Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 29 2013
By: Lt_K4RL0S Wastelander 604 posts

What should a Co-op be based on?

[ Edited ]
10 replies 390 views Edited Jul 29, 2013

Everyone seems convinced Naughty Dog are doing a co-op DLC. I haven't seen anything concrete but for now I'll just roll with it.

I'm curious as to what the co-op will be. You've got your generic horde mode, story based mini-missions providing players with point A to point B, then there's various other objective based game types like the ones in Uncharted 3. Then, there's also who or what the hostile NPCs will be.

A lot of people want to go up against waves of infected, but if you ask me that won't be very fun, nor will it require any kind of strategic gameplay as most of the infected will charge at you when you enter their line of sight. In my opinion, we should be pitched against Hunters and occassionally the infected. There's a greater variety of enemies with hunters, and you also have to play smart to take them down.

Players could have the ability to mark enemies, just like in competitve. You could designate loadouts to your character and from then on will you only be able to pick up ammo for the weapon you have. The game could progress in waves, starting out in stealth and depending on the player's efficiency, could end up as a gigantic panic of gunfire and waste of supplies.

What do you guys think it should be?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (390 Views)
Splicer
56 posts

Re: What should a Co-op be based on?

Jul 29, 2013

I haven't played too many uncharted games but I would judge any possible co-op TLOU DLC on their previous work. Now I want to look up Uncharted COOP and see what I can find. But I imagine it will be loosely story based mini-missions, point A to B like you said but probably with some good hordesque moments thrown in there. I'm just hoping they include co-op where you go up against other humans and infected at once. I wouldn't want to go up against waves of just humans though. There are too many other games like that to waste the opportunity with the infected adding the horror element it needs. Plus, the humans would be so much more fun to fight with infected running around. Ah, the chaos that would ensue... 

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (385 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 29, 2013

Team-work. 

Basically what you described sounds good to me.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (348 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

Jul 29, 2013
I'd like to see a mode similar, but not identical, to horde mode, where a group of players has to work together to transport supplies from a cache somewhere in the middle of the map to a drop area.

During this, waves of Infected will be coming at the players, although it will be possible to sneak around them, set traps, etc - basically it shouldn't just be blowing all the infected away like in Gears or COD Zombies.

One person would have to carry a box of supplies, while the rest had to protect him from infected or hunters along the way.

There would be a time limit, and the more boxes of supplies (parts) the team has collected, the more parts they get at the end of the game. That would add a little bit more strategy and force more teamwork.

Right now, at least in public games, I see a lot f people just running around looking out for themselves, and not caring about their teammates. It's boring to play with people like that. Teamwork makes everything more fun.

Also, possibly (although this is a little far-fetched and VERY unlikely to ever happen) you could start the game with 4 infected and 4 humans, with infected trying to prevent the supplies from being taken to the drop point. Might be cool to play as infected and use some of their abilities to stalk and ambush fools. I'd have a ton of fun with that.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (321 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
56 posts

Jul 29, 2013

Watched some UC2 co-op footage and it looks linear and story based using characters from the campaign. But that was Uncharted, this is TLOU so still no way of knowing what to expect. 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
8052 posts

Jul 30, 2013
The Last of Us: Hot Coffee mode

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (267 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
18101 posts

Jul 30, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
The Last of Us: Hot Coffee mode

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (261 Views)
First Son
17 posts

Aug 7, 2013

I don't want waves. every game has waves. I'd like to have huge maps or multi-part maps simular to single player, hunting supplies or some kind of goal. Infected all over that you take out with arms or stealth or whatever, make it like the game, running and gunning will get you killed.

These things were uspposed to wipe out most of humanity, keep the tension there, just involve four players in an awesomely large map or series of maps. And hell, if they can tell a story about a small group of survivors,t hat would eb even more awesome.

Last of us is unique, horde mode is just generic. I want to think about it, I want to keep the strategy involved.

For fun, I'd love to see survivor style matches with infected on them. Two teams, large map, infected scattered about. It would add a whole new element to the existing multiplayer. And if they add in an overall goal where you have not only kill the enemy team but accomplish somthing (loot a store for food, take it off your enemies etc.) then you cna't just run in and bring the infected to your enemy team because you'll screw your own team in the process.

That would be truly awesome last of us multiplayer. Hard to fire a gun when there may be a clicker in earshot.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (177 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Aug 7, 2013

it will be nice an open world where survivors have to find supllies and defend from infected and others players who want to steal the supplies. 

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
261 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 7, 2013

SaphironX wrote:

I don't want waves. every game has waves. I'd like to have huge maps or multi-part maps simular to single player, hunting supplies or some kind of goal. Infected all over that you take out with arms or stealth or whatever, make it like the game, running and gunning will get you killed.

These things were uspposed to wipe out most of humanity, keep the tension there, just involve four players in an awesomely large map or series of maps. And hell, if they can tell a story about a small group of survivors,t hat would eb even more awesome.

Last of us is unique, horde mode is just generic. I want to think about it, I want to keep the strategy involved.

For fun, I'd love to see survivor style matches with infected on them. Two teams, large map, infected scattered about. It would add a whole new element to the existing multiplayer. And if they add in an overall goal where you have not only kill the enemy team but accomplish somthing (loot a store for food, take it off your enemies etc.) then you cna't just run in and bring the infected to your enemy team because you'll screw your own team in the process.

That would be truly awesome last of us multiplayer. Hard to fire a gun when there may be a clicker in earshot.

I think you're right; just regular Horde mode doesn't fit with the game mechanics of TLoU. Maybe an objective-based "hordesque" mode where a group of four players must move from A to B while collecting X supplies, then moves from B to C after destroying Y boxx, then moving from C to D by desroying or bombing an objective, the moving from D to E carrying a child like Ellie and protecting her, etc etc, you get the idea.

There absolutely needs to be a lot of strategy retained, and the concept of "waves", now that some have pointed it out, probably wouldn't work in TLoU either due to scarcity of supplies, etc - it's just not that type of game.

Also, I think it'd be cool if both infected and hunters were involved in trying to kill you as you make it from objective to objective. Regardless I have enormous confidence in Naughty Dog and I think they'll come up with some great modes; they have some true gaming geniuses there.

What I'm really wondering is how they will incorporate all of this into the meta-game, or if they will make a sort of seperate meta-game for different modes. I'd prefer if it all linked into your clan - basically all modes tie into the meta-game somehow. I'd really like to see an enhancement in the breadth and depth of the metagame.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (110 Views)
0 Likes