Aug 21 2013
By: Shellfish5 First Son 8 posts

Was Tess a prostitute?

15 replies 9942 views Edited Aug 21, 2013
When going through the market in the Slums on the way to Robert's warehouse, several shady characters engage Tess in conversation.

The first one, Terence, seems to be propositioning her "Tess! Hey Tess! Pretty lady, come here.", while the second sleazy gentleman with another woman on his lap extremely smugly says "Tess, you don't visit us any more.". The third man, Malick, she calls "an old headache", he might be a former sexual liaison or simply an admirer.

Troughout this entire section, Tess seems rather uncomfortable and evasive. Whatever her history with these gentlemen is, it is clearly not a pleasant one. A history that she would no doubt want to keep secret from Joel, given her romantic feelings towards him.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 16 (9,942 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
329 posts

Re: Was Tess a prostitute?

Aug 21, 2013
She gave everybody the clap. The End.
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 16 (9,938 Views)
PlayStation MVP
6179 posts

Aug 21, 2013
And Joel's the pimp.

Everything is cuuming together...

2pac.jpg

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 16 (9,937 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
268 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2013

Lol the **** people come up with on these forums...

whats next? ellie was a sex slave?

Edit: language

U--J

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 16 (9,924 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2013

Haha it's nuts the way some people on this forum interpret Tess's behavior. There was another guy who thought Tess's character sucked because she "wasn't too good with the boys" or something along those lines.

First of all, OP, you are missing a key piece of dialogue in the conversation you talk about. He clearly says, "I heard you've got some merchandise", referring to the fact that Tess is a well-known smuggler in the Boston QZ. This was made abundantly clear to me the very first time I played. The "pretty lady" remark is really nothing out of the ordinary - prob just a sleazy, underlaid dude, hitting on an attractive (in that post-apocalyptic way, you know :smileywink:) woman. And because she *might* have had an intimate relationship with Malick at some point suggests she was a prostitute?

It's too bad that after creating such a masterpiece in terms of storyline and dialogue so much stuff seems to go right over people's heads: "What's up with that chick, a woman is telling me what to do? i have to follow a woman around??! Grrr!!! Wait, they are talking to her in a sleazy way, must mean she is a prostitute! I have to follow this stank prostitute around for the first hour what the **** Naughty Dog!" Not to mention it kinda sucks some people still think of women in this somewhat old-fashioned way, even though undoubtably they meant no harm and don't even realize what they imply.

People are crazy haha

Edit: language

U--J

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 16 (9,916 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
760 posts

Aug 21, 2013

...I hope so. I got 4 ration cards here, just dying to be spent!

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 16 (9,903 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Aug 21, 2013
First of all, I like Tess, a fact that would not change were my theory true. I'd imagine an attractive woman in the criminal underworld of a post-apocalyptic quarantine zone would have to do all manner of distastful things to survive.

Don't paint me as a misogynist for positing a simple theory.

You're right about Terence, I didn't have the scene in front of me and didn't remember the line about the merchandise. That pretty much boils the evidence down to the gentleman in the tent with the lady in his lap, substansially damaging the credibility of the theory.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 16 (9,882 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1521 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 21, 2013

I think you're just extremely horny, and are most likely just hitting puberty. They could mean a number of things, but I'm guessing it all meant that she, oh I dunno, brought ration cards to them? Brought supplies to them? Helped them through the QZ to find more supplies, helped them OUT of the QZ? lel

Naughty Dogs #1 Fanboy!
"I hate cliff hangers." -Ellie.
Asshatery knows no boundaries.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 16 (9,868 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
670 posts

Aug 21, 2013

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 16 (9,856 Views)
Wastelander
769 posts

Aug 21, 2013

She was a drug dealer. The guy in the slums was asking for narcotic pills.

sig.png

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 16 (9,839 Views)
0 Likes