Lombax Warrior
153 posts

Re: To preorder or not to preorder, that is the question

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

Pretty sure there's NO way TLOU could be as disappointing as Hitman: Absolution (nor the Aliens: Colonial Marines disaster, my own big "only preorder that physically felt painful"). For one, it's not an existing franchise of awesome previous games, just a "standalone" that will either be good or not.

Since I've barely played the Uncharted games (couldn't really get into the first, as felt like a Tomb Raider copy with nothing new... though I'm sure the series improves) so I have no loyalty to ND to influence me here.

However, I also LOVE post apocalypse fiction and zombie fiction, and I own probably every post apocalypse and/or zombie video game from the DOS era onwards, so I am a bit biased in that respect! Smiley Happy (anyone else played 'Visions of Aftermath' or 'Zombieville'? Exactly).

I'm also a huge fan of single-player, story-based games with good characters and decent writing (or at least emptional involvement), and TLOU seems very much focused on that in an era of countless gung-ho military FPS, multiplayer-is-king mindsets and grind-heavy loot-fest RPGs.

I actually bought my PS3 late last year entirely to play TLOU (before all the delays) and was very disappointed I can't buy a really nice big collector's edition here in Australia (just the shoddy Joel/Ellie editions with almost nothing physical added).

I've still preordered, and am looking forward to this game more than any released in the last couple of years.

I've planned to buy since the first reveal, and have been only encouraged more by video playthroughs shown. The demo was a little "meh" but I got the feeling it was an earlier build and not exactly the best part of the game they picked! Even the video after the demo seemed much cooler.

Message 31 of 42 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013
@Banjo - So you love those genres too? Sent you a PM with some recommendations if you're interested

And if it's true that we get the soundtrack with the PSN preorder, then I'm sold
Message 32 of 42 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1419 posts

Jun 1, 2013

If you are buying it for the single player then pre-order it.

And get the physical copy, so if you don't like it you can make a quick buck at the expense of ND.

Message 33 of 42 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7103 posts

Jun 1, 2013

cvbxsta wrote:
Can anyone confirm about getting the soundtrack even by preordering from PSN? I thought that was just with a Gamestop preorder

The only Gamestop exclusive pre-order bonuses are the useless multiplayer ones that you will most likely be able to unlock by playing anyways.

fadi002's Signature - The Last Of Us

Message 34 of 42 (104 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2121 posts

Jun 1, 2013

EyeCue86 wrote:

hjidontknow wrote:

Sure, ND makes exceptional games.

Not all the time.

DISAPPOINTMENT

Uncharted 3 was good, but didn't meet expectations. (Why take out the Single Player Bonuses? Those were great in Uncharted 2)

Message 35 of 42 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
153 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 1, 2013

@cvbxsta (how the heck do you quote on this board?!)

Thanks!!! I sure do... post apocalypse is my fave genre of anything, with or without zombies (though they're always a plus).

I've gone with a physical preorder myself, mostly because I hate digital downloads unless unavoidable (if I pay that sort of money, I want to hold it physically in my hands) and I LOVE "feelies" (extra silly bits and pieces that come with games). Of course, since I'm in Australia (home of the post apocalypse landscape! Smiley Tongue ) I have to buy the statue and art book separately, as the only "special editions" here come with (gasp!) a poster and a "controller skin"! Smiley Frustrated

At least we get the OST and some minor DLC stuff with it too, which I presume most non-regular (even the digital download) versions also come with worldwide.

Message 36 of 42 (81 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

Jun 1, 2013
@Banjo - dont know how to quote either!
---
Me, I actually prefer digital downloads, more convenient.

As long as I get the soundtrack and documentary, I'm happy
---
Hey, are you part of any forums or Reddit or anything that discuss the genre? I'm always looking for new books/movies/shows/games and love to discuss
Message 37 of 42 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2633 posts

Jun 1, 2013

hhhhhhhhh.JPG

yeehaw i'm a cowboy now
Message 38 of 42 (68 Views)
Gaming Beast
1934 posts