Feb 01 2014
By: DeterministBane First Son 7 posts

Using the seasons as Symbolism

2 replies 158 views Edited Feb 1, 2014

The Last of Us divides it's gameplay into four seasons:

Summer - the beginning (tess, henry and sam)
Fall - entering Tommy's dam

Winter - Joel injured ; David the Cannibal

Spring - marlene, hospital

Stories in literature have often used the seasons as symbolism:

Summer - passion, heat, romance, clarity

Fall - age, sunset, harvest, winding down

Winter - solitude, desperation, misery

Spring - rebirth, renewal

Winter and Spring are definitely a match here.  Summer and fall, I'll have to think about it

Message 1 of 3 (158 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
7 posts

Re: Using the seasons as Symbolism

Feb 1, 2014

I can definently see were you are coming from WINTER and SPRING are probably for the most spot on but I also think you are right about FALL becasue correct me if I am wrong but that is the same season were Joel ends up really starting to care for ellie or atleast makes the decsion about taking real care of her. As for SUMMER you probably right also about it because you mention ts about romance and passion, about the romance or partnership of JOEL and TESS or SAM and HENRY and BILL & his lost partner 

I do think that you are right FALL is probably the most unclear however I do agree on the front about FALL being about age and winding down 

HOPE you liked my reply

Message 2 of 3 (146 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Re: Using the seasons as Symbolism

Feb 1, 2014
yes, i like your reply.

for summer, i think even though there is death and sadness, it has a summery feel to it. things are lively, there's lots of people, a sense of hope, or innocence (that the adventure could go anywhere), but things break down the way they are supposed to be in fall.

tommy (As well as joel/ellie relationship) being represented in fall is a tough thing to match. but perhaps maturity of joel coming to terms with the importance of ellie.
Message 3 of 3 (142 Views)
0 Likes