VP of Gaming
34138 posts

Re: Who Is Ish?

Jun 22, 2013

jkerz wrote:

the_original_se wrote:
Spoiler
when you get to the underground area that is like a school for kids, you find more stuff about Ish. he was a soldier in the early years of the outbreak who guarded the kids and people in that underground shelter. it didnt work out so well.

disregard that, i forgot about some of the letters you get after that part of the game.

I hope he made it out when it was attacked...

in letters you find later it hints that he was the one who wrote the warning on the outside of the door about the infected.

Message 11 of 34 (890 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Ish was the guy that owned the damaged boat at the beginning of the sewer levels. He wound up taking the sewers with a group of survivors who he allowed to join up with him. Eventually the sewers were overrun and he escaped with Sara and a couple of kids. It is implied he had feelings for Sara. His last note was in the suburbs and after that we never hear from Ish again. Hope he made it. His notes made him seem like a cool guy.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 12 of 34 (885 Views)
First Son
26 posts

Jun 22, 2013

Dude, that would be awesome. There could very easily be an Ish DLC. The prologue would be him waving to Joel, then his family dying and getting to a boat, then skip to the massacre at the sewers after you get familiar with the families. That would be **bleep** awesome.

Message 13 of 34 (883 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
317 posts

Jun 22, 2013
This just in. Ish was spotted in Bill's town.... splattered all over the wall. Smiley Happy
"If your choice is to save me over everybody else in the world then...ok. I trust you now and let’s live life.." ~TheVulcanSalute
Message 14 of 34 (876 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1084 posts

Jun 22, 2013

No way Ish is the man that Tommy drove past in the Prologue, that would be WAAYY To cliche and ND has avoided the over-used cliches in TLOU which I absolutely love. I would like to find out more about Ish tho.

photo c2360113-3b52-4c69-8e36-3bb37cb9501c_zps713c8462.png
Message 15 of 34 (814 Views)
Fender Bender
3354 posts

Jun 23, 2013

Ish was on a mother**bleep**ing boat when the outbreak happened.

EyeCue86 is a symbol of free speech. Any attempt to censor EyeCue86 is an act of evil.

"It's that time of the month again, Joel." -Ellie, The Last of Us

"It's that time of the month again, Joel"
-Ellie, The Last of Us
Message 16 of 34 (792 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Jun 23, 2013

EyeCue86 wrote:

Ish was on a mother**bleep**ing boat when the outbreak happened.

Alright! Finally someone gets it!

Message 17 of 34 (786 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1976 posts

Jun 23, 2013

What I got out of it was he was the only survivor of a boat crash , and he hid out in the sewers for a long time until one day he came across a group of peopel with children , after seting them on there way , he felt remorse , He was loney and he realy had nothing to lose so he whent out in search of them . he found them and brought them back to live with him, and soon his little establishment thrived untill the outbreak broke out  and he and a few others managed to escape. 

If anything its forshadowing the fall of Tommys establishment. 

Message 18 of 34 (748 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 10, 2013

Ish is a short side story that ND told on behalf of all their inspirations, I believe. The name "ISH" comes from the 1940's novel, Earth Abides by George R. Stewart; one of the first post-apocalyptic sci-fi novels ever written. The main character of the story is named Isherwood "Ish" Williams who finds a wife after the fall of the society and decides to work with her to help rebuild it. Part three of the story is about Ish's final years where all of his efforts to recreate society are lost and he is left to reflect upon the way humans have reverted to a very primitive state. He reflects on if this is actually not for the better, and hopes this new society will not make the same mistakes as the old one. 

I believe the story of "Ish" was to draw peoples' attention to other works of art that have come before The Last of Us. I think it's they're way of saying, "thanks for the inspiration".  Regardless of all that, Ish was an awesome character and I was pretty dumbfounded when I stumbled across a note from 'him' on that boat for the first time. 

Hope this is what you were looking for! :]

Message 19 of 34 (567 Views)
Last Guardian
11297 posts

Jul 10, 2013
Who's Rachel?
Message 20 of 34 (560 Views)
0 Likes