to decide whether to pre order or not.  I can't justify any single player experience no matter how good, for 60$.  If they show us the mp before the game is release and it looks good, then I, myself will preorder it.  If they don't show it or it looks bad when they do, I will pick this game up later as the single player experience will stay the same, or I'll rent it.  If you don't care about mp and feel like spend 60$ for 12 hour single player experience, then go ahead.  I am pretty sure this games sp will be great.

photo Uncharted forum_zpsc7kdez3c.jpg
Message 15 of 42 (176 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013
Save for a few games, I rarely ever play multiplayer but I'd pay full price for a polished quality single player. I never judge a game based on multiplayer, I ignore that and only consider the single player content

---
And @EyeCube:
Yes we get it. You've been burned by ND before and GOTY edition FTW!!!

But one, cut content is cut for a reason. Maybe it didn't fit into the narrative or could have made the pacing suffered. So who cares if single player DLC is cut content or not. We don't even know that.

And two, I rarely play multiplayer. And if TLOU's MP is unique and I do get hooked, I'm not going to get all the DLC anyway. I don't want all the DLC that would come with a GOTY edition anyway. I pick and choose what I want
Message 16 of 42 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 1, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
Save for a few games, I rarely ever play multiplayer but I'd pay full price for a polished quality single player. I never judge a game based on multiplayer, I ignore that and only consider the single player content

---
And @EyeCube:
Yes we get it. You've been burned by ND before and GOTY edition FTW!!!

But one, cut content is cut for a reason. Maybe it didn't fit into the narrative or could have made the pacing suffered. So who cares if single player DLC is cut content or not. We don't even know that.

And two, I rarely play multiplayer. And if TLOU's MP is unique and I do get hooked, I'm not going to get all the DLC anyway. I don't want all the DLC that would come with a GOTY edition anyway. I pick and choose what I want

That reason is that there is more money to be made from selling it seperately. 

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 17 of 42 (152 Views)
Monster Hunter
38 posts

Jun 1, 2013
I'd say get the disk version if you can, that way you can return it. I preordered & i have faith in the MP...don't let anyone influence you though, make the decision you want.
Message 18 of 42 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013
@chrisdarkprince - No chance for a disk version. Already got my funds ready on my
PSN account

@Eyecube
Actually in most forms of entertainment, movies, books, tv shows, games, content is cut because either the content doesn't jive with the narrative/tone or just screws with pacing. Movie commentaries, tv behind the scenes, and author introductions have all reiterated this point.

So to simply say that content is cut from a campaign simply for business purposes is an unfounded generalization. Do you have any examples of cut content that was available later as DLC and what were the dev's reasons?

Let's say theoretically the DLC is Joel's time as a "hunter", or Joel's story of survival during the early days of the outbreak, or maybe the backstory of another character. TLOU's main plot is the develoent of Joel and Ellie's relationship and the mystery behind why she needs to be delivered. How would that kind of content fit into that narrative without seeming forced or just not workin within the story? Like I said, cut content is cut for a reason.
Message 19 of 42 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 1, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
@chrisdarkprince - No chance for a disk version. Already got my funds ready on my
PSN account

@Eyecube
Actually in most forms of entertainment, movies, books, tv shows, games, content is cut because either the content doesn't jive with the narrative/tone or just screws with pacing. Movie commentaries, tv behind the scenes, and author introductions have all reiterated this point.

So to simply say that content is cut from a campaign simply for business purposes is an unfounded generalization. Do you have any examples of cut content that was available later as DLC and what were the dev's reasons?

Let's say theoretically the DLC is Joel's time as a "hunter", or Joel's story of survival during the early days of the outbreak, or maybe the backstory of another character. TLOU's main plot is the develoent of Joel and Ellie's relationship and the mystery behind why she needs to be delivered. How would that kind of content fit into that narrative without seeming forced or just not workin within the story? Like I said, cut content is cut for a reason.

But all of those eventually find there way onto the product in the forum of deleted scene, with the exception of books. If you want the deleted scenes you usually have to pony up extra cash for the 2 disc version of the blu-ray. Albeit in film most scenes are cut for the reasons you state, but in video games it usually because you can sell content like that for more money. Look at Mass Effect 3's Day 1 From the Ashes DLC. Cut from the game to sell as DLC in the Special Edition. 

It's entirely within the realm of possibilty ND did the same so that they could lump it in with the Season Pass.

-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 20 of 42 (128 Views)
0 Likes