Jun 21, 2013
Are you fkn kidding me?
Message 11 of 24 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
40 posts

Re: Water Movement

Jun 21, 2013

I'm with OP. When every other detail is so finely crafted, it's a big turnoff to see a poorly-done body of water.

Message 12 of 24 (115 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Again, not a complaint. Just something I noticed. I wrote this after watching the video that you can download, after purchasing the season pass. The behind the scenes movie really goes into detail about trying to keep the player immersed, without pulling them out of the experience. The only thing they did not talk about was the physics with water. They spent a great deal discussing lighting, sound, music, acting, etc. It is a masterpiece, I will say that and have said that it is probably my favorite game; of the past 27 years.

However, my real question here was, is this something they did purposefully due to expense, which they address eloquently in the movie (with memory, lighting, and even colors), or is this something that was missed?

Again, it is not enough of an issue to say it is not a great game. It just startled me, with all the other perfections in the game. It really stood out.

This game is the reason I purchased a PS3 a couple years ago.

So, again, and let me be clear. NOT A COMPLAINT. I would like to know more about this particular physics, because it was really not addressed in the wonderful behind the scenes movie. 

This, by far, has some of the best water effects. It was just something I noticed.

And, yes, I do stop and really take in the environment. I do that with every game. I felt as if I were on this journey and this has some of the most realistic settings; compared to where I have actually visited in Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, and North Carolina. If the developers are going to spend time making a game like this, I am going to look at every detail and take it all in. It is a wonderful experience and definitely something I will remember forever.

So, back to the topic, the question is, again, was this intentional because of the expense water can have, or was it something that was not considered or just too difficult to implement.

Message 13 of 24 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
391 posts

Jun 21, 2013

HoodlumX wrote:

The stuff you people complain about...

Mother of God. You guys serious? lol. 

Being the masterpiece it is there is nothing else to complain about. People will always complain.

Be yourself; everyone else is already taken. - Oscar Wilde
Message 14 of 24 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Jun 21, 2013
LMAO this is a funny thread though lol
Message 15 of 24 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I noticed the alcohol that Tess poured, but I don't think it was a big deal. Although, I did look at it the whole time the camera was focused there Smiley Very Happy.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 16 of 24 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jun 21, 2013
I'm going to take a guess and say the water was a "It's good enough" feature. They made it look good enough to the point it wouldn't break immersion, but didn't pour too much effort into making it beyond that point.
-----------
Message 17 of 24 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jun 21, 2013
^ Sounds like me in school Smiley Very Happy
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 18 of 24 (91 Views)
First Son
8 posts

Jun 21, 2013

As a programmer, I have to always keep resources in front of me. So, I can only imagine the toll it would have taken to introduce cross currents and multilayered water effects. Some of these rivers, in real life, will have currents that produce tiny whirlpools close to the shore, foam, and spray.

There was one point where I was utterly amazed by the water effects. There were bubbles forming from a tiny streamfall and those were hovering on the surface until they popped; when you first enter the sewers. That was the coolest effect I had seen with water physics, in a game.

However, the river and dam area was really noticable. I do think it would lean more towards resources, since the documentary talked about how much lighting, color reflection, and shadows took on everything.

Message 19 of 24 (85 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 21, 2013

Pheist_Ewon wrote:

There is only one feature in The Last of Us that brought me out of the experience, briefly; the water and liquid movement.

Watching the cinematic for Twenty Years Later, I first noticed the strange behavior of liquid. In the bottle of alcohol on the table, that Tess just poured a drink from, the liquid kept moving; even after it would, by physical definition, stop moving. I dismissed it as, maybe, Tess was just really shaking the table by leaning on it.

The part that really tore me away from this world was the beginning of Fall, near the river. I noticed the river and was taken by it; so much that I stopped to watch it. What I noticed was there were no cross currents. Where the current should be cutting into the shore from the middle, it was not. Water seemed to be flowing straight out of invisible seems in the rocks. So, I walked up stream a bit more to the dam and noticed the same behavior. Water was flowing, as a current, from the metal and not from the origination of the river.

Here is a YouTube video by gameoxotv. It is not mine, but has a great shot of what I am talking about. The water flowing from rocks is from the 1:03 - 1:06 mark. From the 3:30 to 3:40 mark, you can see that the water acts like there is no concrete in the way to redirect it or cause spray upon collision.

http://youtu.be/cc5RinIdWaY?t=1m3s

This behavior continues in the flooded tunnel in Spring. The water seems to flow without a source and the liquid movement keeps rocking, like the bottle of alcohol, when there is not a source for the motion.

I was wondering if this was for performance issues or perhaps the only way the physics could work, in these cases, to get the maximum water effect.

Any feedback about this effect and physics would be appreciated. I have watched the video of the behind the scenes, that came with the season pass, and noticed the care that was given to each portion of the game. Water was never addressed, but lighting, sound, acting, directing, and music were. I really enjoyed everything about The Last of Us.

I have been a gamer for 27 years. This is, by far, one of my top 3 favorite (possibly first place) and most emotional experiences in gaming.

Prepare to get slaughtered by the ND groupies, buddy boy.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 20 of 24 (82 Views)
0 Likes