Highlighted
Hekseville Citizen
300 posts

Re: Totally The Walking Dead

Feb 9, 2013

PePziiC-x wrote:
Well considering your logic sir the walking dead = every single piece of entertainment with zombies in it. So what's so bad if tlou is just another ”zombie game” walking dead rip off herp derp

HA. Someone is too **bleep**. Did you even read my post?

When has a zombie entertainment piece ever about the human drama than the zombies? In recent memory, there's only The Walking Dead. Everything out there centers around the zombies.

Message 11 of 66 (527 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1199 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

I just had to post here to say this is one of the most idiotic and absurd thread I've read in a while.

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

Infected = zombies. You can spin it however you want, ND. But Walking Dead zombies also came about by virus.

Post-apocalyptic? Check.

More about the "human drama" and the monsters are just on the background? Check.

Scavenging for supplies, limited ammo? Check.

Going from place to place while meeting people on the way? Check.

Raw brutality, gore, and realistic violence? Check.

Survival in any way? Check.

Zombies came about by virus in TWD

Look, like in the rest of movies/books/stuff/games about zombies then, and that includes Resident Evil, which came out in the 90s. I guess that makes TWD a blatant Resident Evil rip-off.

Post-apocalyptic

Well no shiit there is apocalypse, there are violent, zombie-like humans and the rest of the people has gone mad. Do you expect the world to be ridding ponies and eating ice creams while a zombie eats their lungs?

More about "human drama" and blablabla

Because Uncharted has never been based on the characters and the story and because all zombie games/books are about a badass bald dude who kills 10000 zombies with his gun.

Scavenging for supplies, little ammo

They'd rather go to the nearest 24/7 and get them some shotguns and apples. Have you even played the original survival horror games or read a post-apocalyptic novel? This is so stupid it's offensive.

Going from place to place while meeting people on the way

They should totally stay inside an elevator and die of starvation there instead. In case they move from the elevator to the fridge of a store they should do it blindly so they don't meet any other survivor on their way, AMC could sue them otherwise.

Raw brutality, gore, and realistic violence

They could try to talk and chill with an infected humanoid who just wants to eat them or with rabid people who just try to survive at any cost. About the realistic violence, Naughty Dog could put blue or yellow blood so it's not that realistic. They're not trying to make their most realistic game after all.

Survival in any way

Because there are so many different options for survival in that world.

These kids nowadays thinking The Walking Dead invented postapocalypse and zombies. Do some fukn' research before writing such nonsense.

Message 12 of 66 (523 Views)
Naughty Paw
10985 posts

Feb 9, 2013

So you refuse to believe that their inspiration came from that BBC special? Or perhaps Children of Men and The Road, which they have mentioned several times during interviews? Looks like you're trying to start something...

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 13 of 66 (510 Views)
Fender Bender
2562 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

Infected = zombies. You can spin it however you want, ND. But Walking Dead zombies also came about by virus.

Post-apocalyptic? Check.

More about the "human drama" and the monsters are just on the background? Check.

I get that ND doesn't wanna admit it, but it just so happens that they're making a game very similar to the highest-rated cable TV show in the USA today? They expect me to believe that all of this came about from a 2008 BBC documentary, vs. a 2010 ongoing series that has 15+ million household viewers and has exponentially more similarities than a video of an ant being taken over by a virus? Come on. We're not that stupid, ND.

Good luck to this game, and it's going to be a bestseller for sure. But please, it's totally on the The Walking Dead bandwagon.

The entire inspiration for the game did not come from the BBC documentary. Take into consideration that their inspiration came from multiple sources. The common theme with all of these sources (The Road, No Country for Old Men, I Am Legend to name a few) is that they focus on the characters first using pressure to bring out who the characters really are. That was what they originally wanted out of this game, the inspiration for whatever the pressure to put on these characters was going to be, came from the BBC documentary. You can get all of this info in multiple interviews, before coming here to try and devalue this project.

Is TLoU similar to The Walking Dead? Sure, and that's not a bad thing. I think more horrors should focus more on the characters instead of the horror. But is this game a blatant bandwagon? Hardly even.

Message 14 of 66 (503 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1160 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

n_nod2012 wrote:

Uhm, the walking dead zombies are actually dead people brought back to life. Hence the name "zombie"  The "infected" in TLOU are actual living people who are changed into these things.

They're ultimately the same thing. Unless the "infected" in TLOU have any semblance of their older selves. Yes, a virus took over them and they became monsters. The Walking Dead zombies are just like that. Everyone carries the virus, and when they die (however they die) they all turn into zombies. The only difference is that in Walking Dead, you have to die first before turning into a monster, whereas in TLOU you instantly turn into one (and you die in the process). Ultimately the same thing.

No. As revealed in the latest trailer, there are two stages of "infection". They start out as runners(okay, maybe you could catch this one as copying "walkers"), in this stage of infection, they are still aware of who they are and what lives they had and what people still are. It's just that the FUNGUS(not a virus) is controlling their mind, making them miserable each passing second. As the infection worsens, the fungus explodes out of their cranium and through most of the orifices on the upper half of their head. This is the "clicker" stage, and walkers generally moan, clickers click. They are blind, and they can't even smell anymore, they have to locate objects through the echo of the clicking noises.

As for "infection", you don't necessarily turn after being bit or even scratched for that matter. You have to make contact with the fungus spores in order to become infected.

Don't get me wrong, I love The Walking Dead series, comic and television show(even the video game), but even after being a fun of both series, TWD and TLOU are still very far apart along the lines of your typical "zombie apocalypse" theme. Besides, The Walking Dead isn't the only media that followed this whole zombie apocalypse survival theme. There were also movies like Dawn of the Dead, 28 Days Later, and the upcoming movie World War Z(I honestly am not looking forward to this).

Yes, TLOU isn't the most unique video game ever, but it is still a masterpiece in the works. The Walking Dead is also a masterpiece, so why can't we just love both regardless of their "similarities"?

Get your Portable ID!
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, Tomb Raider, God of War: Ascension, Grand Theft Auto V, and The Last of Us.
By the way, this signature is very outdated.
Message 15 of 66 (488 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Feb 9, 2013

Actually TLOU was inspired by the BBC Documentary Series: Planet Earth, among many other novels and movies, such as No Country for Old Men, The Road (the novel), 28 Days Later, Y: The Last Man and they said in an interview with Gameinformer that they took inspiration from the Walking Dead too, but not all. I think that they're taking the best from each movie and novel. For example, they want to capture the sense of tension from No Country for Old Men, but they also want to make players care about the characters, like they would watching or reading the Walking Dead series and comics. Which is not bad at all.

At the same time Naughty Dog wants to give this game its touch.

Also, for your information The Last of Us was being deveolped since 2009 and the initial concept was to make a game with characters that had to go through very intense and emotional experiences. They felt that one of the best scenarios for this idea was a post-apocalyptic world and a realistic yet interesting story.

I don't know about you, but I'll tell you how all this turns out until May 7th.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 16 of 66 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5481 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

Post-apocalyptic? Check.

Survival in any way? Check

Congratulations, you just described the basic formula for every good zombie story ever.
Your knowledge of zombie stories must be limited to only The Walking Dead, which is why you think that. But let me fill you in on some zombie story history so that you understand.
Night of the Living Dead
The "Grandfather" of zombie movies, made in 1968. Most of the movie is of the central characters communicating with one another. The story is actually a comment on racial discrimination at the time, with the main character being a black man. At the time, it was considered very brutal and gory.
28 Days Later
A story about how a small group of people travel from one end of the country to the other, becoming a family in the process. They discover that humans are more deadly than the zombies, as the military try to rape their women as they hold them prisoner. The zombies barely have any screen-time in this movie whatsoever.
World War Z (Book)
A series of interviews with people from all over the world, and from all walks of life, about how they survived the apocalypse. Each story covers not only how the apocalypse changed their lives, but how it brought each nation together, united by a common enemy.
Shaun of the Dead
Yep, it counts. It's your classic romantic comedy; a man winning back the love of a woman. It just happens that he's doing it during a zombie apocalypse. They travel around the town trying to get to a safe haven. Very gory in places.

That's a short list to get you started, but there are hundreds more, of course.
If you had seen any zombie stories other than The Walking Dead, you'd have known that no good zombie story is ever about the zombies: it's always about the humans. Check out the ones I listed, they're all awesome.

I'm guessing you've played Resident Evil, which actually is just about the zombies, and that's just one of the reasons why the story is absolutely awful.

Message 17 of 66 (442 Views)
Lombax Warrior
185 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

So you are saying that this game would not be character driven, if The Walking Dead did not exist...

lol

All your other points are laughably bad, good try though.

Message 18 of 66 (434 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2480 posts

Feb 9, 2013

There's also s pretty big difference that I don't think anyone's mentioned yet (If somebody has please bear with me)

The Last of Us takes place 20 years after an apocalypse, while I'm guessing season 3 of The Walking Dead takes place about a year after. This makes a huge difference. Nature has been 'reclaiming' the cities, buildings has collapsed and the survivors still alive is the most hardened survivors that has almost lost their humanity.
IMO The Walking Dead just scratches the surface of the last mentioned.

And by the time you're done reading this, you'll realize that this is just my sig
Message 19 of 66 (418 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
870 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 9, 2013

Rumba_Lumba wrote:

Post-apocalyptic? Check.

I get that ND doesn't wanna admit it, but it just so happens that they're making a game very similar to the highest-rated cable TV show in the USA today? They expect me to believe that all of this came about from a 2008 BBC documentary, vs. a 2010 ongoing series that has 15+ million household viewers and has exponentially more similarities than a video of an ant being taken over by a virus? Come on. We're not that stupid, ND.

Good luck to this game, and it's going to be a bestseller for sure. But please, it's totally on the The Walking Dead bandwagon.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... I'm sorry what?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 20 of 66 (405 Views)
0 Likes