Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Apr 30 2013
By: Lt_K4RL0S Wastelander 604 posts

Who really is the main character?

11 replies 218 views Edited Apr 30, 2013

I'm having a hard time deciding which character should be considered the main character (between Joel and Ellie of course). Some would argue Joel, for starters he is the one we play as, and it's his perspective we view the story from. He has a history from both worlds, something that may or may not be looked into. But then we have Ellie, the particularly interesting character who's knowledge of the real world is somewhat distorted. She is the main reason Joel and Ellie are embarking on this Journey and has some kind of importance hence the reason she is wanted by (No spoilers) those outside of the quarrantine zones.

Then there's the idea that the duo of characters should be considered as one, that they are one in the same and hold equal importance as the main role. That makes sense but only if you forget the fact they're both very different from one another.

According to common gaming lore the character you play as is the main character, as it's their perspective you view the world from. Therefore Joel is to be considered the main character.

If Ellie is considered to be the main character, would this mean The Last of Us is the first game to have an NPC as a main character? (To my knowledge at least).

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 12 (218 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Re: Who really is the main character?

Apr 30, 2013
Well, I would argue that Elizabeth in Bioshock: Infinite was the first NPC main character. That game's story pretty much revolved around her.
 photo 492afe7a-5d47-473d-9476-3a8036a31d5b_zps4955703f.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 12 (209 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
604 posts

Apr 30, 2013
I was going to bring that up but I'm yet to play the game myself so I'm not exactly in a position to make the comparison
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 12 (207 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Apr 30, 2013

I've sort of always saw it as they both are equally important even though we will only be playing as Joel.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 12 (195 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
4 posts

Apr 30, 2013

they're both equally important as you play as Joel but learn about both of their lives while survivng the disease

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 12 (186 Views)
Lombax Warrior
113 posts

Apr 30, 2013

this ^

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 12 (184 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
384 posts

Apr 30, 2013
I think both of them have what it takes to be main characters. They both have really cool stories. So i find it interesting because that rarely happens in games. Usually the other characters aren't as deep or have as much back story as you but in this game it looks like that is the case.

All I know is I want a sequel that's a movie where Ellen page plays an older ellie.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 12 (165 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Host
8374 posts

Apr 30, 2013
Whoever they are now, in the sequel, I want ALL black characters. Every...single...one!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 12 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
349 posts

Apr 30, 2013

AKyemeni wrote:
Whoever they are now, in the sequel, I want ALL black characters. Every...single...one!

But the black guys always die first :smileysad:

Youtube channel: harrisj1616
Twitch: harrisj16
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 12 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2055 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

^ The shortest game in history. 

IMO, the main character is Joel. Just like in Bio: I, Booker is the one who changes and molds her throughout his experiences and adventures with her. If he never arrived, what would of changed? Same situation with Ellie. Joel and Ellie will both have substantial roles in the game but, I still see Joel as the main character. That's just my take.   

Again, I say this not beause Ellie is un-important or anything. She is. She is influential, interesting and all that. But, just like Elizabeth, with the main character they would continue to reside in their prisons (Quarantine/Tower). WIthout the main character's intervening, both girls would be stuck, never freed and not allowed to evolve and grow as characters/people. I hope I'm getting my point across as In just woke up 10 minutes ago.

Joel: That's alright. I believe him.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 12 (140 Views)
0 Likes