Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jun 20 2013
By: Pheist_Ewon First Son 6 posts

Water Movement

[ Edited ]
23 replies 577 views Edited Jun 21, 2013

There is only one feature in The Last of Us that brought me out of the experience, briefly; the water and liquid movement.

Watching the cinematic for Twenty Years Later, I first noticed the strange behavior of liquid. In the bottle of alcohol on the table, that Tess just poured a drink from, the liquid kept moving; even after it would, by physical definition, stop moving. I dismissed it as, maybe, Tess was just really shaking the table by leaning on it.

The part that really tore me away from this world was the beginning of Fall, near the river. I noticed the river and was taken by it; so much that I stopped to watch it. What I noticed was there were no cross currents. Where the current should be cutting into the shore from the middle, it was not. Water seemed to be flowing straight out of invisible seems in the rocks. So, I walked up stream a bit more to the dam and noticed the same behavior. Water was flowing, as a current, from the metal and not from the origination of the river.

Here is a YouTube video by gameoxotv. It is not mine, but has a great shot of what I am talking about. The water flowing from rocks is from the 1:03 - 1:06 mark. From the 3:30 to 3:40 mark, you can see that the water acts like there is no concrete in the way to redirect it or cause spray upon collision.

http://youtu.be/cc5RinIdWaY?t=1m3s

This behavior continues in the flooded tunnel in Spring. The water seems to flow without a source and the liquid movement keeps rocking, like the bottle of alcohol, when there is not a source for the motion.

I was wondering if this was for performance issues or perhaps the only way the physics could work, in these cases, to get the maximum water effect.

Any feedback about this effect and physics would be appreciated. I have watched the video of the behind the scenes, that came with the season pass, and noticed the care that was given to each portion of the game. Water was never addressed, but lighting, sound, acting, directing, and music were. I really enjoyed everything about The Last of Us.

I have been a gamer for 27 years. This is, by far, one of my top 3 favorite (possibly first place) and most emotional experiences in gaming.

Message 1 of 24 (577 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
345 posts

Re: Water Movement

Jun 20, 2013

Water is super amazing in this game IMO...

Only thing that botherd me a lot while playing is having weapons stick to your backpack.

Which doesn't even appear in the cutscenes, you know this game is made to be played without weapons,

sticking to the backpack.. this is the biggest frustration i got with this game.

Message 2 of 24 (564 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Jun 20, 2013

One of the funniest and most accurate comments I've heard about the whole weapons-sticking-to-backpack thing is that by the end of the game, when Joel has acquired all the weapons and has the flamethrower on his back, he looks just like a Ghostbuster

Message 3 of 24 (530 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1362 posts

Jun 20, 2013

The stuff you people complain about...

Mother of God. You guys serious? lol. 

Message 4 of 24 (515 Views)
Splicer
52 posts

Jun 21, 2013

I think the water looks great in the game! I also haven't looked as closely at it as you, but little stuff like the source of the water movement doesn't bother me.

Message 5 of 24 (425 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1209 posts

Jun 21, 2013

HoodlumX wrote:

The stuff you people complain about...

Mother of God. You guys serious? lol. 

I thought the same thing....

The Last of Us: 96% Metacritic!!!
Message 6 of 24 (422 Views)
Sackboy
624 posts

Jun 21, 2013
Haha ghostbusters I thought the same .i was like ohh **bleep** this **bleep** about to catch some ghosts slippin
Message 7 of 24 (379 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Message 8 of 24 (365 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
44 posts

[ Edited ]
Jun 21, 2013

The graphics of water in the game are great, but you're correct, the water doesn't flow correctly. I however saw no problems with Tess's whisky when she poured it, perhaps that was a graphical glitch on your end.

I would also like to point out that the PS3 is getting old, some things just can't be processed. Not saying this was the case, but perhaps better flowing water was too buggy, took to many resources, etc. Just a possibility.

Message 9 of 24 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
469 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Nitpicking taken to a whole new level...

---
PSN: Chaystic

add me.
Message 10 of 24 (339 Views)
0 Likes