Reply
Jun 25 2013
By: Banjo_aus Lombax Warrior 153 posts
Offline

Unlockable skins are very disappointing

[ Edited ]
27 replies 909 views Edited Jun 25, 2013

Am i the only one who thought this?

 

Not only are Ellie's skins almost all just bland shirts with Naughty Dog's logo on them or the logo from some other game they made (free advertising?!) but - more disappointingly - most of the actual in-game skins aren't available for unlocking!

 

I was assuming having "skins" to unlock would mean being able to play the whole game with Joel in his Winter outfit, or Ellie wearing her Fall jacket, for example, but apart from Ellie's red flannel outfit, were ANY of the in-game skins in the unlockables list? More than anything else as a reward, I wanted the in-game skins. I expected them, to be honest, since they're, you know, already in the game!

 

As for "bonus" skins... where's the matching SLC Zoo "giraffe" tee-shirts for Ellie and Joel (how adorable would that be?)? Sarah's PJs and soccer outfit for Ellie? QZ Trooper and Firefly Soldier uniforms for Joel? Hospital gown Ellie?! Heck, the fact there's no Savage Starlight tee-shirt is ridiculous, given the references to the comic in the game. How about a "Get on the @#$& Pallet!" tee-shirt? Smiley Happy

 

Heck, the fact that there's no Savage Starlight tee-shirt for Ellie (with matching "Endure and Survive" for Joel?) is ridiculous given the attention the fictional comic series gets in-game.

 

Fun stuff like the random examples above wouldn't take a ton of work, but would be much more rewarding than a "purple plaid shirt" for Joel, surely?

 

Come to think of it, would it have killed them to throw in one or two alternate textures for Tess, Bill, Henry and Sam? Even just one each?

Message 1 of 28 (909 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 03/09/2009
Offline
4120 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013
The jak goggles look nothing like jak's goggles, how the hell do they screw that up?
Message 2 of 28 (897 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/01/2013
Offline
153 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013

khknight wrote:
The jak goggles look nothing like jak's goggles, how the hell do they screw that up?

Who ARE Jak and Dexter, anyway? I assume they're characters from another game ND made?

Message 3 of 28 (881 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 07/11/2012
Offline
594 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013
Jak and Daxter are the main protagonists of the Jak and Daxter series on the PS2

I don't want to sound like a jerk but ND is not just famous for Uncharted and The Last of Us. They've totally been rocking it with Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 and Jak and Daxter on the PS2 and it shows that they can tackle any genre at this point
Message 4 of 28 (876 Views)
Highlighted
Sackboy
Registered: 03/03/2013
Offline
364 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013

Banjo_aus wrote:

khknight wrote:
The jak goggles look nothing like jak's goggles, how the hell do they screw that up?

Who ARE Jak and Dexter, anyway? I assume they're characters from another game ND made?


Oh. My. God.

Signature Size for Contest July TLOU photo FINALSARAH_zpse2590fe2.jpg
Message 5 of 28 (866 Views)
Lombax Warrior
Registered: 06/01/2013
Offline
153 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

[ Edited ]
Jun 25, 2013

luctiger98 wrote:
Jak and Daxter are the main protagonists of the Jak and Daxter series on the PS2

I don't want to sound like a jerk but ND is not just famous for Uncharted and The Last of Us. They've totally been rocking it with Crash Bandicoot on the PS1 and Jak and Daxter on the PS2 and it shows that they can tackle any genre at this point

Not a jerk at all! Thanks for the info! I've played the first few levels of Uncharted 1 (wasn't that impressed, to be honest, but I hear it improves and the second game is a *lot* better) but that's it as far as I go with ND's other games.

 

Sure, I know who Crash Bandicoot is, of course, but never really played it. My childhood games were Mario, Zelda and JRPGs on consoles and Sierra/LucasArts adventure games on PC (yes, I'm OLD)! Even though I adored my PS1 and PS2 before moving to the 360 (only got a PS3 in December, just for TLOU, hence not playing Uncharted until now since it was exclusive), I never heard of Jak and Daxter... platformer, presumably? If so, that's probably why I've not played it, as I've never really liked the genre and was always more into survival horror and RPGs.

 

Remember folks, not everyone who plays TLOU is doing so because they're Naughty Dog fans first and foremost. Smiley Happy

 

Back on topic... given the success of Uncharted, not even a Nathan Drake outfit skin for Joel?!

Message 6 of 28 (856 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 07/11/2012
Offline
594 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013
Open world platformer in Jak and Daxter 1
Jak 2 was still open world but they introduced guns and cars, Jak 3 went more in depth with the cars

Still open world platformers yeah
Message 7 of 28 (838 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 06/14/2013
Offline
428 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013

Pyromobster wrote:

Banjo_aus wrote:

khknight wrote:
The jak goggles look nothing like jak's goggles, how the hell do they screw that up?

Who ARE Jak and Dexter, anyway? I assume they're characters from another game ND made?


Oh. My. God.


Dont worry, doctor told me to leave him to himself.

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 8 of 28 (817 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Wastelander
Registered: 06/22/2013
Offline
666 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013
Savage Starlight shirt is a good idea. The hospital gown would be pretty weird since those usually dont have a back to them...

I just didnt like the skins because when a cutscene came up they magically changed in to their original clothes.
Message 9 of 28 (812 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 06/14/2013
Offline
428 posts
 

Re: Unlockable skins are very disappointing

Jun 25, 2013

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
Savage Starlight shirt is a good idea. The hospital gown would be pretty weird since those usually dont have a back to them...

I just didnt like the skins because when a cutscene came up they magically changed in to their original clothes.

Wouldnt you want to look all neat for the camera too?

TLOU Infected Signature photo infectedsignature2_zps03d0c45d.png
Message 10 of 28 (808 Views)
Reply
0 Likes