Aug 19 2013
By: Scthye Hekseville Citizen 274 posts

What would have Tommy done if he did take Ellie?

12 replies 774 views Edited Aug 19, 2013
We get to learn a lot about Tommy as a person very quickly in the small amount of time we see him in the game. Him and Joel have different views on surviving. Joel will do whatever means necessary to keep him and who he holds close to him alive: stealing, ambushing, murder, etc... Nothing is really off limits. However tommy isn't like that he wants to help people if he capable of doing so. Tommy doesn't do what Joel considers "surviving" he only seems willing to kill and steal from people that are the hunters. Now if Tommy took Ellie would he had done what Joel did? Would he bond with Ellie so quickly that he wouldn't want to give her up? Would he just drop her off and go home? On a side note what do you think Joel would do if he let tommy take her? Would he follow them? Go back home?
Message 1 of 13 (774 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Re: What would have Tommy done if he did take Ellie?

Aug 19, 2013

Well, knowing that Joel actually cared about Ellie at that point...

As far as Joel is concerned, he would have likely gone off on his own to some unknown, and uncared for, location.  This is applying the mindset that he would not go to the University.  He would have likely kept on surviving, because it's in his instincts to do so.

As for Tommy and Ellie traveling together... they both would have been dead.  Assuming that they did make it to the University, at that location the Hunters would have killed them.  Or whatever Hunters they first came across.  I'm simply not confident in Tommy's abilities.  I know it's a game, and they expect you to do the majority of the work, but I've spent time watching Tommy perform terribly during the dam sequence.

Message 2 of 13 (724 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Aug 19, 2013

I think Joel would have gone off on his own following his own compass of survival.  I think Tommy would have derailed any attempts of taking Ellie to the Fireflys but Marlene would be searching for her for sure too so all that would be interesting.  In the mean time Tommy would be trying to wash Ellie's mouth out with soap...  I'd like to see that.  And at that he might very well let her run off.  After all, for some reason, she is the only one who because of her immunity just has to give up her life if that's what it takes to save the surviving 40% of the human race with a vaccine.

IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...IMO...

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 3 of 13 (666 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
10767 posts

Aug 19, 2013
They would not have gone very far since Tommy doesn't have a magic backpack.

FINALsignatureAK.png

Message 4 of 13 (646 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Aug 20, 2013
He would have died. If you found the recorder in the hospital, Marlene says that she only let Joel live because "he understood the magnitude of this decision." Joel's action may not be as selfish as you think. Most parents would trade the world for their kids. The question is, does Ellie want to be Joel's kid? She definitely cares a lot about him, but I don't think she would have made the same choice.
Message 5 of 13 (598 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Aug 20, 2013

Spiderdan wrote:
He would have died. If you found the recorder in the hospital, Marlene says that she only let Joel live because "he understood the magnitude of this decision." Joel's action may not be as selfish as you think. Most parents would trade the world for their kids. The question is, does Ellie want to be Joel's kid? She definitely cares a lot about him, but I don't think she would have made the same choice.

The 'magnitude' Joel understood was the importance of developing a vaccine and how important Ellie could be to that end..._not_ that Ellie was going to give her life up without any say on her part.  I want to hear or read Ellie's lines where she says she was willing to die to find a vaccine.  Until Ellie was examined (unconscious I might add) no one knew they were going to kill her.  This seems to keep sailing over everyones heads.

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 6 of 13 (565 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1335 posts

Aug 21, 2013
Actually during the bus depot level she says she will go with Joel wherever he wants after it's over...
Whether she'd give her life willingly to save humanity or not is up for grabs.
Joel wouldn't let her though.
Message 7 of 13 (500 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Aug 22, 2013

true very true also she trusts joel more than Tommy and wants to always be their with him

Message 8 of 13 (470 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
866 posts

Aug 22, 2013

Tommy was bad-àss, the dam sequence did not do him justice. That bandit attack was the "gamiest" thing about this game. Put there for no other reason other then to give you a shoot'em up moment.

MaidenVelka wrote:

Well, knowing that Joel actually cared about Ellie at that point...

As far as Joel is concerned, he would have likely gone off on his own to some unknown, and uncared for, location.  This is applying the mindset that he would not go to the University.  He would have likely kept on surviving, because it's in his instincts to do so.

As for Tommy and Ellie traveling together... they both would have been dead.  Assuming that they did make it to the University, at that location the Hunters would have killed them.  Or whatever Hunters they first came across.  I'm simply not confident in Tommy's abilities.  I know it's a game, and they expect you to do the majority of the work, but I've spent time watching Tommy perform terribly during the dam sequence.

Message 9 of 13 (465 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
328 posts

Aug 22, 2013

Thinking about it they are all shoot 'em up moments where one puts the story acting asside, play guns for a while, and then pick up the story and resume.  Well, maybe they aren't all that bad but I know how much shooting distracts me from the value I try to glean from a game.  Stealth would have been a lot more fun for me if I could have successfully played it out but there were countless times it seems where at some point stealth always broke down and I would just hide Joel in the best location I could find and provoke the enemies, whomever they were, to find him upon which he would shoot them sometimes point blank with a half dozen ending up dead in a 10 foot radius--THEN I would return Joel and Ellie to adventure on.

It's the SP story that everyone loves talking about but the MP shooting stuff so many (myself excluded obviously) love playing.  Well, some of you will make great hunters when TLoU plays out one day in real life.  I don't think the human race can change and make any difference.  All you have to do is look at warfare today.  It is really quite sad with a whole universe out there.  We've reached a scientific pinnacle where we understand for the first time so much about life and our place in the universe yet a majority of us would rather believe in our ancient 'fantasy world' and just kill in the name of your favorite god or cause.

~{Ratsneve}~
Message 10 of 13 (430 Views)